PSU: Free's your mind...
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum

Old 2003-11-27, 05:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Toften
Private

Exclamation RAM! questions!

I got 512Mb pc2700 RAM how big a diffrence (FPS) does it make if i get 512more?

Also!!!!
I'm thinking 'bout upgrading bits and pieces of my pc, something like a P4 2.8GHz. is it worth spending money on faster ram, like pc3200??? even if i got a Gb pc2700!?
Old 2003-11-27, 05:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

if you get a p4 800mhz FSB yes it is worth it because a P4 makes much better useage of memory bandwith. And if you were to use that memory with the P4 it would be out of sink with the FSB so it would lead to preformance losses. rember you will ne a new Mobo to if you get a p4.

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
Old 2003-11-27, 05:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Toften
Private

ehh.... could u say that in noob'ish!?

i got some of that....
P4FSB800 + pc2700Ram = lower FPS than now?
P4FSB800 + pcfasterRam = empty wallet!?
Old 2003-11-27, 05:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Toften
Private

sure. new CPU i cant use the old Mobo, hehe...
Old 2003-11-28, 05:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
NoSurrender
Contributor
Colonel

personally id just get a better AMD cpu like a 2500 + if your mobo can support it.

Thanks to Eine for my awesome sig
Old 2003-11-28, 07:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
dscytherulez
Lieutenant Colonel

id go for the 3000+ heh, i guess im a bit biased though

Edit: You will notice a fairly big boost in performance with another 512mb stick
Old 2003-11-28, 11:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
OneManArmy
Contributor
Lieutenant General

well if you mostly game worry about the gfx card first. the rest dont mean shit compared to that.
Old 2003-11-28, 11:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

NO the graphis card is nothing if you have a crappy system, i should know, this card runs very well in 3dmark and other mostly Card based test but in CPU, Memory bandwith, and HDD benches it can't hold its own. But it aslo works the other way, if you have the ultimate sytem and a ATI Rage Fury Maxx you will get screwed too. The best hing to do is choose a price range and pick products that fit in, then take whatever is left over and upgrade the things that you can.

oh and i'm fixing my comps problems, having learned my lesson, geting memory, an Audigy card, 2 Raptor Hd's and a new processor within a year, thankyou gods of good fortune.

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
Old 2003-11-29, 02:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
OneManArmy
Contributor
Lieutenant General

which dont play as big a factor in gaming. look if your cpu is meeting the minimum requirments then the gfx card is where its at. now depending on how much ram you have your load times in games will vary but all in all your FPS and determined mostly by the gfx card.
Old 2003-11-29, 02:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

I would bet that if you used a p3 1 ghz like the min requirements say with a rady 9800xt you would get max of 20 fps in PS.

Old 2003-11-29, 07:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
NoSurrender
Contributor
Colonel

rbstr OMA knows what hes talking about.

BTW oma r u coming back to PS? Agent might come back and pytagoras and sp00t r back!

Thanks to Eine for my awesome sig
Old 2003-11-29, 09:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
OneManArmy
Contributor
Lieutenant General

man your right in UT 2003 I'd only get 98 fps and only 132 in QIII definatly not playable...

now I dont know what they would be in PS I'd imagine much lower because PS is a friggen hog. even the top machines dont make it fly.

I got my info from http://www6.tomshardware.com/cpu/200...charts-21.html

and yes the numbers go up dramaticlly but im sure he's not running an old PIII 1ghz.... so invest in that gfx card. (unless you only play PS, then you need to jsut buy a whole new computer )
Old 2003-11-29, 10:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

The p3 1ghz get 1/3 of what the p4 3.06 gets, i don't see how that proves a point

Old 2003-12-01, 02:13 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
OneManArmy
Contributor
Lieutenant General

yea and were not talking about maknig that kind of jump here. he wants to go from a 2100 to a 2.8 intel or somthing... not that big of a difference. (excluding the QIII chart because that game has no bearing anymore)

ofcourse all tihs is really a moot point because he already has a kick ass gfx card.

but I still stand that spending 300 bucks on a 9800 pro is better than spending 300+ bucks on a 2.8 intel set up.
Old 2003-12-01, 06:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
Ait'al
Contributor
General

which dont play as big a factor in gaming. look if your cpu is meeting the minimum requirments then the gfx card is where its at. now depending on how much ram you have your load times in games will vary but all in all your FPS and determined mostly by the gfx card.
The most important factor period in a computer is RAM. YOu have to take some consideration for other things but the most influential is bassically RAM! 8) as a basic guideline for looking at a computer. Once you know that well enough then you look at Proccesor speed etc!

And OMA, if his card has as much memory as his comp ITS NOT A GOOD THING!

Last edited by Ait'al; 2003-12-01 at 06:38 AM.
  PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum