PSU: Pope on a Rope!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum

Old 2004-03-03, 07:58 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Phaelon
Master Sergeant

Bootable Linux CD to try.

If you are feeling ambitious and want to try out Linux but don't have a spare machine to put it on, try This.

What is KNOPPIX�?
KNOPPIX is a bootable CD with a collection of GNU/Linux software, automatic hardware detection, and support for many graphics cards, sound cards, SCSI and USB devices and other peripherals. KNOPPIX can be used as a Linux demo, educational CD, rescue system, or adapted and used as a platform for commercial software product demos. It is not necessary to install anything on a hard disk. Due to on-the-fly decompression, the CD can have up to 2 GB of executable software installed on it.

Presentations and program sources
Knoppix talk, May 2003 (PDF, German) [screen presentation] [print version]
Knoppix reloaded - Remastering Knoppix, May 2003 (PDF, German) [screen presentation] [exercises]
Slides for the cloop presentation at the Chemnitzer Linux-Tagen 2002 (PDF, German)
From the Attic: First KNOPPIX paper for the Annual Linux Showcase 2000 (English) [HTML] [PDF]
Archive: slides for the presentation at the Annual Linux Showcase 2000 (PDF, English)
Slide updates for the presentations at the IFA 2001 (English) [Postscript] [PDF]
Sources for the special components of the KNOPPIX-CD

What software is installed on the KNOPPIX-CD?
The following Highlights are available in version 3.3 of this Debian-based (www.debian.org) CD:

Linux-Kernel 2.4.x
KDE V3.1 as the standard desktop with K Office and the Konqueror WWW-browser konqueror
X Multimedia System (xmms) an MPEG-video, MP3, Ogg Vorbis Audio player and xine
Internet connection software kppp,pppoeconf (DSL) and isdn-config
Gnu Image Manipulation Program (GIMP) Version 1.2
utilities for data recovery and system repairs, even for other operating systems
network and security analysis tools for network administrators
OpenOffice(TM), the GPL-developed version of the well-known StarOffice(TM) office suite
many programming languages, development tools (including kdevelop) and libraries for developers
in total more than 900 installed software packages with over 2000 executable user programs, utilities, and games

What are the minimum system requirements?

Intel-compatible CPU (i486 or later),
20 MB of RAM for text mode, at least 96 MB for graphics mode with KDE (at least 128 MB of RAM is recommended to use the various office products),
bootable CD-ROM drive, or a boot floppy and standard CD-ROM (IDE/ATAPI or SCSI),
standard SVGA-compatible graphics card,
serial or PS/2 standard mouse or IMPS/2-compatible USB-mouse.

How is KNOPPIX started?
To start the CD, set up the BIOS of your computer to boot off the CD, put the CD in the drive, and power up the computer. If your computer doesn't support this option, you have to use a boot disk. You can create this disk from the image in KNOPPIX/boot.img on the CD. With the KNOPPIX-terminalserver (available from version 3.2 and later), KNOPPIX can also be booted over the network from a computer already running the CD.

Mirrors for download. - http://www.knopper.net/knoppix-mirrors/index-en.html
Old 2004-03-03, 03:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

hehe, we tied to get knoppix to boot on a school computer once but it didn't work.

I have a disk with it someware around here

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
Old 2004-03-03, 08:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
cloudj110589
Corporal

what is the difference between Linux and windows? is it worth checking out? if it is can u give me a place where i can try it? i always wanted to try it
lol
thanks
Old 2004-03-04, 02:17 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Fragmatic
I LIVE IN ENGLAND

Originally Posted by cloudj110589
what is the difference between Linux and windows? is it worth checking out? if it is can u give me a place where i can try it? i always wanted to try it
lol
thanks
You're gonna get pwned by linux!

And change your sig, 100gb ain't that big nowadays :P
[Hezzy]: gg
Old 2004-03-04, 07:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Phaelon
Master Sergeant

Linux is rough, it has a difficult learning curve when it comes to using it on a first time basis.

There are huge amounts of differences between Linux and Windows, and far to many to state here. They both operate very differently, have different file systems, handle permissions in a radically different way.

Knoppix is fun for someone who doesn't have a second computer to try it on, but if you have a spare computer download Fedora or Mandrake and try those, using either the KDE or Gnome desktop.

Installing is not that difficult, it is just like windows, insert the cd, set a few things, and it boots.

I personally use Red Hat Enterprise server from the command line, but that is how I was introduced to it. Typing a command is so much quicker then working through bulky graphical interfaces, but that is just me.
Old 2004-03-04, 02:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Ait'al
Contributor
General

What version is most like the one that existed back in the dos days?
Old 2004-03-04, 03:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Phaelon
Master Sergeant

Difficult to say, back in the days of DOS, Linux didn't exist so much as UNIX did. UNIX and Netware were huge during the days of DOS. Linux was an infant at that time.

UNIX is bizarre, I have used HP and SUN UNIX and it is just crazy, stick with Linux, it is a much better OS.
Old 2004-03-04, 03:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Fragmatic
I LIVE IN ENGLAND

Any, just run it without KDE/GNOME/Whatever you use
[Hezzy]: gg
Old 2004-03-04, 04:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
VashTheStamped
Major

Misc Info

Originally Posted by Fragmatic
You're gonna get pwned by linux!

And change your sig, 100gb ain't that big nowadays :P
ya i have 200
Old 2004-03-04, 04:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Ait'al
Contributor
General

hows 500? How long should that last me?
Old 2004-03-04, 04:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

There are no 500gb drives sorry

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
Old 2004-03-04, 04:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Cyanide
Major

Originally Posted by cloudj110589
lol
thanks
This is an incredibly over-simlpified description of their differences:

Windows:
Good for gamming
XP is reasonably stable but not as stable as Linux
Has WAY more vulnerabilities than Linux
Extremely user friendly (how people get confused by windows is something I will never understand)

Linux:
Most games do not support linux. More games are starting too, and you can usually find a windows emulator that will allow you to run your windows game on Linux.
Linux almost never crashes.
Linux is very secure. The vast majority of viruses and other attacks don't affect Linux.
Linux is getting more user friendly all the time, but it's still not as easy to use as Windows. If you do have a problem with something, Linux has a HUGE amount of documentation on everything from the command line to changing your wall paper, and it's all built into the software.
Linux can be a little harder to install than windows, depending on the distro.

You can get all the major versions (distrobutions) of linux at www.linuxiso.org.

I suggest that you try linux on a seperate computer. Or you can get Knoppix which as said above, runs from the CD.

You guys should check this out http://www.menuetos.org/index.htm. Menuet OS is a complete operating system written entirely in x86 Assembly language. It has a 32-bit windowing UI. It comes with a built in shoutcast, and web server. Reads Fat32 partitions. Has an MP3 player, supports wave files, and comes with a bunch of other programs. Best of all, the whole thing fits on a single 1.44mb floppy disk. This is the ultimate hacker's OS. If you get plastic floppies you can even sneak it past metal detectors (can't do that with a CD).

Last edited by Cyanide; 2004-03-04 at 04:28 PM.
Old 2004-03-04, 04:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Ait'al
Contributor
General

A raid you nipple clamp.
Old 2004-03-04, 04:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
VashTheStamped
Major

Misc Info

Originally Posted by Rbstr
There are no 500gb drives sorry
Old 2004-03-04, 04:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Ait'al
Contributor
General

IM lost BUt how long will 500gbytes storage last someone.

Nobody said anything about individual drives.
  PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum