Driving Physics - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Is an outfit..like something I wear?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2004-03-19, 03:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
oddfish
Colonel

Driving Physics

Well, PSU community. I have a proposal.

Now, i am prepared for any flaming that you feel is necessary, and i feel some will probably be necessary due to my comparison, but just hear me out.

I was playing Grand Theft Auto: Vice City today and i was thoroughly enjoying the physics of momentum and acceleration and what not that you really don't experience in PS.

My proposition is this: the devs need to implement more realistic vehicle physics. I think it would add to the excitement, realistic feel, aesthetics, and fun of the game. Light, fast vehicles swerving in tight, high-speed turns, and peel outs, and perhaps even gears and what not to make driving a bit more than just pressing the auto-drive button and moving your mouse around. Also, heavy wheeled vehicles would take MUCH longer to stop when the breaks are put on, and tanks should have perhaps dual track control to have a zero degree tunring radius like tanks in real life. I don't know how the controls would be laid out for this, but it would make the game exTREMEly fun, i think.

Also, a more realistic damage modifier, where if you hit a tank in the ass with a rocket it's gonna do more damage than hitting it head on witha rocket. Hitting a vehicle's engine area would do more damage as well. and the most would be if you could somehow hit underneath. Plus, immobilization of vehicles. Knock out a tank's tracks and it's now a stationary gun that's also a Deci-magnet. Hit a Del's tires and it becomes immobile or wildy uncontrollable.. I dunno, this shit may be waaaaaaaaaaaaaay to complex for the code and engine as it is, but if the devs could ever find a way then i think this would add a lot more excitement to the game.

It just seemed to me that the vehicles and vehicle combat are a little one-dimensional.

My Blog
[20:19] <Phobos> oddfish: Glad to see you, now help me move this dead body.
Old 2004-03-19, 03:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
JakeLogan
Major

I like every idea in the first paragraph and nothing in the second. It would just be to much for the servers to handle. The hit boxes are like this so to reduce lag thats why if a sniper shoots someone in the head it isn't a 1 shot kill.
Old 2004-03-19, 03:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
oddfish
Colonel

i agree. disregard second paragraph please.. it was kind of whimsical.. Too much Vice City for one afternoon.

I suppose it's cuz i'm finished with finals and i'm just waiting to go home. I'm getting wild ideas!

My Blog
Old 2004-03-19, 03:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
OfaLoaf
Colonel

GTA-esque? Sounds fun... while you're at it, why not make sniping possible through the windsheild if there is one...

More vehicle fun wouldn't be that hard, but the second paragraph is whimsical and the devs most likely wouldn't do it...
Old 2004-03-19, 03:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
oddfish
Colonel

NO, please don't use GTA as an Example.. it makes me feel like a n00b to use that game as a comparison. i'm just saying, use actual driving physics.. playing the game prompted the idea, i'm not using it as a comparison. if it get's established that i'm using GTA as a comparison then i'll get flamed and ridiculed as a n00b for centuries to come.

GTA just sparked the ideas. real vehicle physics. yes. okay, continue posting.

My Blog
Old 2004-03-19, 03:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
ChewyLSB
Major

Misc Info

Yeah I definately liked all of the turning ideas, especially about the dual-track control on tanks ... I never thought about that.
Old 2004-03-19, 04:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Eldanesh
Sergeant Major

Also, a more realistic damage modifier, where if you hit a tank in the ass with a rocket it's gonna do more damage than hitting it head on witha rocket. Hitting a vehicle's engine area would do more damage as well. and the most would be if you could somehow hit underneath. Plus, immobilization of vehicles. Knock out a tank's tracks and it's now a stationary gun that's also a Deci-magnet. Hit a Del's tires and it becomes immobile or wildy uncontrollable.. I dunno, this shit may be waaaaaaaaaaaaaay to complex for the code and engine as it is, but if the devs could ever find a way then i think this would add a lot more excitement to the game.
*fired deci at right arc of tank*

*hull down*

*roll 2 D6*

*glancing hit*

*roll 1D6*

*Yay! imobilized!*

IMO it really should not be possible for one infantryman to just get off a lucky shot and do that much appreciable damage to a tank, also I like my fps.

As is it is a pain in the ass driving around Joe Mc'Jammers, I dont care if there is a 1:10000000 chance that if he thows that frag grenade he might bounce a piece of shrapnel that might stub my gunner's big toe.
Old 2004-03-19, 04:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Happy lil Elf
Contributor
Colonel

The Lightning needs it's acceleration boosted back up to somewhat decent. I contantly feel like I'm trying to get out of a patch of superglue in that thing.

The Prowler needs a slight speed increase but more than that they need to change some of the fundamentals of this tank.

All the tanks should notice very little slowdown on hills. A tank climbing a 30 degree incline shouldn't lose 70% of it's speed.

The Harrasser needs to handle less like a pregnant whale.

Its eating it's food. (Incorrect use of apostrophes specifically for UV)
"Oni wont get banned, unless you get banned. Its a 2 man ticket."-Hamma to TekDragon re: his request to ban Oni. Life is good.
Old 2004-03-19, 07:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Vehicle Physics Buff gets an Uber vote and Global =/ from me...

Also I would like to add that I think that since the game can make a vehicle disabled, that it should take a certain amount of damage (in one shot) to fully destroy it...

What I mean is it should take a rocket or missile of some kind to finish off a tank...

Sure let the Mosquito ping it down to almost nothing, but not destroy it...

It sux to have a gunfight and actually think that Enforcer could be cover then have it blow up in your face (by a Beamer no less)...

Sry fer the ramblin...

Old 2004-03-19, 07:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Diddy Mao
Second Lieutenant

I want my Deliverer catch'n major Air once more!
You last visited: 03-18-2005 at 01:50 PM - lol time flies
Old 2004-03-19, 07:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Dharkbayne
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Sobekeus
Vehicle Physics Buff gets an Uber vote and Global =/ from me...

Also I would like to add that I think that since the game can make a vehicle disabled, that it should take a certain amount of damage (in one shot) to fully destroy it...

What I mean is it should take a rocket or missile of some kind to finish off a tank...

Sure let the Mosquito ping it down to almost nothing, but not destroy it...

It sux to have a gunfight and actually think that Enforcer could be cover then have it blow up in your face (by a Beamer no less)...

Sry fer the ramblin...
Indeed.

+200 Cool Pts
Old 2004-03-20, 12:06 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Cryptica
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Happy lil' Elf
The Harrasser needs to handle less like a pregnant whale.
Amen, brother. The harasser I think is pretty much useless. It needs SOMETHING buffed.
Old 2004-03-20, 06:52 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
Lartnev
Contributor
Brigadier General

Perhaps this could be a post BR20 feature, like the added aircraft maneuverability?

As for turning on the spot like real tanks, I'm pretty sure they do. I know the Lightning does and am pretty sure the MBTs do too.
Old 2004-03-20, 11:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
Cauldron Borne
Captain

Tanks, while stopped will do 0* turns. If your accelerated, they make slightly wider turns. Wheeled Vehicled require forward momentum to turn. This is why a buddy of mine and I use Magriders as turrets in a contested base- just drive to a gate, stop and that nose gun is now a swivle turrret w/ 100* Vertical arc, and 360* horizontal arc, plus the ability to dodge deci shots (yer still the driver, remember, you just have access to a wicked sick gun.)

SPAM SONG! (Yes, it DOES exist kiddies.)
Old 2004-03-21, 02:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
Sentrosi
Contributor
General

Originally Posted by Diddy Mao
I want my Deliverer catch'n major Air once more!
Yeah, I <3 the Beta physics engine. Just after going retail they curtailed it down a bit. But I remember getting mad air with my Harasser. Much fun. A whole lotta "YEEEEE HAWWWWWWW"'s came out over TS. Now it's little more than a speed bump. *yawn*

To the next idiot who says the PS2 Devs do not listen: See this Thread
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion