PSU: Only we have the answer.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum

Old 2003-11-10, 03:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Cyborg001
Private

Graphic Card

I am in the process of upgrading my comp and was looking for a graphic card and i found this. http://www.giga-byte.com/VGA/Product...R96P128DU.htm#

Now i was wondering, is it compatiable with a agp pro 1.5v? Is it any good? Saw it for $155 somewhere, is that a good deal? I cant find my answers anywhere. Tell me what you guys think

While i am at it, i have a Asus A7n8x deluxe mobo and was wondering what ram i should get, i was looking at the Kingston 3200 DDR 400 dual channel 2cl, would that be a decent deal? I am working around a $100 Budget for ram. What is the difference between Dual channel and just regular ones, is it worth geting Dual Channel? Sorry if i sound totally clueless, any info would help thanks!
Old 2003-11-10, 03:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

ok that is a brand new card and you have a brand new mobo, it is compatable. the voltages corespond to the AGP level AGP8x is the new thing and your mobo has it so its all good.

Its best to disregard voltages unless they are needed AGP is not one were they are needed

Dual channel is jsut a fancy marketing term DDR40o is Double Data Rate memory runnig at 200 mhz hance ddr400 and you are goin to have to spend 200 to get a gb of good (kingson hyper x or simiar) you need two sticks of memory for dual channel, so get 2 512 mb stick and you are good to go

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.

Last edited by Rbstr; 2003-11-10 at 03:48 PM.
Old 2003-11-10, 05:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
NoSurrender
Contributor
Colonel

yea its will work. Pro is used mostly for workstation cards that draw extra power from AGP slot unlike the newer Nvidia and ATI cards use a hard drive connector. Also Dual Channel means it gives each stick of memory its own channel to send data in which gives alot more bandwith to the computer.

Thanks to Eine for my awesome sig
Old 2003-11-10, 07:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Cyborg001
Private

Thanks for the advice, btw is the video card any good though for $150? I just look at core/mem speed which is 500/600 i suppose that is good?
Old 2003-11-10, 09:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

ok core mem speed means almost nothing, look at bench marks and things, but for 150 the answer is a Radeon 9600 pro or regular get the pro if at all possible, the FX 5700 also looks promising but its to early to tell

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
Old 2003-11-11, 08:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Daleon
Second Lieutenant

Yes, the gigabyte card you linked to is just fine. $150 for a 9600 Pro is pretty much going retail price these days. Also that one has a nice hs on it. The core/mem speeds are full Pro speeds.

As for your ram. $100 is not going to net you much in that department. You'll be lucky to get a decent 512 stick of 3200 cl2 for that much. You are better off get 1x512 stick now and another 512 later than trying to get 2x256 sticks and doing dual channel now. Dual channel does not mean much at all on AMD XP boards, as the memory doesn't really move fast enough to begin with to take advantage of it anyway.
Old 2003-11-11, 06:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Cyborg001
Private

I can't find that dam video card anywhere, the place that i saw it for $155 has totally slipped from my mind!! If any of you guys can give me some links or knows a place that can find it that would be a big help thanks!
Old 2003-11-11, 07:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
NoSurrender
Contributor
Colonel

well www.pricewatch.com is good but be careful while your there.

Thanks to Eine for my awesome sig
Old 2003-11-12, 08:16 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Daleon
Second Lieutenant

Its here:

http://www.gameve.com/gve/Store/Prod...ku=VC-GIGA-017
Old 2003-11-22, 07:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
RagingSpeedhorn
Corporal

Thats the exact same card I bought about a month ago for �130. Very well priced. It works good.

Aquamark score : 20,340
3D Mark score : 3,137
  PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum