Will Beta TOS allow making videos? - Page 5 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: NO CAPS PLEASE!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-06-20, 01:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #61
CTheRain
Corporal

Re: News: There will be no videos on beta...

Can I make videos then not release them until the NDA drops?
Old 2012-06-20, 01:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #62
Lorgarn
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by Nephilimuk View Post
i don't understand the suprise or the outrage to SOE this is common practice and makes perfect comercial sense.... wtf did you expect?
Even though how unlikely it sometimes feel, there are people out there that hasn't been in a NDA-agreement or let alone part of any kind of closed or internal testing phase be it Alpha or Beta. You'd have to remember that you once too was new to this whole NDA-thingy that people keeps talking about.

I myself personally does not remember the first time I was introduced to it. All I know is that I wasn't born with the knowledge.

As far as PS2 Beta and NDA goes, some of you talk of NDA as it's 100% dead certain and bound to happen. However likely, it's not a 100% dead certainty. Some developers do in fact feel confident enough with their game or product to let people share their experiences. I could see SOE going either way quite honestly and I wouldn't be surprised which either router they decide to take. However, being as this game is pretty deep, it has a cash-shop and some advanced or new features, I bet we'd be under an NDA for the first few phases of testing.

Personally I usually take whatever footage I want but I refrain from releasing it publicly untill I'm dead certain that the NDA on the Beta content has been lifted. Keep in mind though that sometimes they might lift the NDA, but only from that day forward. In that particular case any content or footage taken pre-lift can still be unavailable for use publicly.
Old 2012-06-20, 01:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #63
Raymac
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by fishirboy View Post
I know what it is about but isn't more better? having more people= more eyes to fine bugs as you say. There is not much chance to show what open testing is better. So will have to live with it but yes i know what closed beta is for. I am sorry if I upset you.
Then you should understand why a company wouldn't want to show something that is half baked. It's like an artist not wanting to show an unfinished painting. Plus, if you really really want to get to know what's going on in beta, then just sign up for it.

Old 2012-06-20, 01:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #64
Nephilimuk
Master Sergeant

I know what it is about but isn't more better? having more people= more eyes to fine bugs as you say. There is not much chance to show what open testing is better. So will have to live with it but yes i know what closed beta is for. I am sorry if I upset you
You like the game thumbs up, but buggy half baked software is a big turn off you would lose more customers than you would gain. UAT is vital to ensure the game is tuned for release and delivers a solid rewarding experience of the right quality.

Beta testing is UAT testing and critical to any release of software (testing cycle). Not sure what this has to do with the original post you placed though.
Old 2012-06-20, 01:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #65
Rago
Contributor
First Lieutenant

Ill agree with the Most NDA will be removed someday, then it will be okay to make Shots Vids ect. Is´t the Same procedure as Everytime.
Old 2012-06-20, 01:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #66
indirect
Staff Sergeant

This isn't news and the answer is in this thread 20 times, don't understand why this is in PS2D.
Old 2012-06-20, 01:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #67
Crator
Major General

Oh boy, I can feel the NDA violations already creeping out. I'd imagine the amount of beta testers is going to be pretty big. But since they are phasing people into beta it might just be the first few phases of folks they invite are under NDA then the last phases the NDA is released. The more people you try to put under a NDA the more of a chance it will be broken.
Old 2012-06-20, 01:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #68
zomg
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Nephilimuk View Post
i don't understand the suprise or the outrage to SOE this is common practice and makes perfect comercial sense.... wtf did you expect?
In every closed alpha or beta I've been in, there's always been an "outrage" about not allowing videos or discussion outside the closed circle
Old 2012-06-20, 02:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #69
TheDrone
Sergeant

Re: There will be no videos on beta...

So sad that it's quite hard to have a selection process for beta testers when dealing with an mmo.

I guess they need too many people so they can't weed out all the people who... are unlikely to "get it".
Old 2012-06-20, 02:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #70
ChargerCarl
Corporal

good luck enforcing this...
Old 2012-06-20, 02:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #71
zomg
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by ChargerCarl View Post
They could in theory embed a watermark in each beta client's output which would be next to invisible to players (think QR code but only very, very minor color variation) but could be identified from a video and then read (again thinking QR codes, even if the video was a bit poor quality, QR code has protection against degradation).

Of course this is just an idea about how they could enforce this and then find who it was, but I highly doubt anything of this magnitude would benefit them in any way and the work involved in creating something like this is not exactly small detail either.
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-06-20, 02:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #72
RadarX
PlanetSide 2
Community Manager

Originally Posted by ChargerCarl View Post
You'd be surprised what we can do. Of course I fully understand stuff is going to leak. I also know I got hundreds of accounts kicked out of DCUO's Beta.

During our closed Beta we simply ask folks to discuss the content with what we provide them. There will be ample time to show everything when we hit Open Beta. The team has been very transparent and you guys have seen quite a bit more than other companies will show.
Old 2012-06-20, 02:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #73
Pillar of Armor
Sergeant

Originally Posted by RadarX View Post
You'd be surprised what we can do. Of course I fully understand stuff is going to leak. I also know I got hundreds of accounts kicked out of DCUO's Beta.

During our closed Beta we simply ask folks to discuss the content with what we provide them. There will be ample time to show everything when we hit Open Beta. The team has been very transparent and you guys have seen quite a bit more than other companies will show.
I'm seriously impressed at how much you guys are showing off. It's great to see a team and company that is willing to show off alpha footage for the sake of community discussion and to make a better game. With all of the footage you allowed TB to record at E3, people should be more than satisfied until the open beta.
Old 2012-06-20, 02:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #74
Xyntech
Brigadier General

Re: Will Beta TOS allow making videos?

I wonder if players will be able to record footage and then send it in to the devs for approval. Could be too much work for the busy dev team to screen a bunch of footage though. Still, it would be nice.
Old 2012-06-20, 02:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #75
amblingalong
Private

Originally Posted by Pillar of Armor View Post
I'm seriously impressed at how much you guys are showing off. It's great to see a team and company that is willing to show off alpha footage for the sake of community discussion and to make a better game. With all of the footage you allowed TB to record at E3, people should be more than satisfied until the open beta.
/cosign

Speaking of which, any idea when we get to see day 2? I've been looking forward to it for what feels like forever.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion