TR control point color is green?.... - Page 4 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: I can see you...
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-06-09, 10:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #46
Gonefshn
Contributor
Major

Re: TR control point color is green?....

Definitely needs to be a UI option.

Seems like it would be all to easy to implement. It would be nice to let you choose either to have friendly be green or your empire's color.
Old 2012-06-09, 11:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #47
Synnoc
Contributor
Private

I'm not really color blind, but I need a lot of light to see colors clearly, so some other differentiator would be helpful to me. Could I suggest using the empire shapes as well as color? If a point is held by the NC, it would show up as a green square to the NC and a blue square to the other factions. A TR-held point would be a green circle or red circle, and the VS would have a green or purple triangle.
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-06-09, 12:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #48
arclegger
PlanetSide 2
Level Designer

Not sure if you guys could tell or not. Go back and check the stream, we also had diamond shape for enemy controlled and square shaped for you controlled.

Also, just because we don't want to overwhelm and confuse the player during their first play session does not mean we are dumbing down the game. Most people only give a game 1 try, maybe 5 min top (especially free to play). The last thing you want is new TR players shooting other TR and trying to capture their own points because they see red on the UI.

P.S. The new neutral is that nanite systems color palette that tray showed a while back.
Old 2012-06-09, 12:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #49
Nobel
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by CViolet View Post
Doesn't matter to me either way, but it seems like one of those tings that you really shouldn't devote that much thought too. stuff like this usually falls under the umbrella of the learning curve and common sense.. No real need to simplify something that is innately simple. Additionally, there's the psychological reward of "fuck yo blue couch, this shit is purple now." Maybe that's just me.

This, to me, is a really closed minded way of thinking. We want the game to feel natural and intuitive to as many people as possible, games most often lose people in the first 30 minutes of gameplay, simply from confusion.

Instead, we (the veterans) must understand there will be a new learning curve for us in some instances, especially on something that doesn't REALLY effect gameplay for us, but might for a newer player.
Old 2012-06-09, 12:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #50
GuyFawkes
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by arclegger View Post
Not sure if you guys could tell or not. Go back and check the stream, we also had diamond shape for enemy controlled and square shaped for you controlled.

Also, just because we don't want to overwhelm and confuse the player during their first play session does not mean we are dumbing down the game. Most people only give a game 1 try, maybe 5 min top (especially free to play). The last thing you want is new TR players shooting other TR and trying to capture their own points because they see red on the UI.

P.S. The new neutral is that nanite systems color palette that tray showed a while back.
surely you should be changing all tr to green if you become a tr , yet still remain red to the enemy. Id hate for them to shoot a fellow tr just because they are red and might get confused.

if you are going to do this, fine . but do it for all empires . or give them their first mission when they log to help them overcome this confusion . I get your reasoning, just dont want to be part of a 'loyalty unless its red' faction

edit : just to reiterate ,even Matt Hibgy stated on many occasions '' Planetside is all about faction loyalty'' . Red is the color of the tr ,people joining it from day 1 should have it drummed into them from the get go that RED = GOOD , IF ITS NOT RED IT SHOULD BE DEAD.

Last edited by GuyFawkes; 2012-06-09 at 01:19 PM.
Old 2012-06-09, 12:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #51
Gonefshn
Contributor
Major

very good point, the empire's red color could definitely confuse someone who maybe just heard about planetside at launch and said, "what the hell lets give this a go"

Definitely have the default setting players start out on be green for friendly. But having that option to change to faction colors should def be there.

I'm sure you'll have popup tooltips or "hints" when players make a new character that explains certain things as they happen as well.
Old 2012-06-09, 12:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #52
Tamas
Staff Sergeant

Just to clarify:

MY faction controlled points will be shown as green, while the enemy faction control points will be of their respective colors (red, blue/yellow? and purple).
So If I'm NC I see all NC points in Green, while Vanu is purple and TR is red?

I like this kind of system if this is correct.
Old 2012-06-09, 12:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #53
Mod
Master Sergeant

I saw that all the green symbols were square. But I'm sure that all the other 3 colours were circles?
Old 2012-06-09, 01:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #54
GTGD
First Sergeant

I'm pretty pessimistic, but even I think you're overestimating how dumb the average player is. First of all, the whole "red = bad, wait no it's good!?" confusion only has a chance of happening if they go TR. Second, it's confusing the first couple times you see your base go red and yet nobody is shooting at you, but it's very easy people to catch on.

The big problem is that it really disassociates the color themes of the empires. Instead of red = TR, blue = NC, purple = VS, you will have people thinking in terms of "green = friendly, not green = enemy". That would definitely work for the health bars and little icons above enemies names, but in terms of territory it is just kind of confusing. And if you mix the two by doing green/not-green on the objectives and red/blue/purple on the map, it just makes things even more confusing.

I know this is being done in order to ease the transition from other shooters to PS2, but there will be plenty of things that new players are going to have to overcome that are potential dealbreakers. The concept of friendly fire is foreign to most people to begin with, and the fact that you won't be able to get almost anything done by yourself is another. I don't think asking them to differentiate 3 colors on the UI will be a tall order. Unless character models of your empire are going to be reskinned in green, people are going to be TKing by mistake anyway until they learn the models. By forcing people to learn the color associations in the UI, if anything it will speed up the process and the period of accidental TKs will be shorter.
Old 2012-06-09, 01:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #55
IMMentat
Contributor
First Sergeant

Its the difference between player recognition of in game colours/models and traditional UI set-up.

I have no problem where on a UI, green = good, anything else = bad.
As long as its clear what is happening all will be fine.

Last edited by IMMentat; 2012-06-09 at 01:28 PM.
Old 2012-06-09, 01:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #56
GameCobra
Private

It certainly would sound nice if there was a way we could allow it to be color coded two ways: One is the traditional "Red = dead" style that people are use to these days, then there's the Planetside way of doing it where everythign is color coded for the empire convenience.

I think what would be nice is to give newcomers the option to start off with the traditional red = dead option, then offer them the option if they feel they can handle it the empire coded/Planetside way of color codedness.
Old 2012-06-09, 01:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #57
Envenom
Sergeant Major

I dislike this. Keep the colours faction specific at all times.
Old 2012-06-09, 01:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #58
Patek
Private

Originally Posted by Tamas View Post
Just to clarify:

MY faction controlled points will be shown as green, while the enemy faction control points will be of their respective colors (red, blue/yellow? and purple).
So If I'm NC I see all NC points in Green, while Vanu is purple and TR is red?

I like this kind of system if this is correct.
that's the way it is if you were to watch the steam on youtube again. it is how you described it.
Old 2012-06-09, 01:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #59
Resolve
Corporal

Guys this thread was started on a misconception. I didn't know that your point showed up green. I was thinking even if you were TR your point would show up red. The system is perfect now that i realize i'm wrong. lolol /thread
Old 2012-06-09, 02:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #60
RNFB
First Sergeant

Honestly... if someone is dumb enough to shoot the red guys after they join the RED team, I don't want them playing PlanetSide 2.

I don't think anyone ever had problems like this back in the classic shooter days of Red vs Blue team colors. People on the red team knew they were the red team and were to kill the blues. This is still true for TF2, and TF2 players are some of the biggest idiots out there but they have no problems with team recognition.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion