Planetside 2 - ESport? - Page 7 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Your mom's new boyfriend
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-05-31, 10:59 AM   [Ignore Me] #91
Vancha
Colonel

Re: Planetside 2 - ESport?

Originally Posted by Dreamcast View Post
Maybe just make it once a year thing...kind of like an olympics or just let players deal with it .
My god, 7 pages and it's only Dreamcast to mention this, of all people?!

Has no one here ever watched the EVE Alliance Tournaments? I think the term "e-sports" has people looking in entirely the wrong places.

I could even see the team compositions working the same way as EVE's. Outfit vs outfit, each one getting say, 1000pts to spend on team members. Imagine it working a bit like a Warhammer 40k fight, where each player chooses a troop or vehicle choice for a certain amount of points and then spends more points equipping it and themselves. That way the tournament can be better balanced year on year without affecting the main game.

Making it work that way also utilizes Planetside's unusual amount of roles and sidegrades, unlike most other "e-sports".

Edit: Obviously this would need it's own instanced area. Again, I imagine it working quite similar to EVE's Alliance Tournaments, with an SOE referee summoning players there. As to what the environment or objectives could be? Who knows? The possibilities are almost endless.

Originally Posted by Rumblepit View Post
the COE himself said it. Smed also i mite be wrong but i thought i remember higby talking about 40 v 40 outfit wars aswell.this is ALPHA and subject to change, as they say.lol
You're just repeating yourself. Link to the post/video/tweet/whatever that Smed or Higby said this in.

Last edited by Vancha; 2012-05-31 at 11:03 AM.
Old 2012-05-31, 11:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #92
Fable
Private

Originally Posted by Vancha View Post
Has no one here ever watched the EVE Alliance Tournaments? I think the term "e-sports" has people looking in entirely the wrong places.

I could even see the team compositions working the same way as EVE's. Outfit vs outfit, each one getting say, 1000pts to spend on team members. Imagine it working a bit like a Warhammer 40k fight, where each player chooses a troop or vehicle choice for a certain amount of points and then spends more points equipping it and themselves. That way the tournament can be better balanced year on year without affecting the main game.

Making it work that way also utilizes Planetside's unusual amount of roles and sidegrades, unlike most other "e-sports".

Edit: Obviously this would need it's own instanced area. Again, I imagine it working quite similar to EVE's Alliance Tournaments, with an SOE referee summoning players there. As to what the environment or objectives could be? Who knows? The possibilities are almost endless.
What you described is more like a normal tournament, when the goal is to simply find out who is the best and that's the end. We're talking about organized e-sports with prices, sponzors and shoutcasters.
Old 2012-05-31, 11:25 AM   [Ignore Me] #93
Vancha
Colonel

Originally Posted by Fable View Post
What you described is more like a normal tournament, when the goal is to simply find out who is the best and that's the end. We're talking about organized e-sports with prices, sponzors and shoutcasters.
Again, look at EAT. It has all those things (well it has commentators, if not shoutcasters).

If you consider the Olympics to consist of "sport", I don't know why you couldn't consider an electronic competition that takes place four times more often to be an "e-sport", but like I say, I think the term has people looking at this in the wrong way. You can't just copy/paste one game's competitive scene onto another.

Last edited by Vancha; 2012-05-31 at 11:26 AM.
Old 2012-05-31, 11:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #94
lolroflroflcake
Staff Sergeant

You can't do E-sport in Planetside its that simple I can't believe your still arguing about it. Either you make it small platoon or outfit sized matches in which case it ceases to be Planetside and the Planetside "pros" wont be pros at all just silly little babies with chips on their shoulders playing a totally different game, or you keep it on the live server which totally precludes any sort of tournament set up because every person in the game contributes to a victory and thus the teams who are actually competing in the Planetside E-sport league deserve jack squat, as their "victory" really belongs to their entire empire more then it belongs to them.

Last edited by lolroflroflcake; 2012-05-31 at 11:46 AM.
Old 2012-05-31, 11:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #95
Fable
Private

Again, look at EAT. It has all those things (well it has commentators, if not shoutcasters).

If you consider the Olympics to consist of "sport", I don't know why you couldn't consider an electronic competition that takes place four times more often to be an "e-sport", but like I say, I think the term has people looking at this in the wrong way. You can't just copy/paste one game's competitive scene onto another.
That's 10 vs 10 people against each other in 10 minutes long matches, nowhere near Planetside 2 scale.

I hope devs will come up with something, I just don't see what it could be.
Old 2012-05-31, 12:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #96
Xaine
Major

I regret using the term Esport in my title and original post. It seems to bring connotations I didn't mean it to. My fault.
Old 2012-05-31, 12:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #97
Vancha
Colonel

That's 10 vs 10 people against each other in 10 minutes long matches, nowhere near Planetside 2 scale.
What's your point, in relation to the post of mine you quoted?
Old 2012-05-31, 12:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #98
Fable
Private

What's your point, in relation to the post of mine you quoted?
I meant those EAT matches. It's much easier to organize and shoutcast that.
Old 2012-05-31, 12:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #99
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

I would actually like to see some new age of competitive play - when you have an outfit fighting an outfit without separation from the main fight. What I mean is "interactive competition" where 1 outfit gets a mission to "Defend A" and another outfit gets a mission to "Attack A". The amount of people is the only limitation there, limit it to a full 10-man squad. Yet you can call for outfit mates, on condition, that they will not be a part of your platoon, you can call in the zerg or allied outfits to help you with the case, but credit for the outcome will go solely to your outfit. If there's a spectator options for those matches, than they should be restricted to view from the eyes of those 20 competing.

I know it's one crazy idea and is obviously way TOOOOOOOOOOO situational, but, hell, trying something new (especially if it goes live before the OBT), shaking up the standards and "unsetting things from the stone" will be an interesting move.

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
Shields.. these are a decent compromise between the console jockeys that want recharging health, and the glorious pc gaming master race that generally doesn't.

Last edited by NewSith; 2012-05-31 at 12:43 PM.
This is the last VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-05-31, 12:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #100
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

It is simply a matter of focus and priority. You cant do MMO and ESport together without half assing one or the other. Splitting the game vision and over-reaching is a sure path to failure. The vision of PS2 is massive combat on an epic scale. Catering to ESport stupidity is a huge detour from that vision. I really hope the developers arent that stupid. They seem to have their heads on straight so far so I have faith they wont get sidetracked by a gaming fad.
Old 2012-05-31, 12:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #101
SniperSteve
First Lieutenant

If PS2 were to become an e-sport I would think it would need to have an entirely different flavor than other casted games.
Old 2012-05-31, 12:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #102
Mechzz
Major

When the game of football (soccer) started in England in the Middle ages, it was played by "teams" composed of the entire populations of two close by villages. The game involved trying to propel an inflated pig's bladder into one or other of the village squares. It was not uncommon for games to last all day and to involve much drunkenness and broken bones.

A proper planetside e-sports broadcast would capture this flavour except in an Auraxian setting.
Old 2012-05-31, 12:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #103
Vancha
Colonel

I meant those EAT matches. It's much easier to organize and shoutcast that.
It depends on the set-up. I imagine having the commentators screen split into quarters with four invisible floating cameramen trying to catch all relevant bits of the action. Stuff like that.

Tempted to mock-up an army list and map in photoshop.
Old 2012-05-31, 01:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #104
Fable
Private

It depends on the set-up. I imagine having the commentators screen split into quarters with four invisible floating cameramen trying to catch all relevant bits of the action. Stuff like that.

Tempted to mock-up an army list and map in photoshop.
Do that, I would like to see someone pulling this out in a way that would work.
Old 2012-05-31, 01:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #105
Neurotoxin
First Lieutenant

FANTASY PLATOON LEAGUES

I thought about this, and I think a Fantasy Platoon (or Outfit) League would be the way to go.

Something that functions in a similar way to a Fantasy league for any major sport, except that it is honed and refined for stats related to PlanetSide 2. Things like Kills, Deaths, Resources earned, Experience, Certs unlocked, Revives, Equipment repairs, and terminal hacks (and other stuff) would be factors utilized to determine stats and effectiveness of characters. Or it could simply be based on experience earned.

Or many other ways, I really don't follow the fantasy sports scene but I feel like this would be an easy and interesting way to infuse eSports into PS2.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion