Viewing Distance - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: How do I submit a Quote?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2004-01-05, 07:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Mognoc
Sergeant

Viewing Distance

I think that the Bolt Driver should up the players veiwing distance a bit. I don't want any Repeater\Gauss\Lasher\Etc. guys shooting you from half a map away, but on all of the continents besides desert, finding a good sniping spot is a real pain and usually out of range of a base or tower (I've got veiwing distance on Max, too). I'd also really like a prone position for sniping. (That's probably been discussed a whole bunch)
Old 2004-01-05, 07:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
MuNsTeR
Sergeant Major

go to custom under graphics and u can make the viewing distance
Old 2004-01-05, 07:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Ghryphen
PSU Code Monkey

Originally Posted by Mr Monkey
go to custom under graphics and u can make the viewing distance
Originally Posted by Mognoc
(I've got veiwing distance on Max, too).

Twitter | Dragon Wolves
Old 2004-01-05, 07:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Professor Frink
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Mognoc
I'd also really like a prone position for sniping. (That's probably been discussed a whole bunch)
Yea we talked about that a bit. It sounds good but we figured the game would dissolve into "Sniper Side."
Old 2004-01-05, 07:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
MuNsTeR
Sergeant Major

o, didnt read the whole thing
Old 2004-01-05, 07:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Mognoc
Sergeant

Naw, I dont think that it would make it dissolve into sniperside, I think a simple counterbalance for that would alleviate that problem, maybe slower turning, increased loading times, and depending upon the reaction, having to re-aim after every reload.
Old 2004-01-05, 08:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

I think anything done to the sniper rifle is a bda idea becasue its very well mad/ballenced

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
Old 2004-01-06, 08:10 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
SilverLord
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by Rbstr
I think anything done to the sniper rifle is a bda idea becasue its very well mad/ballenced
Oh it is very. I'm just glad there isn't headshots and such, thats so cheap.

Old 2004-01-06, 09:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
TheRagingGerbil
Contributor
Major

The sniper rifle is one of the best implemented weapons in the game. I absolutely love it to death and would hate it if they modified it in any way.

I do agreee the view distance needs to be upped. It is silly that I can clearly see the tower 350 meters away, yet I can't see the guys running around on the catwalks. If anything, the slider range for viewing distance needs to be increased. Set the current max as the new middle and set the max at like 600 meters. I think the current limit is 300 and the engine stops rendering troops and vehicles.

Us guys with powerhouses under the desk shouldn't be neutered just so guys with lesser units can compete.
Old 2004-01-06, 09:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
SilverLord
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by TheRagingGerbil
Us guys with powerhouses under the desk shouldn't be neutered just so guys with lesser units can compete.
Screw you man!!

Old 2004-01-06, 12:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Krinsath
Sergeant Major

Yeah...it makes the Range Magnifier implant kind of stupid at times...sure, you can see 12x zoom, but the engine won't render the troops out there. And in a large battle, your crosshairs will turn red but you can't see the enemy to judge direction of movement.

The prone position thing has been discussed and would require too much animation and engine recoding to be worth the effort when there are so many other things that would appeal to a wider player base (Capitols, new base layouts, OBO, Campaigns, etc.). I agree that it'd be cool, but I doubt severely that it will ever happen.

The only thing that needs to be fixed about sniping is the fact that it's possible to snipe from the top of a hill where it's impossible to be hit by return fire. If you can hit someone, you should be able to be hit in return (especially if the person is using the same weapon as you), and that's not always the case.

Everything else about it (again, minus the silly range problems and invulnerable snipers) seems to work really, really well...and yes, I like the no insta-kill on regular grunts even though my two primary characters are both snipers.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion