Welcome to Gauss Talk, your'e on the air... - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: The key of the success
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2003-09-19, 03:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
User58
Sergeant

Welcome to Gauss Talk, your'e on the air...

I started a little thread about how I'm having trouble using the Gauss efectively.

Well, I heard some very convincing raves about it being, I'm paraphrasing here, "The shooter's weapon" In the right hands it can be like watching Da Vinci swing a sable paint-brush.

Ok, I'm struggling with this weapon so let's here from the Gauss experts. I've played PS for 3 weeks and have only played my one NC char: BR6.5/Agile/Medium Assault/Hacker/Reaver

I'm thinking about shitcanning Reaver and getting a ground cert or something.

anyhow, let's have it.

Old 2003-09-19, 03:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
gonnagetyou
First Lieutenant

My NC character carries it 80% of the time and I like the punch it has. The trick is to get used to crouching before you pull the trigger. This way the COF stays as tight as possible. If you stand and shoot the Gauss COF expands quicker than all the other assault rifles.

Also try to use one to two second bursts only.

Basically do everything you can to keep the COF tight and you'll start dropping a lot of people at range.
Old 2003-09-19, 03:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
STEALTHKILLER
First Lieutenant

dont get rid of reaver for a ground vechical. air vechicals are faster than all ground vechicals. i wolud only suggest that if u plan on getting reinforced ecxosuit.

ohhh and 2 answer your question, i dont know. i just use the swepper shotgun, puinsher, cycler, and my bolt driver.
Old 2003-09-19, 03:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
SandTrout
Contributor
The one, the only

/sigh Another one of these threads? Anyways....

Gauss is very "Efficent" gun in that you don't have to use as much ammo to get a kill. However, it it difficult to use due to a low RoF relative to the Cycler. The Cycler also has less recoil than the Gauss. These make the Gauss less effective if you can't maintain your FPS ablove about 20.

It's first four shots out of the barrel, however, are noticably more acurate than the Cycler's is. This makes it a more effective weapon fore use at range, and in the hands of someone that is good with controling it's CoF bloom, it can be devistateing. Many people that are used to a cycler come to the conclusion that the gauss sucks because it is used in such a different way than the Cycler is.
Old 2003-09-19, 03:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
ObnoxiousFrog
Brigadier General

The Gauss can own at range, and in groups can cut down infantry like a hot knife through butter. It has a shocking ability to take out snipers, as they usually dont notice all the damage theyre taking until you've popped them a few times and got behind cover.

Old 2003-09-19, 03:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
SecondRaven
Contributor
Major

Guass and how to use it

Step 1: kneel

Step 2: aim

Step 3: controled bursts

Step 4: repeate 2 and 3

Last edited by SecondRaven; 2003-09-19 at 04:00 PM.
Old 2003-09-19, 06:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
User58
Sergeant

Originally posted by STEALTHKILLER
dont get rid of reaver for a ground vechical. air vechicals are faster than all ground vechicals. i wolud only suggest that if u plan on getting reinforced ecxosuit.
Which I did. :-)
Old 2003-09-19, 07:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
scarpas
Captain

Question

Originally posted by STEALTHKILLER
and my bolt driver.
what? surely he cant use your bolt driver.

Gauss is a pretty good gun, but i love the punisher, shoot of a couple shots, launch a rocket at them, then shoot them some more.
Old 2003-09-19, 08:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
sniper4evr26
Corporal

i HATE people who think vehicles are simply used for transportation. "No i want the mosquito because it goes fast" this is the worst approach to planetside you can take. sure some people like the lighter 1 man vehicles but picking a plane over a ground vehicle just because it goes faster is absolutely retarded. vehicles do have other practical uses than just their speed. some people dont get the liberator because it doesnt have afterburners. looking at real planes today, about how many bombers have afterburners? NONE! its a bomber what the hell are you people thinking its not supposed to travel at light speed. this just proves that everyone who plays this is either 11 years old or lacking a brain, possibly a mixture of both. vehicles should be more appreciated, nothing in the game can do more damage in one clip than a vanguard can do in one shot
Old 2003-09-19, 09:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Everay
Major General

im still learning the guass, all i can say though is controlled bursts, i watch goatman, earlyer, me and him dueled, he uses guass, he killed me in under ten seconds at 50 meters
Old 2003-09-19, 09:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Vis Armata
Contributor
Sergeant Major

Using the Gauss in 3-shot bursts while remaining crouched is quite effective. It's my favorite AI weapon, even over the Jackhammer. It actually has range.

As far as using the Punisher, use a plasma/normal ammo setup - lob a plasma grenade, then switch to your bullets. The grenade launcher is nice for different situations (ex., shutting down gun turrets with a jammer grenade during hot tower drops), but you'll not get the range or the same cone of fire as the Gauss.
Old 2003-09-19, 09:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Acaila
First Lieutenant

Fire in 4 shot bursts while crouched, lead your target. You can kill at range quickly and easily. Use the sweeper up close. If you want to be an infantry killing machine, lose hacking and pick up HA. The gauss/JH rexo combo is extremely effective.
Old 2003-09-20, 12:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
ThundaHawkPS
Private

I owe a ton of kills to the gauss, IMO the best Assault rifle available (better than the cycler even, in almost all situations). Big weakness of the gauss is the small clip so you should get into the habit of reloading whenever you are behind cover or at around 15 bullets.

The rounds dont travel instantly, so familiarize yourself with the speed/trajectory to make your hits count. Once you get the hang of bursting (4-5 shot bursts are great but can take some practice to make them all connect) work on leading moving targets- aim just ahead of their body.

"Tapping" single shots also does work on some targets, give that a try too.

Overall the gauss is a kickass weapon and if more NC learned to use it properly the whole empire would benefit. Really shines when you get 3+ skilled riflemen together on enemy infantry.
Old 2003-09-20, 05:28 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
Sentrosi
Contributor
General

Originally posted by ThundaHawkPS
Overall the gauss is a kickass weapon and if more NC learned to use it properly the whole empire would benefit.
*not me, just some random personality of mine that just popped up*

As if you need more weapons to rule with. Heard of the JackHammer?

*once again, not me. Dominant personality is back*

To the next idiot who says the PS2 Devs do not listen: See this Thread
Old 2003-09-20, 08:08 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
Nimbus
First Lieutenant

Originally posted by ObnoxiousFrog
It has a shocking ability to take out snipers, as they usually dont notice all the damage theyre taking until you've popped them a few times and got behind cover.
I HATE that! Of all the things that kill me while sniping, the freaking Gauss is the most annoying. They always start with a single shot. I always backpedal when I take a hit, then asess the damage and either relocate or move back in. With a Gauss I usually figure it's a stray shot or something, move back in and suddenly I got automatic fire coming in on me.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion