AMD or Pentium? - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: the most interesting website in the world.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum

Old 2003-11-15, 02:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
ZionsFire
Lieutenant Colonel

AMD or Pentium?

Which do you go with? For me its AMD ALL THE WAY!

Goddammit forgot the poll.
Old 2003-11-16, 09:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
NoSurrender
Contributor
Colonel

i have P4 but im buliding a AMD system because its cheaper

Thanks to Eine for my awesome sig
Old 2003-11-17, 08:58 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Daleon
Second Lieutenant

AMD64 for teh win!
Old 2003-11-18, 04:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Ait'al
Contributor
General

just wait for Intel's 64 desktop chip.IE the Pentium V 8)

Youll sing a new tune.
Old 2003-11-18, 08:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Daleon
Second Lieutenant

Heh, the P5? What Itanium? The prescott is their next generation of consumer CPU's for quite a while and its not 64.
Old 2003-11-18, 10:59 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
keaoi
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by Daleon
AMD64 for teh win!
I can hear the gears of the Beast grinding to a halt. An Empire of evil will fall, while a new order for the people reigns. Technology will no longer be held back by profit margins and ignorant CEOs.

This sounds like Microsoft died.

AMD ALL TEH WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

F the Intel. itaniums stand not againist the might of the Athlon64. REJOICE!
Old 2003-11-18, 01:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Ait'al
Contributor
General

just give them a year or two. lol Theyll make one eventually.

If they did it probly be pretty good too. If there smart.

MYbe theyl be back in line with the 386's. 8)
Old 2003-11-18, 03:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

Intel still has higher preformance thant AMD unless you get the 64 FX chip but it realy have bad chipsets and stuff right now. and I want my 3.2 ghz Presscott that will pwn all! did you read my thread on the 2.8? it sounds like its goin to make a very good chip

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
Old 2003-11-19, 08:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Daleon
Second Lieutenant

I think when you see Windows64 playing UT2004/64 you will be changing your mind. Hopefully DM3 will also support 64.
Old 2003-11-19, 03:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

Well the price of a 64 chip( the 3.2 ghx P4/Presscots will be $300 next summer) adn the fact the mobo's are still first gen makes me stick to intel for a while, next time i do the Mobo/mem/CPU/vidcard upgrade all at the same time i might change my mind. Via is comming out with a new Rambus P4 chipset that will use the 1100 mhz( or about that ) stuff, it blows ddr400 and beats ddr500 too.

ALso win xp 64 will cost money, and after you buy a 64/mobo/registered ram you will not have that much left unless you have oodles of cash

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.

Last edited by Rbstr; 2003-11-19 at 03:27 PM.
Old 2003-11-19, 09:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
ZionsFire
Lieutenant Colonel

I wish I had oodles....
Old 2003-11-19, 10:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Daleon
Second Lieutenant

AMD is cheaper than Intel, always. Yea look at price of the FX then look at the price of the EE. Doesn't matter what the Prescott's will be next summer, that is if they even get them out by then, the comparable AMD chips will be cheaper. Thats how AMD plays the market. Gotta love good old fashioned AMD vs Intel arguments heh.

Once the FX gets re-pinned around Feb also it won't need registered ram. AMD has a huge advantage over Intel atm and in the forseeable future. Their chip is out, its making progress, new versions will be out before Intel's even hits, plus AMD is having a cake walk going to 90nm something that is absolutely killing Intel currently. This is something that if you follow CPU manufacturing you would know is a very big deal, ask Nvidia. I would defintely suggest saving the Xmas money up for around March/April time when new FX's and MB's come out.

And rambus? I actually really like the 1066 stuff, it is fast. But the rambus boat has set sail once and took everyone down with it like the titanic. DDR has some very nice new versions coming also, DDR2 being one. And DDR Ram with freaking embedded DDR Cache in it making the stuff insanely faster.
Old 2003-11-20, 04:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Xenar
Private

The Athlon 64's are a good deal more expensive than any of the P4's as of now.

I'm waiting to upgrade til next summer and I'll see what's out by then... we'll have DDR2, PCI Express, NV40/R420, BTX, Socket T - Prescott/Tejas (Tejas may be a little later though depending on if Intel delays it).
Old 2003-11-20, 05:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
WildHamster23
Private

Intel is cheaper... just got an dell 4600 p4 2.66 (533mhz bus) 512ram(2x256)
9800 non-pro (I heard it use the samsung memory and it is good for OC)
80gh, 48X CDRW, ethernet card(gig speed) mouse....etc = $750 - 200(rebate) = $550!!!
I sold my 8300 (on ebay) hehe...

$550
- 80 MOBO
- 40 RAm (512)
- 30 CDRW
- 40 hard drive
- 250 9800np
- 15 keyboard and optical mouse
- 10 gig ethernet card
- 40 case&cpu fan
= $45 for the p4 CPU
sweet deal.....
Old 2003-11-20, 06:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
WildHamster23
Private

AMD has to produce out standing 64bits cpu that would outperform the Intel's future 64 bits cpu... else AMD is not going to survive.
AMD spend lots money on the new chips and hoping to gains more market share for the next generation cpu. On the other hand, Intel did not make 64 bit (for regular consumers) is a smart move. Intel used AMD as a geni pig, for testing out the market. AMD is now force to push the manufactures and software companies to make 64 bits hardwares, which require AMD to spend lots money and other resources in marketing. On the other hand, Intel is saving lots money by not having to spend money on marketing the 64 bits cpus. THen, when software and hardware companies start to make 64 bits softwares and hardwares, Intel will starts to produce their 64bits cpu(1.5 years later). So if Intel 64 bits cpu perform btter than the AMD's cpu, AMD will not gain any market share and instead AMD help Intel setup a market for 64 bits cpu..... any comment?????
  PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum