Rambus DDR etc!? - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Hmm, now where did I park my Vanguard?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum

Old 2003-12-21, 12:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Ait'al
Contributor
General

Rambus DDR etc!?

So what is the real difference between DDR and RAmbus and whatever is out right now. What is the HIghest end and what is where. I need to get real info! Im getting realy conflicting info form anyone!
Old 2003-12-21, 12:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Fragmatic
I LIVE IN ENGLAND

RAMBUS/RDRAM = Shiat fast + f00king expensive, only available on P4 mobo's and to be honest, not worth the hassle as it offers minimal speed increase over DDR RAM

DDR RAM = Variety of speeds/types... basically, get some RAM which will match your FSB, IE - an Athlon XP 3000+ runs at 333fsb, so you want DDR 333 RAM (IE, PC2700 or above)

DDR RAM has the added bonus that it can be paired up and duel channeled, improves performence of the memory bus

Hope that helped
[Hezzy]: gg
Old 2003-12-21, 12:43 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Ait'al
Contributor
General

I need info on HIGH END perspective. completely/absolute high end perspective. Er maybe i should say new tech end.
Old 2003-12-21, 12:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Fragmatic
I LIVE IN ENGLAND

Erm, that is
Old 2003-12-21, 01:00 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Ait'al
Contributor
General

Thats mid high end?
Old 2003-12-21, 01:05 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Fragmatic
I LIVE IN ENGLAND

Well RAMBUS is the high end stuff, but unless you fancy paying ALOT of cash, it's really not worth it, nor are the speed gains.

DDR is the way to go, PC 2700 is mid range ddr, but its what you would need if you had a 333fsb processor

Basically, you just get the speed of the RAM that matches your FSB speed
Old 2003-12-21, 01:11 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

The new 1066 mhz rambus give more bandwidth than ddr433 (or mabee 500) if you looking for the ultimate ddr you can get ddr500 and 533 now.

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
Old 2003-12-21, 01:12 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Ait'al
Contributor
General

im not asking form a perspective of what to buy becasue i want to take someones word man. i just want a little of some mroe usefull info. Im spending alot of money for a comp in a few monts hopefully. ALot of money and i ahve four years of comp stuff to get caught up on again and to relearn. I need to get back up to where i can choose all this shit from a very knowledgable perspective. Im trying to weave through all there companies advertising bullshit to get back to the real developement of the technology again.

Edit: new post. Ive seen DDR 550 too. and alot of other stuff. Im using an intel based 800 mhz board and obviously i cant get a nice peak spead ram for it yet(800mhz) even though im looking for it. I want to build the top of what the board could go so i can not have to worry about being able to up grade the ram or anything later till i just build a new comp in 5 - 6 years hopefully. i want to just build the peak comp and just use it for several years. it bothers me enough they make 800mhz board and the damn companies are so cheap they cant produce top line ram anymore for people who can afford. Im just really damn sick of there fucking tactics and am desperatley looking for a way to get past it.

Last edited by Ait'al; 2003-12-21 at 01:18 AM.
Old 2003-12-21, 01:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Fragmatic
I LIVE IN ENGLAND

Then don't get RAMBUS/RDRAM, it's practically extinct

Just get the best DDR ram you can afford and duel channel it
Old 2003-12-21, 01:21 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

yeah divide the 800mhz by 4 and thats your fsb speed(intel uses whats called a quad pumped bus), divide your DDR(like 400mhz) by two to get you ram speed(part of the dual channel thing is 2x the memories true speed), if they match then your good. anything over ddr400 is overclocking memory, so if you have ddr500 then you set your fsb to 250(x4 = 1000mhz) and your good to go, the reason for overclocking memory is more stable overclocking becasue you can match the fsb speed to it.

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
Old 2003-12-21, 01:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Ait'al
Contributor
General

OHHH i though that was a single speed! If i put in the 500mhz and dont overclock the board what will happen?

200 thats shit. 8\ What, doesnt anyone make real straightforward boards anymore(resolved the need to use channels like that)? GRRR! i like the speed of there stuff better though. Is there anything thats like the old 86 boards anymore? thats top of the line. IM guessing not, but....

So how does amd work now?

I htough they(intel) were finnaly thinking and just adding a bunch of new phycical channels at the same speed to deal with more info or atleast something more ingeniuse than that. i dont know why though! 8\ i feel so used.

Last edited by Ait'al; 2003-12-21 at 01:40 AM.
Old 2003-12-21, 11:13 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

I'm gona se if i can find a place that explians it better, AMD uses a 2x bus, to thier bus speed is 1/2 the one listed (so it coresponds to the DDR memory exactaly, no work on maching to the FSB) but thats only for the Athlon, i don't know about the 64's other than that the 3200+ 64 and 3000+ 64 don't do dual channel memory and they need that Registered stuff (slower and more expensive = evil!)

The whole reason for quadpumped and they like is that they do as much work as an 800mhz fsb would do but it only has to run at 200mhz, so mhz doen't matter as much anymore, where the amount of work done matters, but for advertizing purposes they say 800mhz because it looks faster than quadpumped 200mhz.

Old 2003-12-21, 12:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Ait'al
Contributor
General

But im a purist. 8) lol
And i meant am i likely to run into errors if i dont oc the board with the 500mhz ram in?
  PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum