Boosting Frame Rate? - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Hey you've got something on your shirt...
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum

Old 2004-01-20, 11:13 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Tobiaswolff
Private

Boosting Frame Rate?

Aye, okay, here's my system.

1.4 Ghz Athlon TB
128 Radeon 8500
1 gig of (Woohoo) SDRAM

Think those are the priorities.

Now I don't want the suggestion of "Dude, save up and buy a new computer." I know I need to, am in the process of it. I'm a poor college student and Mom and Dad don't buy things that I don't need to survive. So yeah, maybe this summer I can actually have bigger everything.

But right now I get a bout 20-30 FPS on continents, 40 or higher indoors, unless it's one of those giant stupid battles then I'm down to 10 and under.

Anyone have suggestions on how to kick my FPS up? I'm only 400 Mghz shy on the recommended settings on the box, and everything else is either equal or over their specifications. I figure there must be something keeping me so bogged down at 800x600.
Old 2004-01-20, 12:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
martyr
Contributor
Brigadier General

Misc Info

we can compare.

2x 2.4gHz xeons
2gb pc2100
128 geforcefx 5900

at 1280x1024 with everything turned off
i spent half my night at 4-20fps, the other half at 50(sanc).

so don't expect much boost... ever.

aside: do not believe the ad. planetside may "run great" on intel, but it DOES NOT SUPPORT HYPERTHREADING. it runs greater on amd. yes, i'm bitter. sorry.
Old 2004-01-20, 12:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Laeritides
Staff Sergeant

You can try to OC your processor and Video card. Maybe someone else will have a better suggestion.
Old 2004-01-20, 12:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Daleon
Second Lieutenant

Your pc stats themselves aren't that bad. Do you know if that 8500 is a full speed board or a LE? If its an LE, I would try and clock it up some.

Keep tweaking your video settings in game. Make sure no AA/AF are turned on. Make sure pretty much nothing else is loading in your task bar when you play. Also that Windows is in pretty good shape, meaning boots up and shutdowns fairly quickly, launches apps fast, etc.
Old 2004-01-20, 01:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Tobiaswolff
Private

It's apparently a full speed board, I couldn't find any LE anywhere on my system, it was always listed as a Radeon 8500. AA and AF off, I think I have mine set to application preference so I'll go toy with those.

I did notice under device manager it had my AGP graphics card listed as being plugged into PCI bus 1. Anything to this? (And yes, I'm positive it's an AGP card.) Thanks for your help guys, it is much appreciated.
Old 2004-01-20, 02:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
dscytherulez
Lieutenant Colonel

You could use a good new vid card. That seems to be your major problem.
Old 2004-01-20, 03:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

i would say your bigest weak link is you memory bandwidth, the 8500 isn't a bad card, but you have pc133 i take it and thats kinda slow for this day and age, however the only solution there is a new mobo with DDR memory and so that it out of the picture. My sugestion to you is keep it on lowest settings, and try setting your pagefile to a non changing amount, thats better than i got on my p4 1.3, with 512 pc-600 and a rady 7000

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
Old 2004-01-20, 03:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Tobiaswolff
Private

Pagefile, how does one do that?
Old 2004-01-20, 04:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

for XP home, and most others) Go to the control planel --> system --> advanced --> performance settings --> advanced --> vitual memory change -- > custom size --> set the max and min the same to the same size, mine is 2gb, and there you go

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
Old 2004-01-20, 11:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Daleon
Second Lieutenant

The only real way to see if you have a LE board is to download one of the tweaker programs like radeonator and it will tell you your core/mem speeds. I think full retail is 275/275 and LE is 250/250 but not 100% sure.
  PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum