PSU: Putting the "WTF" in "fansite".
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum

Old 2004-01-08, 10:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Smaug
Lieutenant Colonel

So I tried watercooling

Ok well yesterday I decided to try out watercooling because all the fans were just driving me CRAZY.

So I started off by taking all the fans out of my case and off the video card, off the heatsink, and out of the powersupply. The PS fan was a hard one to get out I eventually just sort of smashed it a bit with a hammer and it popped out.

The most difficult part was sealing all the ventilation ducts with silicon, I covered up all the fan grills and caulked around the little openings on the sides and stuff.

So I was all set I had everything sealed off except one of the 5 1/2" drive bays so I took a garden hose that I had routed through the window from outside and stuck it in the drive bay, then turned on the hose and success!!!! no leaks. I let it fill up to just before it would spill out of the drive bay and turned the water off. It was really really heavy when I was moving it under the desk with all that water but it didn't bother me much because I didn't plan on moving it

Well I had everything ready so I plugged in the powersupply into the wall and before I could even hit the power button I heard a loud popping noise and all the lights went out.

I dunno the lights are back on but what possibly could have gone wrong?
Old 2004-01-08, 10:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
DraygoKorvan
Private

ROFL, this one wins.
Old 2004-01-08, 11:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Smaug
Lieutenant Colonel

I don't understand why are you laughing at me!!!

I followed this guide word by word! http://www.avforums.com/frame.html?h...5&pagenumber=1
Old 2004-01-09, 12:00 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

lol i hope that relay didn't happen.

I hope Ait doen't get that confused

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
Old 2004-01-09, 12:47 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Ait'al
Contributor
General

I wont 8) The power of water cooling
Maybe you were leaking a little and it ran down the cord to the socket. >< That used to happen in a house i lived in because we hit the power limit in summer alot(not the water leaking in hte socket). That could have nothing to do with your comp.

Last edited by Ait'al; 2004-01-09 at 12:49 AM.
Old 2004-01-09, 06:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Squick
Major

Woah, look at MuFu's post... His hose got clogged or something and it blew out!

This is a neat idea too:
http://www.octools.com/index.cgi?cal...bmersion8.html

I could not find the mineral oil one I saw from way back when though. Make sure to read submersion to the final page, got a twist ending I love that these people use liquid nitrogen, flourinert, and all kinds of super expensive pumps... But use a 39 cent cooler for a case!
Old 2004-01-09, 03:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Smaug
Lieutenant Colonel

nah what happened to mufu is that he didn't turn his pump on after he turned his comp on, then he went and got a snack or something. So he came back and the comp had locked up, so he restarted and a while after that he thought he saw smoke coming out the back of his comp. It was really steam, and the water had been sitting in the block and had reached boiling point and the hose exploded. But it turned out that the comer guy was joking.
Old 2004-01-09, 04:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Squick
Major

Originally Posted by Smaug
nah what happened to mufu is that he didn't turn his pump on after he turned his comp on, then he went and got a snack or something. So he came back and the comp had locked up, so he restarted and a while after that he thought he saw smoke coming out the back of his comp. It was really steam, and the water had been sitting in the block and had reached boiling point and the hose exploded. But it turned out that the comer guy was joking.
Thats scary... You would think the pump would use a relay to turn on and off based on the PSU.
Old 2004-01-09, 04:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

yeah i would think it was pluged ito the PSU and so it turned on automaticaly like Squick said, mabee it was an external type thing

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
Old 2004-01-09, 05:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Smaug
Lieutenant Colonel

Yeah the guy said he was going to use a relay, but then he was just too lazy, and he decided he would never forget to turn the pump on anyways
Old 2004-01-09, 05:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

lol that happens to me alot, i forget to turn up my Spark 7 and it crashes, becasue i'm to lazy to put the temp control thing that came with it on. I wish i could have it temp controled but manual when i wanted without having to open my case, i can almos tturn the thing off when i watching TV or surfing.

Old 2004-01-10, 03:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Ait'al
Contributor
General

you can buy switches for everything that you jsut turn on on your own after you turn on the power. They have sound activation usually and/or temp sensors activation.
  PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum