Nvidia Announces new line of PCI Express Cards - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Wait, wait, you have to actually "aim" in this game?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum

Old 2004-02-17, 10:10 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Biohazzard56
Contributor
Major General

Nvidia Announces new line of PCI Express Cards

Originally Posted by Actiontrip.com
Today NVIDIA announces its top-to-bottom family of PCI Express graphics processing units (GPUs) - GeForce PCX 5950, GeForce PCX 5750, GeForce PCX 5300, and GeForce PCX 4300.

By using an innovative PCI Express (PCX) high-speed interconnect (HSI), a complex piece of networking technology that performs seamless, bi-directional interconnect protocol conversion at incredible speed lines, NVIDIA can transform its current award-winning GeForce FX series into a full family of PCI Express GPUs.

Here's more info from NVIDIA's official press release:

- NVIDIA GeForce PCX 5950� based on the DX9 GeForce architecture, this new GPU delivers extreme graphics power and performance for extreme gamers.

- NVIDIA GeForce PCX 5750 � designed for high-performance gaming with NVIDIA's full suite of cinematic effects and an unmatched feature set.

- NVIDIA GeForce PCX 5300 �delivers state-of-the-art, best-in-class features and the reliability users have come to expect from NVIDIA, at an affordable price.

- NVIDIA GeForce PCX 4300 � provides entry-level pricing coupled with strong performance, unbeatable visual quality, and DVD playback.

Apparently, these will be available some time during Q2 2004.
I heard about the speeds of the new cards that were up to 4x faster than today's fastest GPU's (not shure if it was Ati or Nvidia making that claim)

Which brings me to my question cause im looking to upgrade my CPU, Mobo, RAM

Will PCI Express will replace AGP?
Old 2004-02-17, 12:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Fragmatic
I LIVE IN ENGLAND

Originally Posted by Biohazzard56
Will PCI Express will replace AGP?
Yes, along with BTX replacing ATX
[Hezzy]: gg
Old 2004-02-17, 03:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

Nvidias first PCIe(as pci experesses official abreviation is now) are nothing more than Regular AGP cards fitted with a bridge chip to make them compatable.

But the NV40 and NV43 will be native PCIe(and they will also come in AGP versions) so they will be worth looking at.

ATI and Nvidia are claiming 3x the perfomance with the R400 and NV40(agp/pcie cards) respectivly

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
Old 2004-02-17, 05:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Biohazzard56
Contributor
Major General

Looks like im waiting a little longer to upgrade my system
Old 2004-02-17, 05:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
dscytherulez
Lieutenant Colonel

I'll have to wait until after I buy my car to get a new vid card. I think my Radeon 9800 Pro will hold over pretty well until then.
Old 2004-02-17, 08:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

Yeah my next comp will be kickass as i will have a job, i'm thinking P4e 3.6 or 3.8 on a 775 socker i925 chipset mobo with the audigy 2 i have now, a gig of DDR533 DDR2 memory, a couple of nice SATA 74 Gb raptor drives. and an NV43 or R420

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
Old 2004-02-17, 10:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Sentrosi
Contributor
General

Yeah, I'm looking at my next major overhaul to not happen til around Christmastime. I've got a 2800+ along with 1 GB PC2700 DDR and GeForce4TI 4200. Can't think about upgrading much til the winter. I might get the Radeon AGP card just to have around, then build up my other PC with updated parts.

BTX probably won't become an industry standard until late 2005 or 2006. Right now the market is flooded with ATX mobo's. It'll take a while for the other standard to start flooding the markets and delivering the price point we all want.

To the next idiot who says the PS2 Devs do not listen: See this Thread
Old 2004-02-18, 03:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

YEah i think BTX won't be around untill the next year, not too many peop lwill want ot have to fork over for a new case to put in new parts.

Sentrosi, PCIe 16x(as teh graphics slot is called) is not backwards compatible with AGP, though the regualr PCIe slots are

Old 2004-02-18, 10:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Squick
Major

Where does the bottleneck now lie in gaming? I was always under the impression it was not with the AGP bus, but with the memory bus (sorta fixed by DDR, and greatly helped with dual channel DDR, and possibly relieved with DDR2) or the CPU bus (CPU runs at 2.7Ghz, bus runs at 400 Mhz...)

I know your hard drive is still a god awful component, but for the most part everyone is running enough ram to cache an entire game into live memory.
Old 2004-02-18, 10:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

To tell you the trueht i do not know anymore, i thin k it is the memory, but ddr2 533 wil probably be standard on most Mobo's with PCIe soon

Old 2004-02-19, 01:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
GreyFox
First Sergeant

I always believed the hard drive is one of the biggest bottlenecks, even if you don't use any virtual memory at all.
Old 2004-02-19, 03:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

Probably but they are used relivitly little in the whole sceme of things now.

PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum