External cablem modems? - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: You WILL NOT gain CEPs for posts...
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum

Old 2004-01-15, 02:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Ait'al
Contributor
General

External cablem modems?

What is the best Pc external cable modem. No price considerations.
Old 2004-01-15, 03:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

uh the calbe company usualy gives you one, and it deon't realy matter becasue your bandwidth is limited to so much on cable anyway. Like even though i could be getting the whoel amoutn of bandwidth on my node, because there is like one 2 other people on it i still can only get 3mbps at max, i have only gotten the DL speed once becuase most servers can dish that much out to you

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
Old 2004-01-15, 10:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Ait'al
Contributor
General

But whats the best external cable modem. Im not using one from a cable company. I have my reasons. I just dont know who has what or what the better ones are.
Old 2004-01-15, 10:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Cyanide
Major

Surfboard is a pretty popular brand. My cousin has a Tayon (or something like that) and it seems ok.

All I can tell you really is, DO NOT get a USB cable modem. USB is prone to bursty speed. Meaning that even thoug its max bandwidth is more than you'll ever get from your connection, it does not maintane that bandwidth very well. It will sometimes completely stop transmitting for pretty much no reason. Make sure the modem is ethernet based and you should be fine.

Personally I would go with the company provided modem, unless it's USB. That way if something goes wrong with it you won't have to buy a new modem, they'll just send you a new one.
Old 2004-01-15, 10:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Ait'al
Contributor
General

I need to buy one ot hook up to a bunch of stuff. Can i hook one up through a tv tooner and other stuff at the same time? I want to be able to use it like a tv and maybe even see if i can record stuff like PSU play on a vcr. I think i saw one from motorola that looked like it had like every type of connection for it.

Last edited by Ait'al; 2004-01-15 at 11:17 PM.
Old 2004-01-15, 11:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Phaden
Contributor
Major

Well the cable modem typically is handled like so:

Coax from wall goes to cable modem

Cable modem goes to router/switch

all devices hitch into router/switch

If you want to watch TV from your PC, you need a video card to support such a thing.

No garuntees as i have not done the TV thing, but this is always how i have seen it done
Old 2004-01-16, 01:16 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Ait'al
Contributor
General

Hows this, Where can i get a 1gig or up feed. http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProduc...nufactory=1566
Old 2004-01-16, 03:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

1 gig feed? sorry but a cable connections thats been uncaped can even do that much.
My connection can get up to 3000kbps or 3mbps and i have NEVER gotten a server that gave me more than 1mbps, something to note internet speed is in bits not bytes!!!! you know how bits and bytes work i hope, alot of people get confused by this

I have a tobisa of some kind, this one's nice, but that other tobisa i had whent haywire.

Also i use an Aver media TV tuner card to watch cable TV, you can't watch cable with a cable modem, its different stuff, unless you can find a place thats streaming it over the net.

Most all cards have a component video out that you can use to record stuff, or plug your TV into, as i have done with my old comp before we got a DVD player

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.

Last edited by Rbstr; 2004-01-16 at 03:12 PM.
Old 2004-01-16, 11:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
NoSurrender
Contributor
Colonel

dude any non USB modem is fine.

Thanks to Eine for my awesome sig
Old 2004-01-16, 11:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

i realy recomend using ethernet if at all possible, its far better from my expericance

Old 2004-01-17, 12:10 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Cyanide
Major

Ok, explaining the bits and bytes thing, just FYI. A bit is one binary digit. Either a 1 or a 0. There are 8 bits in a byte. That's why you download something with your "56k" modem, the displayed download speed never actually gets anywhere near 56. Now, 56/8 is 7. So you could think that you should be capable of 7K (capital K means kilobytes, lower-case k means kilobits) per second. The problem is that the normal copper phone lines are capped at about 44k per second, or about 5.5 kilobytes (to prevent overheating and leave room for phone traffic). Which is more like the max speed most people see on a dial-up connection.

Anyway. If you want to watch cable TV through your internet line you'll have to find some way of decoding the signal. The TV and internet related signals are in differnt formats, and I'm not even sure a standard cable modem could do anything with a TV broadcast.

About recording to a VCR. If your card has s-video, you can either get a VCR with s-video in, or you can get an adapter box (radio shack carries them) that will convert the s-video to component output (s-video has better quality than component). Then you can plug that into your VCR and/or TV and record the output or watch it on the TV. Remember that your TV's screen resolution is probably MUCH lower than your monitor. So if you try to record in 1024x768 or higher, you might get a lot of nasty looking crap on your TV screen. Try 640x480, or whatever the lowest resolution your card will allow is, then bump it up slowly until you get to the max that your tv is capable of.
Old 2004-01-17, 12:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Ait'al
Contributor
General

IM using a computer moniter but now that you mention it maybe ill plug in my tv too.
IM pretty sure the cable companies here and in northwest ohio all have internet feed specificaly. They make a point of it i think, atleast in Ohio. I know buckycable did and so did the other local ones. We have a lot of high end cabling in that region to keep up with technology. Toledo college has internet sercive and crap it runs cable thought there servers or something, not that they need to. We ahve/had heavy tech there. blah blah blah. Edit: i think it was that they had stuff so you could run it through your comp, but i think there new digital stuff might run over the net.

Whatver im trying ot say i should be able to find someone easily from back home atlease who had it. I just hope they will let me use the feed across state.

Edit: thinking about it i think i was looking at 1-10 megbyte modems. Anyone have any idea where i could have seen it. Hows the one i linked to? the motorola one?

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProdu...anufactory=1566

Last edited by Ait'al; 2004-01-17 at 12:39 AM.
Old 2004-01-17, 08:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
Phaden
Contributor
Major

Thats the same one i have. I get now where near the amount that you are talking. But i get messed up with teh bits and bytes. But i basicall DL at 100-200 KB. Upload is of course much slower. I really haven not heard of anything like the speeds you are talking, aside from OC25 or mult T3's. And those are a little of the price range you are looking for.
Old 2004-01-17, 01:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Ait'al
Contributor
General

I dont have a price range. I have never said i had a price range. What do they cost and wheres a link?
Old 2004-01-17, 02:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
NoSurrender
Contributor
Colonel

check here for availability. http://orderdsl.net/biz-dsl-goog.htm

Thanks to Eine for my awesome sig
  PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum