Interesting article, re: Intel and AMD linked - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Slapping people with trouts since 2002.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum

Old 2004-02-15, 09:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Squick
Major

Interesting article, re: Intel and AMD linked

http://news.com.com/2100-1006_3-5159...l?tag=nefd_top

Very interesting article! Most of it can be summed up with this:

The 1995 settlement terms capped a contentious and lengthy series of legal battles between AMD and Intel. Intel developed the world's first microprocessor in 1971. It relied on the so-called x86 architecture, which has since served as the blueprint for the vast majority of microprocessors that Intel and AMD have made.

IBM adopted x86 chips for its first computers in 1982. As part of the IBM deal, Intel licensed the x86 architecture to AMD so that IBM could have a second source for chips. (Ironically, until Opteron came out, IBM only used AMD chips once and for a very brief period.)

Under the terms of the settlement, both companies gained free access to each other's patents in a cross-licensing agreement. AMD agreed to pay Intel royalties for making chips based on the x86 architecture, said Mulloy, who worked for AMD when the settlement was drafted. Royalties, he added, only go one way. AMD does get to collect royalties from Intel for any patents Intel might adopt.
Old 2004-02-15, 09:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

Intel is basicaly where it is because IBM let it just like microsoft was.
But now the patents have ran out so everythings game without royatlies as i understand(original x86 patents that is).

Now with the AMD64 64bit instructions taking over Intel is in a crunch, they have the Itanium x64(its not x86 at all it relies on translator things) instructions that are not truly x86 32 compatible, and AMD has the x86 64 bit instructions that are backwards compatible.

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
Old 2004-02-15, 10:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Ait'al
Contributor
General

told you Intel is making a 64bit soon. There going to come out with it early too, if you dont realize it. 8) Its Intels way!

And see, theres a reason AMD is around. Intell makes money off there sales.

While the terms may seem one-sided, AMD has benefited from the agreement as well. Without the clean and enforceable right to make x86 chips granted by the agreement, AMD would not have been able to produce the K6, K6 II, K6III, Athlon, Duron, Athlon 64 or Opteron chips without fear of incurring a lawsuit.

The deal also came at a time when AMD was facing difficult pressures. Soon after, the company, based in Sunnyvale, Calif., would also go on to report five successive annual financial losses.

But, Belgard said of the agreement: "AMD is in business because of it."
This makes me think of something. Remember, Intels your daddy!

Last edited by Ait'al; 2004-02-15 at 10:39 PM.
Old 2004-02-15, 10:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

Intel has no confirmed x86 64bit chip (Itanium is not x86) there are rumors of one by the code name of Yamhill but they all put it far in the futer afre the release of Tjedas and such.

If Intel goes AMD's way thing will basicaly be the way they always have been, Intel in the lead, just becasue they can put HUGE amounts of resorces on it(and the marketing force they have) with AMD for the enthusists

But if they strike out on there own, it will be very interesting, becasue if they succeed in making a far supirior part somehow (i read an article two weeks ago about how hard it is to make changes like this) they could get rid of AMD, and that would be bad. If they fail they have the recorces to come back, even thouhg it will hurt like getting a leg cut off.

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
  PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum