PSU: online 36/18/456 wait that's not right
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > The Lounge

Old 2003-08-14, 07:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Mr1337Duck
Lieutenant Colonel

Tribes 2 thread:

I'm getting it for 9 bucks used, will it work fine, so I can just make a new account?

Does it lag like hell like PS does?
Old 2003-08-14, 07:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Thrik
First Sergeant

No.
Old 2003-08-14, 08:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Mr1337Duck
Lieutenant Colonel

Was that to the first question or second one?
Old 2003-08-14, 09:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
eMaGyN
Major

Um.. if you buy it used, be sure to get the sellers username and password.
If you dont, you'll just be able to get to the login screen.

and it doesn't lag that much... i get some lag, but im also a 56ker.

lol, fear me. Rawr!

eMa
Old 2003-08-14, 09:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Sputty
Banned

T2 will run very well on any computer that can just barely run PS.
eMa, BTW, get on IRC if you can.
Old 2003-08-14, 10:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Mr1337Duck
Lieutenant Colonel

I saw some videos, I'll be getting it tomorrow morning. About how many people play it?
Old 2003-08-15, 02:17 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Pendragon
Private

The CD key for T2 lets you create a login - if the owner did that already, you will need his account.

You can buy it new at the store for 9.99 in a lot of places.

Tribes is an amazing game - it is a VERY deep game, much deeper than it first even appears (and there is a lot to it).

Dont be suprised if when you first play, you get totally and completely owned. Focus on getting good at movement and jet usage and getting good with the weapons.

The coolest things about Tribes (and my advice) are:

1. Weapon projectiles inherit your movement inertia. If you are falling down and shoot a projectile, the projectile will have a downward vector applied to its forward vector. Most FPS games treat your projectiles like they are always fired from a stationary platform. You will see what I mean when you play. It takes some getting used to, but once you appreciate it, you will see how sucky most FPS games really are. (lazy designers).

2. The jump jets and skiing have a zen all their own. T2 has a lot of mods, so you should always try and play the same game type. I recomend classic as it has most of the feel from T1 which was the best. This lets you "ski" by making you slide across terrain when you hit jump. Find bowls and "half pipes" in the terrain (so to speak) and use the skiing and the jets to move very quickly and efficiently - even in the otherwise slow heavy armor. This is the single greatest thing of Tribes - the movement is pure poetry and grace - observe some of the better players and watch how they use their jets. Most new players way over use their jets when really, small bursts and conserved momentum will serve you the best.

3. USE FAVORITES! Learn the built in favorites and how to use them and modify them. This will serve you well.

4. DEVELOP FLAG AWARENESS!
Tribes is a very (VERY) fast pacec game and you can literally blink and your flag is gone. Learn the strategies and tactics of the flag.

5. Make your self useful.
If you are having trouble competing with the uber players, spend some time deploying turrets and inventory stations and repairing the base. This will give you a feel for the game while you catch on.

6. Learn the maps.

7. Dont give up. Do not expect to be very competitive for several weeks. I played hardcore competition for years and if I am away for more than a week or two, I quickly lose my edge.

8. There may be some cheaters, but most or all of the time if you see an amazing shot (like a double mid air disk hit) its just that you are playing with people that good - and there are lots of them.

9. Play duelmod. This will help you with your gun skills. I used to make my team play duel a lot and it improved our whole game.

10. Compete. If you have time, join an actual tribe - you will have mentors, a message board and will be assigned a role to play in competition. Tribes is fun in casual play, but it truly trancends mere video game status when 2 teams are in fierce competition. Oh how I used to live for the matches...
Old 2003-08-15, 06:10 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Kaltagesta
Banned

^^^^^^^

what he said.

oh, and remember my lessons [www.ego-chimp.tk] are an invaluable treasure trove of knowledge.

sputty and ema, what irc channel do you meet on, and do you use any mods?
Old 2003-08-15, 09:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
eMaGyN
Major

#bohica on the psu irc.

Normally you can find me posting something on the bohica forums about going to play T2 as well.

I always play classic.

eMa
Old 2003-08-15, 11:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Revenant
First Sergeant

I might get it, depending on the price. (Gotta save for HL-2 )

Also depening on how quick the "l337 kiddies" make those dumb mods for it, like T1.

I say this cause I have a buddy that use to play T1 alot, but stopped, cause all the servers he could find were those that were mods. And, needless to say those "l337 kiddies" don't know anything about balencing weapons. (There's a surprise )
Like if it takes a team of impartial DEVS to balence PS, which they're still doing, I don't see how some kid could.

.... Well that's just my rant

Guess i'll have to wait to see.
Old 2003-08-15, 01:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
TekDragon
Contributor

Elite Tribes player have molded their combat-style into an artform. The amount of skill, coordination, and technique required to compete with these elite players is unbelievable and takes months (if not years) of practise.

Heres some basic skills you need to work on:

1. Jet-Packing
Movement = Combat. This equation is what Tribes is all about. If you dont move, your dead. Period. Learn how to circle strafe. Learn how to jinx right and left. Then, learn how to do all of this effectively while in the air: jet-packing. Learn how to conserve energy to stay in the air for long periods of time. When coming down for a landing learn how to angle your approach so you can avoid getting nailed by a disk launcher and ski (described later) back into the air. You have full range of motion while in the air, use it. Use tactics to position yourself so that when your enemy hits the ground your in position to hit him, and when you hit the ground your in a 'safe' postion that will allow you to get back into the air quickly.

2. Disk Launcher
Learn it, use it, love it. The disc launcher is the most useful weapon. Coincidentally it also is one of the hardest to master. As described above, movement = combat. However, everyone HAS to hit the ground eventually. When the enemy does head towards the ground you want to fire a disk so that it intercepts the enemy on the ground the moment they hit. Combat among the most elite members of Tribes boils down to accuracy of disk launcher vs tactics of hitting the ground in safe spots.

3. Ski-ing
This was reduced from Tribes 1, but its still possible. Using the jump key and short bursts of jet pack you can "ski" down a hill at high velocity, then hit a upward slope, jump while jetpacking, and launch yourself into the air at a high velocity. Perfect for long distance traveling and key to maintaining aerial superiority in long fights vs elite opponents.

These 3 tactics are the bread and butter of Tribes and EVERY player has difference levels of skill with them.

Any charachter can shoot the disk launcher. Any charachter can use the jet-pack. Any charachter can ski. Doing them effectively is another matter.

When you see 2 elite players battle.. youll know what its about. Every micro movement is pivotal. Miss a slope by a single inch and your dead. Press your jet-pack key for a split second to long and youll wind up meeting a disk face to face.

When I was at the top of my game in Tribes 2 I considered myself to be one of the top 5 players, sometimes in the top 3. If your wondering how YOU compare to other players, find a dueling server. All the top Tribes players stop by now and then. Spend a few days in there. If you can win every match for a few days straight.. your in the top 10. After that, ask around for the top players. Challenge them to a duel. See how you do.

Good luck!
Old 2003-08-15, 01:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Lise
Second Lieutenant

Siege is the One True Religion, The Pond its temple. That is all.

Well, not quite. I have to admit that the main reason I like PS so much is that it is essentially the world's largest Siege server. That alone makes it teh winnar in my book.
Old 2003-08-15, 06:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Pendragon
Private

At my peak (T1), I was practicing with my team for 2+ hours per night, 3 times per week. I was also playing about 3-5 hours of duel every night.

I had a top notch system and a T1 connection. I could beat 99% of the players 100% of the time. Some of the other top players from top tribes would go 40/60 or 50/50 with me if they were frequent duelers.

If you duel a guy, and he double or triple mid-air-disks you, (frequent MAs at funky angles are one sign of a master) and has several grenades follow you down to your landing spot - you have a great dueler.

The best duelers either kill you very quickly, kill you with one weapon (almost any will do for a true master) or he will play cat and mouse with you and let you spend all your ammo missing him, then he will kill you with very few shots.

You play that much, you become like Inigo Montoya - you have to play left handed to get any satisfaction

No game has the depth of nuance that Tribes has - it has simply never been equaled.
Old 2003-08-15, 07:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
TekDragon
Contributor

Yeah, every now and then id get bored with my light armor DL/GL/Elf and use a laser rifle instead.

Whew.. thats quite a change.
Old 2003-08-15, 10:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
eMaGyN
Major

I thought this thread was about Getting T2... not about how good you are at T2

Good points though guys.

eMa

P.S. 56k owns all of you! rawr!
  PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > The Lounge