Non-orchestrated Placeholder Planetside Music leaked (Spoiler) - Page 14 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: I really don't get what is a good bad quote?.....
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-06-14, 06:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #196
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

Re: Planetside Music leaked (Spoiler)

Originally Posted by PsychoXR-20 View Post
Just out of curiosity, did you play PS1, or have you listened to any of PS1's music? If so did you like that style, and do you think this style is better?
I think Aurmanite actually plays guitar and can convert GuitarPro tabs into real sounding guitar in his mind. It took me quite a while to realise how the REAL NC themes actually sound.

I'd love to hear from Duke on this one.

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
Shields.. these are a decent compromise between the console jockeys that want recharging health, and the glorious pc gaming master race that generally doesn't.
Old 2012-06-14, 06:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #197
Zulthus
Colonel

Wow, I'm so glad they kept the majority of PS1 music. The updated versions sound absolutely amazing. I love the main themes of each empire!

Halfway through the TR main theme, it kind of reminded me of Narnia's music.
Old 2012-06-14, 06:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #198
Neurotoxin
First Lieutenant

This is a huge upgrade from PS1's soundtrack.

VS is freakin' awesome. Sounds like stuff by Daft Punk and Yoko Kanno. If I wasn't VS, I'd be jealous.

NC sounds like it got a huge heaping dose of kickass from grunge and metal of the 80s and the 90s.

TR sounds like modern cinematic movie trailers and intro scenes, plus some dramatic danger music.

All in all, I really enjoy the music for PS2. Just one more thing to be excited about.
Old 2012-06-14, 06:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #199
CidHighwind
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by Neurotoxin View Post
This is a huge upgrade from PS1's soundtrack.

VS is freakin' awesome. Sounds like stuff by Daft Punk and Yoko Kanno. If I wasn't VS, I'd be jealous.

NC sounds like it got a huge heaping dose of kickass from grunge and metal of the 80s and the 90s.

TR sounds like modern cinematic movie trailers and intro scenes, plus some dramatic danger music.

All in all, I really enjoy the music for PS2. Just one more thing to be excited about.
This - I LOVE the NC travel music. I cant wait to hear it in all it's glory. I sensed a lot of "terran theme SC2" influence in the NC sound, which I totally get - Space Marines gone badass has always been the NC theme in my mind.
Old 2012-06-14, 07:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #200
Aurmanite
Captain

Originally Posted by PsychoXR-20 View Post
Just out of curiosity, did you play PS1, or have you listened to any of PS1's music? If so did you like that style, and do you think this style is better?
I loved the original Planetside music. In fact, I'm sorely missing the TR_SOI_standard. That intro with the woman singing was one of the little things I found so enjoyable about being TR.

The music in PS1 was great, but the sound quality is not as good as what can be produced today. The Don rocked our worlds with what was probably a fairly limited budget.

At the risk of looking like a jackass, when I first heard the leaked stuff I was somewhat underwhelmed. Higby said they had a full on 666 piece orchestra doing it up, it did not sound like that at all. Then he confirmed that it was done with the synthesizer which made a whole load of sense.

Guitar is one of my favorite instruments. From classical to classic rock, David Russell to Stevie Ray Vaughn etc.
Old 2012-06-14, 07:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #201
Immigrant
First Lieutenant

Great stuff, music for all the factions is great but I must admit that the NC stuff is the most to my liking. I honestly don't know why so many bad comments about it...
This is the last VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-06-14, 07:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #202
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Do we know if this is all of the music or just a sampling?

12 minutes total seems a bit short. I would expect more along the lines of 20-30 minutes for each empire.
Old 2012-06-14, 07:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #203
sylphaen
Lieutenant Colonel

holy s***, TR ! That main theme...

I love hearing again all that old music. It's awesome. Can't wait to hear it again with more lush. It sounded great already even if did not feel "full".

I still love the VS music too. It feels a lot more present now than in PS1 with strong rolling rythms. I really LOVE the deployment track. In fact, I also love VS combat 4...

Where are our electric violins and drums though ? There was a "tribal" feeling to it in PS1 that seems lost but still around with inca flute-like sounds (?!). (music is still great though)

Oh Lord ! Oh Lord ! Vanu, have mercy for our souls !

Concerning the NC stuff, they still the best track with that awesome main theme but the low-res synth stuff does not sound too great. Can't hear much bass yet and a lot of richness is lost vs. PS1 at the moment.

I really look forward to the end result.

Instrumental version of the NC theme like in PS1 too please ! Guitars are cool but they only get you so far vs. orchestras.

Last edited by sylphaen; 2012-06-14 at 07:29 PM.
Old 2012-06-14, 07:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #204
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Malorn View Post
Do we know if this is all of the music or just a sampling?

12 minutes total seems a bit short. I would expect more along the lines of 20-30 minutes for each empire.
LP stands for "LOOP" I think.

Shields.. these are a decent compromise between the console jockeys that want recharging health, and the glorious pc gaming master race that generally doesn't.
Old 2012-06-14, 07:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #205
sylphaen
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by Aurmanite View Post
I loved the original Planetside music. In fact, I'm sorely missing the TR_SOI_standard. That intro with the woman singing was one of the little things I found so enjoyable about being TR.

The music in PS1 was great, but the sound quality is not as good as what can be produced today. The Don rocked our worlds with what was probably a fairly limited budget.
I definitely hope they will take the opportunity to remaster the original PS1 tracks. I would buy them.

The new versions from Don were nice.
Old 2012-06-14, 07:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #206
JHendy
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by NewSith View Post
LP stands for "LOOP" I think.
Long Playing
Old 2012-06-14, 07:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #207
Bickdouglas
Private

Some of them sounded pretty good.
Old 2012-06-14, 07:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #208
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by JHendy View Post
Long Playing
Oh well, that makes sense considering the tunes have actual outro.

Old 2012-06-14, 07:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #209
Sifer2
Major

Just listened to them all. And I am kind of sad it seems like the only real good tracks are the main themes which correct me if i'm wrong seem to just be remix's of the original games songs. At least I definitely recognized NC's main theme. It manages to sound good despite the really bad guitar style which is doing nothing for me. Starcraft 2 Terran is definitely what NC sound like. Only it is trying too hard, and should be softer/slower.

I think my favorite is actually TR's. I'm kind of a sucker for epic sounding classical music tracks anyway I guess. It definitely sounds awesome. But that is actually kind of a problem for stuff like simple travel themes. You don't want even mundane stuff to sound like the Armies of Middle Earth are about to clash in front of Mount Doom. Still this music plus the much cooler looking HA, and MAX looks are making me actually want to play TR.

As for the VS music everyone is praising. I don't even know what to think about it. It's kind of cool but its also kind of like rave party music instead of something I expect to hear in war game. Usually when you hear that music in an FPS its because your being attacked by robots or aliens. So in that sense it would make more sense for the TR/NC to hear this when the VS attack them lol. In fact that might actually help add some variety to the music you hear. To hear enemy themes when they are attacking, and doing well.
Old 2012-06-14, 07:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #210
Vancha
Colonel

Originally Posted by Sifer2 View Post
Just listened to them all. And I am kind of sad it seems like the only real good tracks are the main themes which correct me if i'm wrong seem to just be remix's of the original games songs. At least I definitely recognized NC's main theme. It manages to sound good despite the really bad guitar style which is doing nothing for me. Starcraft 2 Terran is definitely what NC sound like. Only it is trying too hard, and should be softer/slower.

I think my favorite is actually TR's. I'm kind of a sucker for epic sounding classical music tracks anyway I guess. It definitely sounds awesome. But that is actually kind of a problem for stuff like simple travel themes. You don't want even mundane stuff to sound like the Armies of Middle Earth are about to clash in front of Mount Doom. Still this music plus the much cooler looking HA, and MAX looks are making me actually want to play TR.

As for the VS music everyone is praising. I don't even know what to think about it. It's kind of cool but its also kind of like rave party music instead of something I expect to hear in war game. Usually when you hear that music in an FPS its because your being attacked by robots or aliens. So in that sense it would make more sense for the TR/NC to hear this when the VS attack them lol. In fact that might actually help add some variety to the music you hear. To hear enemy themes when they are attacking, and doing well.
Did you read the bit where the TR and NC tracks are going to be redone with real instruments?
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion