Vehicles are far too SQUISHY! - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Captain, Jean Luc Picarrrrrd, U.S.S. Enterprrrise
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-06-08, 04:47 AM   [Ignore Me] #31
Bags
Lieutenant General

Re: Vehicles are far too SQUISHY!

Originally Posted by Redshift View Post
The gal needs to be able to take a bit of a beating, but only if it's in troop transport mode, if it's GG it needs to be weaker. Tbh it's prob a good thing if vehicles are a bit weaker than they were in the first one.
You call this a bit weaker?
Old 2012-06-08, 04:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #32
Nasher
Sergeant

First thing I'll be doing is going full on burster MAX and just sit in some obscure corner. I bet the amount of kills you get on day 1 would be insane :P
Old 2012-06-08, 05:08 AM   [Ignore Me] #33
Redshift
Major

Originally Posted by Bags View Post
You call this a bit weaker?
didn't see the second or third day streams, but personally i'm not gonna cry too much i only ever used the ATV :P
Old 2012-06-08, 07:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #34
Dart
Second Lieutenant

See my issue is that I'm not sure this is an oversight. I know everyone keeps saying 'this'll be fixed in beta' but that's assuming it wasn't intentional...

I agree with cyco regarding the principles of heavy vehicles providing a sizable advantage to their occupants, due to the required teamwork involved. However watching the stream I can't help but conclude that, certainly in an AMP Station, SOE don't want to see that kind of teamwork comprehensively rewarded or a great deal of spawn camping would ensue!

As I say, I think that is a fault of the AMS Station map in particular which is why I'd rather see that particular map changed, instead of simply nerfing every vehicle.

Oh and for the record, the guy trying to land the Galaxy on flat terrain and taking 50% damage was an SOE tester who was solely flying Galaxies for the entire playtest. Put another way, if he's having difficulty, the 'casual gamer' is going to die... a lot!
Old 2012-06-08, 08:13 AM   [Ignore Me] #35
MyMeatStick
Sergeant

The terrain does look like it needs a nerf of sorts, I found it uneasy when every aircraft tried to land either blew up or took massive damage even with a rather soft landing.
Old 2012-06-08, 08:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #36
Whalenator
Second Lieutenant

Vehicles are just too weak.
MAXes shouldn't blow up MBTs unless they surprise them, are in a group and get the rear advantage. Heh, rear advantage.

NC Brig. General ಠ_ರೃ
Old 2012-06-08, 11:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #37
Shogun
Contributor
General

i agree. the vehicles cost ressources now, so they should take some more punching!

and for all the guys who complain that this would make it hard for a soldier to take down a tank... shut the fuck up! that´s the whole point of combat vehicles! the guy in a tank contributed ressources to get it, and you expect to be able to frag it easily with no costs for you? buy a tank or plane for yourself and you get the firepower to deal with a tank! or gather some friends and take a team approach on the tank.
there will be more than enough soldiers on the field to help you.

the landing damage is clearly a bug and not intentional. hope this will be fixed for beta as well.

stand tall, fight bold, wear blue and gold!
Old 2012-06-08, 11:04 AM   [Ignore Me] #38
GreatMazinkaise
Captain

TTKs will go up across the board when the full impact of five hundred players spamming in a single base is felt. As high as the TTK in the original game is, there were many times where simply going outside or going down a hallway resulted in an instant trip the the respawn screen.
Old 2012-06-08, 11:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #39
velleity
Corporal

I agree, Dart. We were commenting last night that the ttks on them seem a bit fast. Not sure if that because of the collision damage being high or not. The consensus was that the lib seems to tank better then tanks.

Hope you've been well and give demo, andeh and the others my <3 when you see them.
Old 2012-06-08, 11:36 AM   [Ignore Me] #40
Duddy
First Sergeant

I certainly felt there were moments where vehicles died a little fast, more so with terrain collision damage which seemed somewhat over the top.

I think the vehicles being hit in the hind side, alternatively their weakest armour, should be dying quicker though. With that in mind, a lot of vehicle death looked to be this kind of scenario.

I'd say "wait for beta" but I think this may be somewhat intentional when considering the resource model. Weaker stuff that dies more easily means more resources spent on the vehicles.

Provided that damage and cost find a suitable level I think this will play a significant role in vehicular balance.
Old 2012-06-08, 12:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #41
kaffis
Contributor
Major

Squishy vehicles are what happens when you make all vehicles valid one-man combatants. They have to be balanced around only being one guy.

Let's have the drivers give up their weapons for beefier vehicles!
Old 2012-06-08, 12:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #42
Tamas
Staff Sergeant

Yup. Seems vehicles exploded way too easily - too infantry fire and other vehicles. Landing damage - that must be a bug or the air vehicles are made from glass...

No doubt Beta will fix this.
Old 2012-06-08, 12:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #43
MrMorton
Sergeant

I agree that the enviromental damage was far too drastic (especially considering how "durable" infantry were when falling)

but as far as being too squishy against actually weapons, that is something to sort out in beta

Last edited by MrMorton; 2012-06-08 at 12:47 PM.
Old 2012-06-10, 12:58 AM   [Ignore Me] #44
Vexus
Private

All of the vehicles seemed surprisingly fragile to me. At a minimum, I would consider improving the survivability of the MBT's and installing landing gear that absorbed impact for aircraft.

As a former World of Tanks player, I was a bit shocked at the lack of armor on tanks in the PS2 alpha videos and E3 streams.

As a fan of military movies and military history, I'm also shocked by the effectiveness of AA ground weapons. Clearly that technology has advanced tremendously by the time of Planetside 2. It was like every flak cannon was on steroids, heh. If it is needed for balance, so be it. But it was quite a surprise.
Old 2012-06-10, 01:03 AM   [Ignore Me] #45
lolroflroflcake
Staff Sergeant

When you explode because you backed into a rock you know the collision damage is a little off. What we all need to do in beta is make a bunch of noise about that so its changed. Unless you all want rocks and trees to be even more lethal then they were in the original.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion