TR control point color is green?.... - Page 7 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Hey, where are the jetpacks?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-06-10, 12:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #91
QuantumMechanic
Contributor
Second Lieutenant

Re: TR control point color is green?....

Yeah the diamond vs square thing helps alot. It achieves the same idea as adding in faction symbols without actually having to add them in.
Old 2012-06-10, 12:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #92
Greeniegriz
Contributor
Second Lieutenant

Misc Info

Originally Posted by Malorn View Post
Makes sense. I also like the Diamond vs Square thing. That's a good approach.

In general I like the approach of using both color and shape to differentiate things. PS 2 does that with the empire characteristics and also we see it in parts of the UI. I hope spotting is the same way with different shaped markers for friendly vs hostile as well as different colors.
Not to derail the thread but I wish they had spotted more during the e3 streams. Was curious as to how it was going to work and how it was going to look. Another wait for Beta thing

Cheers,

GG

Sent from here using Tapatalk 2

PSU Folding Team - Join Today!
Don't follow me on Twitter
Old 2012-06-10, 12:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #93
kaffis
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by Higby View Post
That causes a lot of confusion when you're on tr fighting against nc. Attacking blue nodes and defending red ones is counterintuative to lots of gamers and caused a lot f problems in internal tests.
We don't need TR attacking blue nodes anyways, right Higby?
Old 2012-06-10, 01:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #94
DesertFox
Private

I understand that this is probably not a big deal to Vanu's or NC's since red = enemy to them anyways. But for most TR's red should = friendly. It just seem weird and confusing when you're taught that red & black = everything; and then all of the sudden you're told that red = enemy.

Especially when so many other friendly things in game are coloured red (for TR anyways). I refuse to believe that I'm one of the few who are especially gifted with the ability to tell that red means friendly in a pc game. It just doesn't seem logical to me. I'm just a random, untalented, average Joe. I'm not a ps1 vet either, so if you're thinking that might be the cause of me reacting like this.. think again.

Edit: Corrected some things.

Last edited by DesertFox; 2012-06-10 at 10:16 AM.
Old 2012-06-10, 01:06 AM   [Ignore Me] #95
QuantumMechanic
Contributor
Second Lieutenant

It's not just you. And by the way, red is traditionally a very auspicious color for the Chinese (and they will comprise a large portion of PS2's playerbase). Just sayin
Old 2012-06-10, 07:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #96
Maltalionis
Private

Another thing you could do, is have the capture points be the colors of the empire that owns it, and instead of having the empire logo above it capture point, replace it with text saying "CAPTURE" or "Defend" based on what side the player is on.
Old 2012-06-10, 07:17 AM   [Ignore Me] #97
FIREk
Captain

Originally Posted by Higby View Post
That causes a lot of confusion when you're on tr fighting against nc. Attacking blue nodes and defending red ones is counterintuative to lots of gamers and caused a lot f problems in internal tests.
It's kind of funny how some of the more self-entitled PS1 vets would get all disappointed/pissed that PS2 caters to the needs of the average dumbass FPS player, while at the same claiming they would get confused by the new system. Obviously learning curves shouldn't apply to the all-knowing PS1 master race.

To me SOE are doing the same kind of badassery Hi-Rez did with Tribes: Ascend. You're making the game more accessible to a wider audience without sacrificing what made the original game great. I'm sure there are a lot of buttmad Tribes 2 vets who would prefer glitchy skiing, but anyone with a fully functional brain embraced skiing as an actual game system/mechanic.

Please let us know if you can push the idea forward for the UI option, though. You and Clegg haven't noticeably acknowledged it in your replies, and this kind of "Red friendly TR markers [YES/NO]" option (NO by default) would be pretty nice in terms of consistency.

Last edited by FIREk; 2012-06-10 at 08:30 AM.
Old 2012-06-10, 10:06 AM   [Ignore Me] #98
Pride
Private

I honestly can't see the big kerfuffle about all this. In the typical FPS red equals bad. Warning signs are red, dangerous animals often have red markings, blood is red. It's built into our psyche that red is bad and your typical video game embraces this into it's design. If it's red make it dead ~. It's easy to see why some testers found the sudden principle that red is good to be a little confusing at first, i'm sure they got the hang of it after an hour or so but that first hour can often turn away new players. "WTF I cant capture this base, fucking glitchy shit i'm out" etc.

By changing the color of your own bases to green it stays within the standard, they understand green is universally the color of good, they know what to defend and from what was said green is your home color for all factions. Lets say I've been playing TR for a few weeks, I find out some old guildmates/friends/workmates are also playing PS2 but on the Vanu,I make a Vanu character on their server, my bases are still green, I still understand that these are mine and i'm not sat trying to capture vanu bases out of habit for destroying all that is purple.

Ideally they can cater to both markets, implement a toggle that changes home base color to faction color and vice versa and if what Higby says about customize able UI is true then i'm sure if SOE don't implement this then those that would like the option can simply download a UI modification that does just that.
Old 2012-06-10, 11:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #99
FrivolousSam
Private

Having one "friendly" color only makes sense if you're regularly switching team colors every 20 minutes like in Quake or some such.

In a game like Planetside 2, you basically only ever play one character, alts are useless due to the way they've said that cert is going to work, being unlimited - if you want to cert towards something, it'll take just as long to do with a new character as it will with your current one.

Due to the fact that there will for most people never be color inconsistency, having separate colors for your side is unnecessary and annoying. Playing the original game I would come around a corner and see yellow and think "NC Scum" and fire on reflex, turns out it was one of my sqadmates and the yellow was the name above his head.

However, the bottom line is that there are a lot of different views on this subject. The best workaround is to make it an OPTION. Just a little menu tickbox "override team indicator colors", allowing people to use the green names and points if they want, or leave them as universal ones.

Last edited by FrivolousSam; 2012-06-10 at 11:20 AM.
Old 2012-06-10, 12:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #100
erunion
Private

Why not make default the standard red=bad green=good, but include an option to use empire colors?

Solved.
Old 2012-06-10, 08:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #101
CutterJohn
Colonel

Originally Posted by Landtank View Post
What? I don't even think that warrants a good response. Universally green=good and red=enemy, it has absolutely nothing to do with the TR.
Pretty much this.

Also, this whole topic is just silly. May as well argue that, omg, the names over friendly heads in PS1 was green! Dumbing the game down!

Honestly the interminable balance rants will be preferable to this relentless nitpicking of inconsequential minutia.
Old 2012-06-10, 08:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #102
Resolve
Corporal

Yeah dude, this thread was started on a misconception. You can go ahead and delete/lock
Old 2012-06-10, 08:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #103
CutterJohn
Colonel

Originally Posted by Resolve View Post
Yeah dude, this thread was started on a misconception. You can go ahead and delete/lock
I'm not a big believer in locking threads unless they are ridiculously inflammatory. This is a forum for people to speak their mind, whether or not anyone wants to hear it.

I'm probably not the best mod.
Old 2012-06-10, 09:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #104
Khrakhan
Corporal

Just assign them each a number. VS will of course be 1, TR with a distant 2, and NC can be 9. :P
Old 2012-06-10, 10:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #105
Luieburger
Sergeant

The control point icon should be the color of whatever faction controls that point. Green should be removed. As one friend put it, the game needs to "shove the faction and its color down the players' throat". Pay attention to what color you are fighting for. It's not that hard. Green just confuses people. It confused me for a long time.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion