Which would you prefer: VAC or PB? - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: The best thing since sliced bread
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

View Poll Results: Which would you prefer for PS2: VAC or PB?
VAC 112 84.85%
Punkbuster 20 15.15%
Voters: 132. You may not vote on this poll

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-06-22, 02:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Deezy
Corporal

Which would you prefer: VAC or PB?

Not sure if there's already been a poll thread on this issue or not. If there has been, I'll gladly redact this poll and head towards that thread.

I know there will be a supplemental 24/7 admin monitoring system (speculated), as well as some other unknown and undisclosed systems in the back end.

However, I'm looking to get a general consensus from players on this forum as to which you'd rather see implemented in the forefront for PS2?

*edit: Should clarify beforehand that this poll is for theoretical purposes only. Two assumptions are made here:
1) We accept the fact that this is all speculative.
2) We assume PS2 will be on Steam (For voting purposes. I'm not saying it will be. Don't get your panties in a wad.)

Last edited by Deezy; 2012-06-22 at 02:55 PM.
Old 2012-06-22, 02:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
ChipMHazard
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Re: Which would you prefer: VAC or PB?

Neither. I've had problems with both of them even though PB is by far the worst.
They won't be using VAC unless they also end up releasing PS2 through Steam, which they might not want to do.
I don't want them to use PB simple because of all the technical issues a lot of people end up having with it.

*Disclaimer: When participating in a discussion I do not do so in the capacity of a semidivine moderator. Feel free to disagree with any of my opinions.
Old 2012-06-22, 02:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Stew
Major

VAC punk buster suck !
Old 2012-06-22, 02:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Deezy
Corporal

I understand that. I'm also choosing the lesser of two evils.
Old 2012-06-22, 02:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Knotz
Sergeant

Whatever stops the wankers. I care not about its name.

Also, I hope it is released through Steam.
This is the last VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-06-22, 02:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

I'd prefer people not assume there is only one solution. Any effective anti-cheat strategy involves multiple solutions and processes. And not revealing the details of that strategy is key to its success. They aren't going to tell us all the details. They shouldn't. It is not in our best interest for them to do so. Some things you just have to take on faith.
Old 2012-06-22, 02:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
CuddlyChud
Staff Sergeant

I don't get what the point of this is. There are very few games that actually use VAC (since it requires that your game be tied to Steam). Planetside 2 most definitely won't be one of these, so VAC is immediately discounted. What other anti cheating software is there then besides PB?
Old 2012-06-22, 02:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Geist
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by ChipMHazard View Post
Neither. I've had problems with both of them even though PB is by far the worst.
They won't be using VAC unless they also end up releasing PS2 through Steam, which they might not want to do.
I don't want them to use PB simple because of all the technical issues a lot of people end up having with it.
Why not? They've released nearly every other game on Steam(Everquest 2, DC Universe, etc...), I see a trend.

Punkbuster is the reason I couldn't play 2142. I hope they all die in a fire.
"There is a theory which states that if ever anybody discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened."

-Douglas Adams
Old 2012-06-22, 02:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
ChipMHazard
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Originally Posted by CuddlyChud View Post
I don't get what the point of this is. There are very few games that actually use VAC (since it requires that your game be tied to Steam). Planetside 2 most definitely won't be one of these, so VAC is immediately discounted. What other anti cheating software is there then besides PB?
Their own, from what I understand. I have no idea what that might be.

Originally Posted by Geist View Post
Why not? They've released nearly every other game on Steam(Everquest 2, DC Universe, etc...), I see a trend.

Hehe true, however they seem reluctant, if my memory serves me correctly. Might be that they don't want to share the revenue this time around.
I won't discount it coming to Steam.

*Disclaimer: When participating in a discussion I do not do so in the capacity of a semidivine moderator. Feel free to disagree with any of my opinions.

Last edited by ChipMHazard; 2012-06-22 at 02:48 PM.
Old 2012-06-22, 02:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
BigBossMonkey
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by Malorn View Post
I'd prefer people not assume there is only one solution. Any effective anti-cheat strategy involves multiple solutions and processes. And not revealing the details of that strategy is key to its success. They aren't going to tell us all the details. They shouldn't. It is not in our best interest for them to do so. Some things you just have to take on faith.
They've said they have lots of different things they're using for anti-cheat, it's not JUST PB.

So yeah, I agree. Besides, SOE will never come out and say what exactly they're using. All we know is it involves PB and 24/7 server admins.
Old 2012-06-22, 02:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
CuddlyChud
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Geist View Post

I think in order to use VAC you need to be a steamworks game (Can't run the game without going through steam). Other SOE games use Steam as a distributor, but go through their own SOE Launcher and SOE accounts. You don't need steam to play if you get it somewhere else.
Old 2012-06-22, 02:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Deezy
Corporal

Originally Posted by Malorn View Post
This wasn't meant as a litmus test for the end all solution, or even a possible solution, to an anti-hack system. Simply to gather a consensus on what most people here would prefer out of two widely known anti cheating systems. Not saying PS2 will be on steam or not, all of this is theorizing that it might be.
Old 2012-06-22, 02:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Coreldan
Colonel

I don't really care. I've played game that used either and also few games that actually used both at the same time. In all games there were cheaters, etc..

Well configured (with streaming ban lists etc) PB was pretty fancy at least back in the day, but I believe VAC overall causes a bit less trouble for people usually (not sure if its a sign of being well made or that its less effective too/more lax than PB), even if I never really had any problems with PB.

Both work for the purpose of keeping cheaters on toes and pretty much keeping any worthwhile cheats behind a subscription, which already lowers the amount of cheaters nicely. Free cheats usually dont last very long.

Core - Lieutenant | HIVE | Auraxis
Visit us at http://www.wasp-inc.org and YouTube
Old 2012-06-22, 02:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
ChipMHazard
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Originally Posted by Deezy View Post
This wasn't meant as a litmus test for the end all solution, or even a possible solution, to an anti-hack system. Simply to gather a consensus on what most people here would prefer out of two widely known anti cheating systems. Not saying PS2 will be on steam or not, all of this is theorizing that it might be.
In that case, VAC it is then.

Old 2012-06-22, 03:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
indirect
Staff Sergeant

Would prefer VAC, but it's not going to happen.
Will not play if PB is in game.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion