Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum

Old 2004-02-27, 10:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Deadlock
Contributor
First Lieutenant

Time for a new rig

Being as dumb as i am about the insides of my pc, I want you guys opinion on what i should add to this pre-package deal from sony... but keep in mind, we have limited funds and i dont really wanna go too far over 2k.

Here's it's specs from the web page... i understand maybe half of it
� MODEL
PCV-RZ54G

� PROCESSOR
Intel� Pentium� 4 Processor 3.20 GHz� with Intel� Hyper-Threading Technology

� OPERATING SYSTEM
Microsoft� Windows� XP Media Center 2004 Edition
VAIO� recommends Microsoft� Windows� XP Media Center Edition

� CACHE MEMORY
512KB Integrated On-Die Level 2

� FRONT SIDE BUS SPEED
800MHz

� STANDARD RAM
512MB PC3200 400MHz DDR (expandable to 2.0GB) (this is what i run now so i figure id upgrad this)

� HARD DRIVE3
200GB��3 7200rpm Ultra ATA/100 Hard Drive

� DVD�RW / CD-RW DRIVE***
DVD�RW
-RW (8X max. write / 4X max. rewrite / 8X max. read)
+RW (8X max. write / 4X max. rewrite / 8X max. read)
CD-RW (24X max. write / 24X max. rewrite / 32X max. read)

� DVD-ROM
16X max. DVD-ROM Read / 40X max. CD-ROM read

� FLOPPY DISK DRIVE
3.5" 1.44MB Floppy Disk Drive

� VIDEO & GRAPHICS
NVIDIA� GeForce� FX5200 w/TV-Out (i have a radon 6800 pro i can transfer from this comp if its any better)
128MB Video Memory (128-bit DDR)
TV-Out / VGA-Out / DVI-Out (DVI Output: 1280x1024x60Hz max.)
8X AGP 3D Graphics Hardware Acceleration
Giga PocketTM Engine MPEG2 Realtime Encoder/Decoder board with TV Tuner

� AUDIO
Creative� Soundblaster� Audigy�

� ETHERNET
GigaBit Ethernet: 10Base-T/100Base-TX/1000Base-TX Ethernet (RJ-45)

� MODEM
V.90 compatible data/fax modem

� EXPANSION SLOTS
One 8x AGP (occupied by Graphics Card)
Three PCI (none available)
Multi-Media Card Reader (Memory StickTM, Compact
FlashTM Type I & Type II, IBM Micro DriveTM, and Smart MediaTM)

� EXPANSION BAYS
Two 5.25" Half-Height (occupied)
One External 3.5" (occupied)
Two Internal 3.5" (one occupied)

� PORT CONNECTORS
Seven USB 2.0 (Three front/four rear)
Two PS/2� (Mouse/Keyboard)
One VGA/DVI Monitor Port / TV-Out Port
One S/PDIF Out / One Parallel Port / One Line In
One 6pin i.LINK Port (rear)/ One 4pin (front)
One Headphone / One Microphone
S-Video: Two Inputs (front and rear)
Composite Video / Audio Inputs (front and rear)
Coaxial Input (VHF/UHF)

� SUPPLIED ACCESSORIES
Speakers (Stereo) w/Subwoofer
IR Remote Control and Receiver / IR Blaster
VAIO� Keyboard / PS/2� Optical Mouse

� POWER REQUIREMENTS
295 watts max. / 100-120V ~4.7A (50/60Hz)

Thanks for any advice... also, if u think there somethin i should look at besides sony, let me know
Old 2004-02-27, 10:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Phaelon
Master Sergeant

Not to bad, not to bad at all, a few things you should really try to change.

1). Get 1 gig of ram, it will last you much longer.
2). try to see if you can get a FX 5900 or radeon 9800, the next generation of Graphics cards are just aorund the corner, and most of them aren't even AGP, but PCI-E so getting the best graphics card you can is going to be crucial. HOWEVER if you wait a few months, when the PCI-E graphics cards come out, the 9800 and FX 5900 will go down drastically, just make sure you buy one then.
3). Any time you go over about 133 Gigabytes of hard drive space there is a problem in Windows XP. It deals with the fact that Windows XP is a 32 bit OS and that is cannot allocate more than that. THis is not a problem as far as every day operating is concerned and it will work fine for you when you get it, however if you ever re-format the computer, when you re-format it it will come up as only 136 Gigabytes. Don't worry if it does this, All you have to do is once XP is re-installed, convert the Hard Disk to a Dynamic disk. (This is just a note, so if later down the road you run across this, not to get freaked)
4). Media Center is just awkwardly crazy, if you can Stick with Windows XP Professional. It is a solid workhorse to live off of.

As far as besides Sony, I would say Dell based on the Sole fact that thier ease of use dealing with Warranties. Dell uses a system where ALL the information about a computer is stored via one code called a Service Tag. Other than that, really up to your preference. I build my own comps so if you are looking for a gaming rig from a major vendor, make sure you do your homework.
Old 2004-02-27, 11:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Deadlock
Contributor
First Lieutenant

Good advice so far, thanks... just found out i can upgrade the processor to 3.40 rather than 3.20 for 320 bucks more and to a 9800 pro vid card for 100 more and get 1g of mem ram for 90 bucks more... are any of these worth the money? (figure the ram is)
Old 2004-02-27, 11:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Sentrosi
Contributor
General

Let me spec this out for you before your purchase this PC. I will attempt to save you some serious $$. Like perhaps $500. If this appeals to you, let me know.

I build custom PC's. It's like a hobby for me. If you can wait a couple of days, I can spec out a PC that will be cheaper and better than the Vaio machine.

To the next idiot who says the PS2 Devs do not listen: See this Thread
Old 2004-02-27, 11:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
NoSurrender
Contributor
Colonel

yea sent has the time to do it. but for 2 and under you can have a 1337 PC. id buy that vaio if i needed a paper weight cuz its got a shite gfx card

Thanks to Eine for my awesome sig
Old 2004-02-28, 12:25 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

I would make a serious venture into building your own, you will find that its cheaper and they generaly runnmore stabily, and don't have alot of the extra junk(spyware and such) that the big names put on.

2k can get you a serious gaming machine man

BTW waht you have not bad, definently get the better vidcard and Ram, alos DO NOT GET a P4e or presscott, as they suck(untill they get past 3.6ghz they will then they are gona be very nice)

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
Old 2004-02-28, 12:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Deadlock
Contributor
First Lieutenant

The only problem with building my own is i aint comp savy enough to understand what the hells going on... sent if u have the patience to explain it to me then by all means, design away

As far as the graphics card goes, i gota radon 9600 pro i can put in it from this thing im running on now, aint the best but 9800's suposed to drop in price soon right?... guess my biggest issue is with the processor, so u say that p4 3.20's shit?

as far as waiting goes... i gota few months atleast, gota wait for that tax refund before i get to play
Old 2004-02-28, 12:37 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Ait'al
Contributor
General

The Number one thing to remember, INTEL!

Im sure im repeating everyone, but.. Get atleast a gig of ram. You can get a good dual 2X512 from corsair thats 2-2-2-5 for just 200$. And that will be going down soon.

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/Produc...tCode=80060-15

Anyone notice something missing.

I think Daleon go knocked off the wagon somewhere outside of Saint Louis.

Last edited by Ait'al; 2004-02-28 at 01:09 AM.
Old 2004-02-28, 01:26 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Sentrosi
Contributor
General

Ok, just went to the Sony website to look at the model more closely. Am I to understand that you want to use this as a Media type PC? (record TV shows and watch them from your monitor for example) Or are you looking more for a gaming rig? Do you already have a monitor? Are you using Dial-up or Cable/DSL for your internet connection? I have a couple of ideas in mind but I need those questions answered before I can start quoting.

As far as putting it all together, if you've ever put in a car stereo, then you can put together a PC. Same basic rules apply, such as don't try to install anything while rubbing your bare feet on a carpet. I could walk you through it or I can install everything myself (for a small labor fee that's underpriced for most other PC stores out there). It's entirely up to you.

Old 2004-02-28, 04:26 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Deadlock
Contributor
First Lieutenant

Ok, heres the thing sentrosi. I kinda want a bit of both if possible. Im an art student so all the media stuff would come in handy but i also want something to game on. however, if i had to pic one or the other id go gaming cause i gota lot of that media stuff on my mac (bout all its good for)

I have a monitor but would like to get a new one.

I run off of DSL

I appreciate u doing this, no promises but im definatly interested
Old 2004-02-28, 10:25 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
dscytherulez
Lieutenant Colonel

Ok, heres a suggestion. Since you can't build your own pc, try looking at www.polywell.com. They have very nice pc's there for much less then brand name PC's. I have a polywell and I've had no trouble at ALL with it. It's been great. It would still be cheaper to build your own(which im doing come my next machine) but Polywell can save you some $ and some hassle.
Old 2004-02-28, 10:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Fragmatic
I LIVE IN ENGLAND

Originally Posted by Ait'al
The Number one thing to remember, INTEL!
STFU

A64>P4
[Hezzy]: gg
Old 2004-02-28, 12:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

The P4c 3.2 is good(its the more common one) but the P4e is not as good as its older counterpart because it is mean to be run at higher clock speeds.

If you get a good gaming PC chances are its going to do everything else Very well.

damn Dhark that pollywell place is nice, they Have opteron Gaming PC's for 1600 bucks

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
Old 2004-02-28, 12:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Phaelon
Master Sergeant

Until there are Hardware specific 64 bit drivers from the hardware manufacturer, 64 bit does not beat the P4, furthermore a P4 EE gets better frames generally on games.

I built two computers, An AMD 64 and a Intel, I install Windows XP on both and find that i run accross problems with drivers for devices and the amd chips.

I use those same two systems, wipe them both and I build Linux systems, Redhat first and then Gentoo followed by mandrake. In all of this, I find that the Intel systems always work without fault and furthermore require no extra work to get drivers and sub-systems loaded. Gentoo and the amd64 got pissed (Chipset specific).

My main machine would burn an amd FX-51 to the ground in a heartbeat.

You buy intel for solid support and the knowledge that there will be no problems.
Amd is generally 98% problem free, but problems are still there.

I will stick with Intel.
Old 2004-02-28, 10:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Sentrosi
Contributor
General

Deadlock. Here is the computer I spec'd out for you. It will cost you $1656 not including shipping. I have provided links for you to look at just so you get a picture of what I'm talking about.

CPU: Pentium IV 2.8Ghz 800Mhz FSB $165.00 link
I went with Intel because the Intel line has about a 20% to 30% performance increase over an Athlon in regards to media encoding and such. With you wanting to use this PC as something you can do your artwork and want to watch some TV on it, this chip is perfect for you.

Heatsink/Fan for chip: Thermalright SP94 heatpipe $47.00 link
Thermalright is one of the leaders when it comes to heatsinks, and this is their latest model. This will outperform most retail fans in regards to cooling.

Motherboard: Asus P4P800 Deluxe $119.00 link

Memory: Corsair DDR 400 1GB (512Mb x 2) Dual Channel $209.00 link

Video Card: ATi Radeon 9800 All-in-Wonder 128Mb AGP 8x $333 link
This video card will do everything you want it to do and more. Stunning displays and a great chipset that will support the next generation of games coming down the pipe.

Hard Drives: (2) Seagate Barracuda 120Gb SerialATA drives $202 ($101 x 2) link

DVD Drive: Plextor 16x DVD/CD-Rom Drive ($38) link

DVD Recorder: Plextor 708A $155 link
I figured that you would probably want to record some shows onto a DVD for viewing later either at home or on another DVD player. This got some great reviews at a couple of websites I visit.

Monitor: Samsung 955DF 19� Flat Screen Monitor $199 link

Case: Antec P160 $110 link
I absolutely love this case. I am looking at getting this myself in the next couple of weeks. Offering great cooling and aesthetics, this is a great buy.

Power Supply: Vantec ION 400W Power Supply $79 link

PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum