Clans invited to play beta early! [Unconstructive whining will be deleted] - Page 22 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: I am a gangster.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-06-13, 07:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #316
Deflagrate
Private

Re: Clans invited to play beta early! [Unconstructive whining will be deleted]

I really like SOE doing this much of an effort to shape the game properly. This kind of keeping in touch with a community is what makes a game work well. I am from an MMORPG background, I played WoW fairly seriously a few years back and despite Planetside 1 being an FPS, and despite myself having always been terrible at FPS games, I enjoyed it considerably due to its MMO nature.

Getting FPS mechanics down is SOEs priority because it is obviously the core of the game, any game that is very popular today will/must become an E-sport, WoW became one, Starcraft, most major FPS games. It is inevitable with Planetside and it is how games in this industry survive, because you can bet that MMOFPS is going to get a lot more attention (looking at games like CoD and Battefield and the depth of their XBL, stats, ranks, progression style, the only thing preventing them from being an "MMO" is the lack of persistence). I'll bet that the next console generation will begin to see MMOFPS iterations of COD/Battlefield.

Beta will be such an exciting experience and I'm sure SOE will be busy making it the game that best appeals to all types of players, from people who love strategy, to pilots, to people who love the leader boards.
Old 2012-06-13, 07:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #317
SKYeXile
Major General

Originally Posted by Karmic Revenge View Post
I think that you need to accept that in order for the game to be a success it's not just PS1 vets who need to be involved from the get-go. If PS1 had been a massive success we would have seen a lot more development on it throughout the years.

The game's community needs to expand, and getting people who are unfamiliar with that open world feel in at an early time is nothing but a good thing for getting them exposed to it, hyped about it, and recommending it.
Umm dude, I just said they needs to also invite mmo pvp vets, you practically just expanded on what I just said.

SKYeXile TRF - GM
FUTURE CREW - HIGH COUNCIL
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-06-13, 07:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #318
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Originally Posted by Khrusky View Post
Malorn, you better be ready to eat a damn big piece of humble pie if you and all the people you listed get invited.
Yeah I could have a foot-in-mouth moment coming if I'm lucky, but I'll happily eat that pie knowing there's great and dedicated contributors here getting their voices heard and that PS2 devs are getting good counsel.

Last edited by Malorn; 2012-06-13 at 07:04 PM.
Old 2012-06-13, 07:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #319
Karmic Revenge
Corporal

Originally Posted by SKYeXile View Post
Umm dude, I just said they needs to also invite mmo pvp vets, you practically just expanded on what I just said.
You said open world. Like those people who play CoD and TF2 (and for that mattle WoW arenas, etc., which I am not overly concerned about because shooters are not mmorpgs) and whatnot are the ones that don't need to be in.

I'm saying people from every background need to be given a shot at getting in and playing and giving feedback.

We're not saying the same thing.

Last edited by Karmic Revenge; 2012-06-13 at 07:05 PM.
Old 2012-06-13, 07:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #320
captainkapautz
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by SKYeXile View Post
they really need open world mmo pvp vets
What?

Like RvR in DAoC/WAR?
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-06-13, 07:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #321
Higby
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Creative Director

Originally Posted by Malorn View Post
Yeah I could have a foot-in-mouth moment coming if I'm lucky, but I'll happily eat that pie knowing there's great and dedicated contributors here getting their voices heard and that PS2 devs are getting good counsel.
Sorry you guys didn't hear directly from us about what was happening with this, you should have. A lot of balls in the air around here lately, we're doing our best to stay as communicative as possible without giving anyone any expectations we can't deliver on. It's a tough balance and we'll get better.
Old 2012-06-13, 07:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #322
Xaine
Major

Everyone who is a First Lieutenant or above gets into this sexy first group please?

Heuheuheu, I'm joking.

(I'm not.)
Old 2012-06-13, 07:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #323
Grognard
Contributor
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Malorn View Post
The very fact that Higby addressed you directly, means that you should, at least, be smelling pastry. Since, it is veritable proof that you have, in fact, been heard.

Kein Plan überlebt die erste Feindberührung. Res ad triarios venit... μολὼν λαβέ!
Old 2012-06-13, 07:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #324
Xaine
Major

Originally Posted by Higby View Post
Sorry you guys didn't hear directly from us about what was happening with this, you should have. A lot of balls in the air around here lately, we're doing our best to stay as communicative as possible without giving anyone any expectations we can't deliver on. It's a tough balance and we'll get better.
I think we all understand you have a hell of a lot on your plate at the moment.

Most of the people here understand that you're working your ass off and sometimes these things slip through the net.

This isn't even a big deal, its being blown up far more than it needs to be.

Thanks for the continued communication anyway Sir.
Old 2012-06-13, 07:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #325
jepaul
First Sergeant

Impressive that a game even gets a response at from that level at this level.

Eager
Old 2012-06-13, 07:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #326
Khrusky
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Deflagrate View Post
I really like SOE doing this much of an effort to shape the game properly. This kind of keeping in touch with a community is what makes a game work well. I am from an MMORPG background, I played WoW fairly seriously a few years back and despite Planetside 1 being an FPS, and despite myself having always been terrible at FPS games, I enjoyed it considerably due to its MMO nature.

Getting FPS mechanics down is SOEs priority because it is obviously the core of the game, any game that is very popular today will/must become an E-sport, WoW became one, Starcraft, most major FPS games. It is inevitable with Planetside and it is how games in this industry survive, because you can bet that MMOFPS is going to get a lot more attention (looking at games like CoD and Battefield and the depth of their XBL, stats, ranks, progression style, the only thing preventing them from being an "MMO" is the lack of persistence). I'll bet that the next console generation will begin to see MMOFPS iterations of COD/Battlefield.

Beta will be such an exciting experience and I'm sure SOE will be busy making it the game that best appeals to all types of players, from people who love strategy, to pilots, to people who love the leader boards.
Actually that was one of the great things about PlanetSide 1 as it was released well before these kinds of things like unlocks became really popular, and you could already see them working well in PlanetSide as the cert system. The combination of the customisation system seen in those other games, as well as the deeper (and new) playstyle customisations introduced by PlanetSide 2 should hopefully make this game engaging for the long haul.

The Developers have been really good to us generally and we all appreciate how much they've come on, and how amusing they can be at times. This is kind of why it feels a little off that we weren't told of this in advance, but as you saw, they were quick to respond once the issue blew up, which is more than some companies do.

Drake Flight is a new EU TR Air Assault Outfit. PM me if you're interested in signing up.
Old 2012-06-13, 07:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #327
Khrusky
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Higby View Post
I really appreciate you taking the time to say that.
Bravo.

Drake Flight is a new EU TR Air Assault Outfit. PM me if you're interested in signing up.
Old 2012-06-13, 07:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #328
Reborn
Private

Not surprising. Always good to have clan involvement in a game especially to give good feedback. Many player will play beta but not give constructive feedback. (besides what info soe collects)
Old 2012-06-13, 07:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #329
Karmic Revenge
Corporal

Cross Post
Old 2012-06-13, 07:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #330
DerFurst
Corporal

Misc Info

Originally Posted by Xyntech View Post
I'll certainly do my part to test the game, but I know there are people more qualified to test the game than me. I'm confident I'll get in when it's appropriate to get in.
Those people "more qualified" to test the game don't make you any less qualified at all. If SOE wanted only the most qualified people testing, they would bring in a spec ops team of elite planetside players and leave everyone else out completely. They need opinions from everyone, not just a select few. Taking information from one biased control group is terrible science and the making of a very counterproductive beta.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion