PSU: Kicking the VS to the curb since [classified]
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum

Old 2003-12-29, 06:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
gonnagetyou
First Lieutenant

RAM problem

I just installed two 512mb sticks of RAM. They both work, but my computer is only recognizing one stick at a time. I can put one or the other in and it says I have 512mb. If I drop both in it still only says I have 512mb. What to do now?
Old 2003-12-29, 06:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
mechaman
Sergeant Major

Does your motherboard support more than 512mb of ram?
Old 2003-12-29, 07:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
gonnagetyou
First Lieutenant

Good question. How do I find out? I'm basically still learning when it comes to these things.
Old 2003-12-29, 07:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

you need to look at you mobo's instructions, or call the company you bought it from (as is more likely)

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
Old 2003-12-29, 07:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
gonnagetyou
First Lieutenant

Thanks for the help! I'll deffinantly check out my motherboard.

Is there any other possible reason that the computer would only recognize one stick? Taking into consideration that both sticks are good.
Old 2003-12-29, 09:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
SwitchFlip
Private

im think of buying some more ram, since i only have 256, im probably gonna get 1 stick of 512 or maybe 2 sticks but what kind of ram should i get, i only have $235 dollars canadian what should i buy?
Old 2003-12-29, 10:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Ait'al
Contributor
General

get 235 American! 8D

To start we need to know your motherboard bus speed so we know what speed ram to get. What is your mother board actually? Give me a link if you have one, or jsut the stats. We also need to know if its DDR or not but im guessing thats a given!

Heres some good DDR 400. Youll want to replace anything you have with it: http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/Produc...tCode=80097-26 (283$)this is one gig, if you cant use 3200 it only gets cheaper from here! corsair twinx pro is very good! Or so im told 8) this is a pack of two 512s that dual to a gig.
First version of above: http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/Produc...tCode=80097-18 250$
non pro type: http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/Produc...tCode=80097-27
Im not sure the difference form the different latencies:

Site im getting this all from http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/Produc...&Brand=CORSAIR

Heres the 3000 stuff: http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/Produc...&Brand=CORSAIR
Heres the 2700 stuff: http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/Produc...&Brand=CORSAIR

Id go with the twinx prostuff since its in your price range! 8) assuming your computer supports ddr 400. The 283$ one and the 250$ dollar ones i listed the prices for are the same thing with different latency. Those are the better ones. 8) But the third one is the first one without all the extra stuff and the higher latency. Its the same price as the second one but without all the stuff the pro ram comes with.

Last edited by Ait'al; 2003-12-29 at 10:40 PM.
Old 2003-12-30, 08:17 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Daleon
Second Lieutenant

If both sticks work fine by themselves, and your mb is new enough support 512 DDR in the first place, my best guess is one of the sticks is buffered. Which means you can't use it with unbuffered memory. This would mean you bought something like pc2100 DDR or so, as its still pretty tough to get any higher speed DDR buffered currently. Did you buy the ram or get it from someone?
Old 2003-12-30, 10:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
SwitchFlip
Private

I cant find anything on my mobo, but it's called KM400GA6734 whatever the hell that is and right now for ram im using pc2700 256 mb ddr ram, and all i know about my mobo is that it supports up too 1 gig of ram
Old 2003-12-30, 10:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
SwitchFlip
Private

it came with my comp, i cant find my comp on the internet, but its a cicero i got it from future shop
Old 2003-12-30, 11:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Ait'al
Contributor
General

This has got to be something more interesting than buffered ram. That would be such a let down 8)

Where did you get the ram and was there any packaging? do you stil have it? etc Wheres your manual and whats it say in it about memory. look in hte begining unless manuals have changed drasticaly in hte last 10 years or my memories that bad!

what do you remember about this alleged "memory buying" (im being a detective today! wheres the sherlock holmes smiley?)

Last edited by Ait'al; 2003-12-30 at 11:22 AM.
Old 2003-12-30, 11:28 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
SwitchFlip
Private

Originally Posted by Ait'al
(im being a detective today! wheres the sherlock holmes smiley?)
lmao
Old 2003-12-30, 12:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Ait'al
Contributor
General

IM not a nazi ?? 8(
Old 2003-12-30, 01:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

Buffered ram sound like it migh be plausible, but than that buffered stick wouldn't work, but both of his do, a mobo has to support it and most do not, just server boards mainly and then AMD 64.

No Ait your not a nazi, just crazi.

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
Old 2003-12-30, 02:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Daleon
Second Lieutenant

Dood, give some more info on the freaking ram. Playing guessing games is a pain.
  PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum