Is Lasher A Spam Weapon? - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Rated P for PIE
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

View Poll Results: Should Lasher Lash Friendlies?
Yes, It Should Lash Friendlies as Splash Damage. 46 57.50%
No, It Should Not Cause Damage To Friendlies. 34 42.50%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2004-03-09, 07:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
SuperBallz
Corporal

Is Lasher A Spam Weapon?

Thumper + Spam + Friendly Fire = Grief

Rocklet Rifle + Spam + Friendly Fire = Grief

Reaver + Spam + Friendly Fire = Grief

Flail + Spam + Friendly Fire = Grief

Burster Max + Spam + Friendly Fire = Grief

SkyGuard + Spam + Friendly Fire = Grief

BUT

Lasher + Spam + Friendly Fire = NO Grief

What Is Up With This?

I Think That Lasher Should Cause Grief!
All other Weapons Do With Their Splash Damage.
And Since It Lashes Backwards The Shooter Would Get Hurt , Well At Least Till They Fix It. :P

It Is Not Fair For Their Weapon, To Be Bias With Its Lash, Other Weapons Hurt Friendlies Lashers Should Too.
Old 2004-03-09, 07:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Angel_of_Death
Second Lieutenant

True, all other weapons cause grief with their spalsh damage...

Which is why Lasher's do lash damage.
Old 2004-03-09, 07:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Dharkbayne
Lieutenant General

A. Your sig is extrememly annoying, contrary to popular belief, most people will read it even if it DOESN'T have giant red letters.

B. There's a difference between lasher AOE and thumper/pounder ect. AOE, lasher hits EVERYTHING on the way to the destination, while the others only have splash damage at the destination. If lasher lashed friendlies, it would all the friendlies on the way TO the target, including people standing next to you.

Example

O = friendlies S= shooter X = Target ~= shot
O O O O O O O
S~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~X
O O O O

It would have hit ALL of them, where as a direct damage (rifle) weapon wouldn't have, and a AOE (Explosive) weapon would not have hit any of them either.
Trust me, the lasher hit friendlies in beta, and it was a grief MACHINE.

Remember : The lasher orbs still do damage.

+200 Cool Pts
Old 2004-03-09, 07:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
SuperBallz
Corporal

But Why Does The Lasher Get To Pick Who It Hurt And Who It Doesn't?

Just Doesn't Seem Right.
Old 2004-03-09, 07:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Onizuka-GTO
Lieutenant Colonel

It got IFF!! Its an advance weapon! its purple and VANU

I love you, You love me, Lets go kill those dammn NC's With their jackhammer shotguns, And their Phoenix Missiles too, and make them wish they were barney's too.
Old 2004-03-09, 08:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Seer
Major

Superballz, the lasher used to lash friendlies way back when. It made it impossible to use. Imagine if, everytime you fired the rocklet, every friendly around you exploded regardless of the destination?
Old 2004-03-09, 08:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Onizuka-GTO
Lieutenant Colonel

hey, that'll be funny....they should make something like that....

I love you, You love me, Lets go kill those dammn NC's With their jackhammer shotguns, And their Phoenix Missiles too, and make them wish they were barney's too.
Old 2004-03-09, 08:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Pogostickx
Private

leave the lasher alone geezs (it's about time the lasher is actually good for once :-/ )...the flail TKing is the problem! make it so that it won't hurt the same empire as the shooter.
Old 2004-03-09, 08:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Angel_of_Death
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by SuperBallz
But Why Does The Lasher Get To Pick Who It Hurt And Who It Doesn't?

Just Doesn't Seem Right.
Every gun (person rather) picks who it hurts and who it doesn't. Lash damage to all friendlies on route to the orb's destination would cause insane grief.

But no, maybe you're right. The Lasher should randomly damage friendlies and/or enemies. That does seem right.

Originally Posted by Pogostickx
leave the lasher alone geezs (it's about time the lasher is actually good for once :-/ )...the flail TKing is the problem! make it so that it won't hurt the same empire as the shooter.
The Lasher was amazing at one point, and even before this latest patch has been good for what it is used for, and that's indoor fighting. Make the Flail cause more grief, if anything....there's too many and it's too cheap as it is.
Old 2004-03-09, 08:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
SilverLord
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by Pogostickx
leave the lasher alone geezs (it's about time the lasher is actually good for once :-/ )
The lasher has always been a really good weapon. You just never see anyone using it effectively as the VS are now. It is bugged, and that of course is NOT fine. I would like the bug fixed and i sure do know everyone else does that has to fight the VS and can't get close to the guy because he is an invulnerable sphere of damage.

Old 2004-03-09, 09:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
JakeLogan
Major

Well what if it did random lash damage to a friendly like 1 out of 10

using Dhark's Example except "L" means lashed friendly
O O O O L
S~~~~~~~~~~~~~X
O O O O O
I know it sounds stupid but in the end it might make the spammer n00bs watch their fire.
Old 2004-03-09, 09:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
SilverLord
Lieutenant Colonel

Just fix the bugs and leave it how it was.

Old 2004-03-09, 09:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Krinsath
Sergeant Major

Again, for those wondering why the Lasher doesn't damage friendlies, your PS reasoning:

The armors of the three empires are made of different materials, but due to the technology of Vanu manufacturing (the race, not the empire) the suits are an identical composition across the empire (i.e. - every NC Rexo suit has the same materials in it as every other NC Rexo, and the materials are the same as what's in Agile and Standard and MAXes, just in varying amounts).

The Lasher's handgrip analyzes the materials present in the armor holding it and picks up it's residual charge. The orbs fired from the Lasher have an electrical signature that matches that armor. As a result, when the orb passes an armor of the same composition, the electrical charge is a relative neutral, meaning no path for the energy is formed. When it passes by a DIFFERENT armor composition (i.e. - an enemy), the difference causes a field imbalance and energy arcs from the orb into the enemy's armor, an effect commonly referred to as the "lash". Ancient Technology weapons exhibit similar characteristics (see cross-file: Maelstrom). This is also why you are lashed, then hit, as the circuit is made before the orb actually makes contact.

There is your PS reasoning on why the Lasher doesn't hurt friendlies.

Onto gameplay terms, the Lasher is, and always has been, a suppression weapon. It's SUPPOSED to be "spammed". The machine gun is a horribly inaccurate weapon, but if you put enough lead in an area, something will be hit. The Lasher was never designed to be a pinpoint weapon, you need look no farther than projectile speed. Sure, it's faster, but still MUCH slower than a bullet.

The Lasher has bugs, they have been adjusted in the patch currently being tested. There was ONE, and only ONE, change to the amount of damage that the Lasher could inflict, and that was the lash within 5m. That has been put back, every other change had to do with ammo consumption and clip size and reload speed. While they affect TTK, they do not affect damage per shot. If I missed another damage buff somewhere, someone please refer me to the patch notes.

Everything else about the Lasher is the same as it was when it was the lame duck of the HA world.
Old 2004-03-09, 10:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
00AgentDuck
Sergeant Major

Very nicely put Krinsath. I like your explaination for lashes not hurting friendlies and I agree with you. And even if a weapon is a spam weapon, it still takes talent and skill in useing. The lasher does have it's strageties along with all other weapons. Also in some cases pinpoint is better then spamming, in others spamming is needed, and sometimes it takes a mix or middle of the two.
Old 2004-03-09, 10:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Kaymon
Master Sergeant

Krinsath - SmokeJumper would be impressed.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion