A time to gloat and a time to NOT gloat. - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Remember kids, only you can prevent spamming.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2003-11-13, 02:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
BadAsh
First Lieutenant

A time to gloat and a time to NOT gloat.

Last night I had an unusual rash of people who felt the need to taunt me after they got a kill. It amuses me that some players feel the need to taunt those they kill when using a relatively lame attack or tactic. The following are few examples of things that you should not be taunting anyone about as they require virtually no �skill� to accomplish.

A vehicle driver mowing down infantry. This takes no talent and any idiot with vehicle cert can do that� So keep your �owned� comments to yourself please, you�ve impressed no one especially if you are in a Magrider.

A CE that places a boomer at a turn in a hallway or other out-of-view location, who then hides (usually in an infiltrator suit) at a safe distance, and presses the detonator button when an enemy rounds the corner... Please keep your �It�s about the Art� comments to yourself. Any talent less moron can kill in that way. Patience is required, but not �skill�.

An Infiltrator who sneaks behind you with an AMP. Pretty much as long as you are smart and approach your prey from behind, move quietly, and show some basic patience anyone can pull this off. So sneaking a sniper from behind while invisible with a quick kill weapon like the AMP does not constitute a �skill kill� so keep that /tell gloat to yourself.

Other cases are where you have a heavy advantage in a battle are also times to NOT gloat. Let�s say you are in a heavy tank rolling to the next base and you come across a guy in a Rexo with medium assault weapons. The only one here with any possible gloating rights is the infantry guy if he somehow escapes with his hide. A sniper shooting at a non-sniper at extreme range is another example. Either you kill him or he escapes.

To me skill is when your opponent has even odds to fight back. If you are in a position to kill without equal risk to yourself then you are in NO position to gloat or brag. Any buffoon can win if given enough advantage.

BadAsh

Note of Interest: �The Artist� � my slightly sarcastic name for him - from the above boomer kill taunt ate my knife 4 times before leaving the area. It was fun, my tactics changed from defending the base with my Rexo/MCG/Striker to �Artist hunting� with an Infiltration suit, Knife, Dark Sight, and Melee Booster. Note of Interest #2: �The Artist� became very silent�. What? No more taunting? LOL
Old 2003-11-13, 03:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Madcow
Lieutenant Colonel

The only two really bad ones I had:

I was in reinforced and had HART dropped into the middle of a bad area, before the Striker nerf. I was the only TR on my map and knew it was either a long hoof or take out as many as I could before they killed me and gave me a good spawn point. I started launching Strikers at a nearby Lightning, and blew it up just as a Vanguard gunner shelled me. He gave me the "Owned!" comment as if he'd really accomplished something.

The other one happened just the other night. I was in my Vanu MAX and jumped to the top of a tower while under heavy fire. I landed on the walkway and a Pounder MAX was behind me shelling me as I landed. He killed me right as I turned around, and then an infantry turned the corner behind him and gave me some sort of "Owned" comment. The guy hadn't fired a shot.
Old 2003-11-13, 03:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Spee
Colonel

I never /t gloat. However, when I do get killed by HA ( a LOT), I always send a tell to them just saying 'Hey.' Nothing insulting, just a hello.
Old 2003-11-13, 03:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
InfiniteStorm
Corporal

I've never gotten a /t gloat but I have gotten 3-4 accusations of cheating. This kinda makes me feel pretty good cause I don't cheat and the person I killed thought I didn't something well enough to be cheating.

FYI. I hate when people are killed and they immediately jump to the conclusion that everytime they are killed that person must be using a cheat since they obviously have so much more skill than everyone and there is no way that on neutral ground my wielding of a lasher and them wielding a JH/MCG I should win against their superiority.
Old 2003-11-13, 03:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Queensidecastle
Contributor
Major

I love it when I get tells and

V
V
B

When a Reinforced HA using darklight kills me after I left them with 0 health and armor. Someone always finds them limping and kills them a few seconds later anyways
Old 2003-11-13, 04:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
BDMJ
First Sergeant

Damn, lots of anger for cloakers!

I do the boomer + infil thing, and if your opponent is aware of your presence it is difficult. When your opponent has darklight and it actively hunting you boomering is a test of skill. For one thing, boomers are large and yellow (not hard to miss) and your opponent has to not only miss the large yellow high explosive, but also must move close enough to it that you can kill them. Add to that the fact that placing a boomer places a HUGE FUCKING TARGET on an infiltrators head due to the green glow. I agree that an amp in the back is cheesy, but so is the whole USING A GODDAMN HA WEAPON thing. Amping an aware opponent is challenging however.
Old 2003-11-13, 04:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Ait'al
Contributor
General

He gave me the "Owned!" comment as if he'd really accomplished something.
he wasnt saying you owned him? for geting him?
Old 2003-11-13, 04:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Madcow
Lieutenant Colonel

Nope, I blew up a Lightning. I got killed by a Vanguard gunner. He was very proud, apparently.
Old 2003-11-13, 04:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
TheRagingGerbil
Contributor
Major

I got an "owned" gloat from a mini-chaingunner the other night. I was chillin' in a corner of a courtyard in my inf suit when this guy runs directly at me from the other side and blasts the shit out of me. Gloats to me then puts me on ignore.

I agree with you 100% Ash. I don't think I've ever sent a gloat tell come to think of it...Oh, but I should have sent one here recently.

I snuck up behind this Rexo and despatched him with my Mag before he even knew what hit him. As I turned around during my reload, I got a face full of red tracers as another Rexo/Chaingunner was surging at me. I kicked in surge and strafe charged him to the right. Fired once, then leaped into the air. I got one more shot as he pasted, hit the ground and nailed the next two as I circled to the right. I cheered at my screen as I got ran over by a Prowler. That would have been a moment to gloat.
Old 2003-11-13, 05:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Spee
Colonel

I like it when a surging Rexo with a JH calls me a coward for using Plasma 'Nades in my inf suit.

Speaking of which, I racked up about 20 kills tonight with those damn things
Old 2003-11-13, 05:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Hamma
PSU Admin

I get /t's constantly usually harassing me.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2003-11-13, 05:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Nimbus
First Lieutenant

I've only ever gloated once, and thats because I took out a fully armored van with my lightning. That was quite a while ago, maybe 2 months.

Normally if I talk to somebody from the opposition I'm complimenting them on the way they killed me. Although one time I just started talking to somebody for no reason, we didn't even realize we were enemies until like an hour later we actually found each other.
Old 2003-11-13, 06:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
BDMJ
First Sergeant

*sends a tell harassing hamma
Old 2003-11-13, 06:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
kidriot
Sergeant Major

I have pwned and will continue to pwn for as long as I deem u need pwning

signed, the kid
Old 2003-11-13, 07:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
JuSTCHiLLiN
Corporal

The only taunting I do is if someone tells me first. I think it's classless. I do have a local macro "MY SUPRESSOR OWNZ" that I spam when I come out into a camped spawn room and I get a kill.

These screens are from a few months ago. I came down into the basement at Faro started killing guys, I then noticed them not releasing so I hid out of sight and waited for the med ap sound. I pop out, kill the cloaker med, and then get the following:

The kill shot:
http://www3.telus.net/justchillin/pl...de/jcowns1.gif

The tells:
http://www3.telus.net/justchillin/pl...de/jcowns2.gif

If some noob wants to taunt me for kicking their ass fine go ahead I guess.

JuSTCHiLLiN - JCsuperstar - xxJCxx
www.sghq.com formerly of Immortalis Vita
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion