ram? - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: A day without PSU is like....well...um...hell I don't know.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum

Old 2003-12-13, 01:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
mayesey
Private

ram?

i havnt got planetside but im getting a new computer and im jst wondering is it worth getting 512mb ram, 700 and something, or 1 gig? the pc comes with 512 but i can add another 256 or 512. the graphics card is a radeon 9600 pro. so will it improve the game alot more?
Old 2003-12-14, 01:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Daleon
Second Lieutenant

Its a very good improvement from 512 to 1gig. If its not that expensive get it.
Old 2003-12-14, 02:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Ait'al
Contributor
General

Whats the computer. Do you have a link 8)
Old 2003-12-14, 03:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
mayesey
Private

no my friend is building it for me i can tell you the specs though
athlon xp 2600+
80gb hard drive
512/1024mb ram
radeon 9600 pro
cd rw
dvd drive
56k modem (getting broadband in january)
does this help?
Old 2003-12-14, 03:37 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Ait'al
Contributor
General

Get the newer board. with it partially full so you can upgrade it later. Like the new 64bit mobo! 8) Its not that much more. and you have less up grade worries later. 8) Not sure what Proccessers that allows though. have to wait for daleon to get back on!

Specially since hte biggest athlon board goes up to 8 gigs 8d
Old 2003-12-14, 11:59 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

? ait, 64bit mobos are much more expensive, you only have a choise of one chip for each version of the mobo(a sing channel not so great one for the 64 regular t, or a better but still not doing that well dualchannel board for the 64 FX-51, and 600 some dollar chip)

Ask what kind of mobo though, and if its not an Nforce 2 try to get him to get one of those for you.

Also get the gig if you can! ps is the memory monster, more so than most other games out there

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
Old 2003-12-14, 12:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
mayesey
Private

yeah im goin to get 1 gig its only 40 quid (english) more so i think its worth it
Old 2003-12-14, 06:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Daleon
Second Lieutenant

Actaully there are a number of very inexpensive AMD64 boards now. But its not what you want. Setup looks good, 1 gig of ram defintely. If you can find a 9800NP cheap I'd suggest it.
Old 2003-12-14, 06:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

they don't make 9800 np's but they do make an SE that is basicaly the 9800 but with only 4 rendering piplines instead of 8 (same clockspeed even)

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
Old 2003-12-14, 09:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
I Hate Pants
General

Well not that im suggesting it or anything. But I run PS on 768mb of DDR ram and it runs smoothly for me.
Old 2003-12-15, 08:25 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Daleon
Second Lieutenant

ATI does not make them anymore Rbstr, thats nothing like "They don't make them." Try going to Circuit City where they are currently for sale, for $200. Or find hundreds for sale online.
Old 2003-12-15, 12:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
mayesey
Private

i had a gig put in, and kept with the 9600 pro, i was reading pc gamer and pczone and they say it is the best card in my price region, and all i really want it for is to play ps neway. should be getting pc just before xmas!!!!! cant wait to first turn it on and then play ps
Old 2003-12-15, 04:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

Daleon is right i just misstyped, but i would go for the 9600pro over the 9800 anyway, its just doen't seem like a copmpany woud undercut thier midrange product like that without some odd reason, perhaps its lie the way intel does it, they take the P4's that don't come out as good as the others and give them less cache adn a lower FSB and make them into cellerons, and the one that come out of the fab perfect get to become 3.2ghz 800mhz FSB p4's (or whatever speed p4 the need more of, the way intel make it's CPU's is very interesting you should read about it)

Last edited by Rbstr; 2003-12-15 at 04:23 PM.
  PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum