Jaged's Guide to ATV - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Please stop rejecting me. It hurts.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2004-04-15, 05:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Jaged
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Jaged's Guide to ATV

I have heard countless people complain about how useless the ATV cert is. For someone reason, no one takes the time to really look at this cert for what it is worth. People complain that the armor is too low and the guns are too weak. While these arguments do have truth, ATV is far from useless.

First lets look at the Basilisk. The primary use of the Bassy is to take a Rexo grunt from point A to point B. Assuming you know how to avoid mines, this vehicle does an excellent job of that. It is the fastest land vehicle and the fastest vehicle in the game that carry Rexo. The secondary use for the bassy is in combat. Yes, the basilisk can be a potent weapon if used correctly. This is not a smash and grab job like vanguard driving. Using a bassy in combat takes other skills. First, don't run head first into combat expecting to last more then 10 seconds. Park yourself on the edge of a battle. Use the accuracy of its cannons to your advantage. You would be surprised how fast those suckers can tear through Rexo at range. If anyone decides to come after you, use your speed to your advantage and get out of there. You can survive almost all counter attacks that way. You may think that sitting still in a Bassy like that makes you deci bait. However, if you are far enough away from the battle you should be able to see the rocket coming and get out of the way. Most people don't consider your Bassy a threat and will leave you alone in pursuit of more immediate targets.

Now lets look at the Wraith. Obviously you should only use the Wraith if you are a cloaker. While the Wraith lacks the guns of the Bassy, it allows you to become very hard to see. You will not become invisible unless stopped. It is important that you realize this. The key to using the Wraith is to drive at 1-3% speed in any situation where you might be seen. This allows you to move as fast or faster then you would be able to while running while maintaining the visibility of a crouch walk. I am tired of n00bs blasting through a battle on a wraith at full speed and complaining that they only last seconds.

As for the switchblade, don't use it. If you have found a way to use it that you please tell me because it seems useless to me. The Bassy out preforms it in both speed and firepower.

Obviously, with any ATV you must learn to avoid mines. They will take you out in one hit even if you have a full shield. This is annoying at first, but it doesn't take long to get used to.

I hope this guide clears up any ideas that ATV is useless. If properly implemented, Bassys can be a potent force on the battlefield. A Wraith is the fastest and quietist way for a cloaker to insert himself into enemy territory. Together, for only 2 cert points, this is a steal.
Old 2004-04-15, 05:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
GreyFox
First Sergeant

And in the future you will have the Fury too. A bassy with rockets.
Old 2004-04-15, 05:53 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
flypengy
Master Sergeant

Harasser > atv.

Carries 2 people, and both can have rexo.

More armor.

Only draw back is 3 certs instead of 2, but you do get lightning.

Wraith was my very first cert when I started playing though lol
Old 2004-04-15, 06:59 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
ChewyLSB
Major

Misc Info

How can you say the Basilisk cannons are accurate? Since they are dual mounted, only every other bullet will hit. I have the ATV cert on one of my characters, and I ONLY use it to get my character from A to B, if I see an enemy, I'd much rather get off and shoot him rather then rely on the craptastic guns. Also, I notice that I have NEVER been able to run someone over in the lisk.
Old 2004-04-15, 09:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
drsomewhere
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by ChewyLSB
How can you say the Basilisk cannons are accurate? Since they are dual mounted, only every other bullet will hit. I have the ATV cert on one of my characters, and I ONLY use it to get my character from A to B, if I see an enemy, I'd much rather get off and shoot him rather then rely on the craptastic guns. Also, I notice that I have NEVER been able to run someone over in the lisk.
First off, try using every single TR max or reaver 20 mm and the n complain about dual weapons. Next, the main purpose of the basilisk is not to mow people down, and your an idiot for trying. Instead of ATV, take the sacrifice and use agile and a mosquito. The mosquito is best from moving from A to B, has better accuracy, and most skilled agile armor uers with a shotgun can take on a rexo.

= Crack addict
Old 2004-04-15, 09:43 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
SuperSixOne
Private

nothing mows better than an AMS .... i know
Old 2004-04-15, 09:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
SilverLord
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by SuperSixOne
nothing mows better than an AMS .... i know
I hate you.

Old 2004-04-15, 10:00 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
ChewyLSB
Major

Misc Info

I know that all dual weapons are bad. Never did I say that the Prowler 12mm's were accurate, or TR MAX's were accurate. All that I was saying was the basilisk is like all other dual mounted weapons in the fact that it is inaccurate.
Old 2004-04-15, 10:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Napsterr
Private

Im one of those people that love the ATV cert one day and hate it the next. Being a cloaker and having the wraith makes things much easier when your going around hacking towers, but Ive never been a big fan of the lisk since I dont have rexo and mainly do cloaking missions to put my adv hacking skills to use. I do believe that the ATV cert is a very useful cert and I think its a great deal for the 2 point price. I just think its one of those certs thats cool every now and then to have,, not all the time.
Old 2004-04-15, 10:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
SilverLord
Lieutenant Colonel

Hey Napsterr, it's Silver.

Back on topic: I have never had the ATV cert but I do think the Switchblade is a very good vhel, it's a mobile turret and puts a hurtin on many things. It's also very quick, I think like 80 kph.

Old 2004-04-15, 10:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Brigadier General

Misc Info

I just wanted to point out that the Wraith is the switchblade (or Wraith) is the fastest land vehicle then it's the Wraith (or switchblade) and then the basilisk. But I agree that the ATV cert can be very good for transport.
I also think that the Wraith is better then than the Basilisk becuase of the speed and I don't know about you but, I suck with the basilisk gun so even if I'm in a basilisk I'll just get off to fight if I see anyone.
And you can always run people over in a Wraith .
Old 2004-04-15, 12:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
TheN00b
Colonel

Good post, Jaged. One thing, though: I personally think that the Switchblade can be pretty good. First, never, under any cirumstances, deploy; you'll become Deci fodder before you can say, "Screw me!". Instead, try strafing back and forth in heavy combat areas, and look for Agiles to shoot.
Old 2004-04-15, 01:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Vick
Second Lieutenant

A guy in my outfit is a switchblade pro, he deploys it inside bases like an extra turret, it mows down infantry really well.
Old 2004-04-15, 01:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
MrPaul
Major

Also: switchblades can cross water. Can the basilisk or wraith? I think nay...
Old 2004-04-15, 01:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Jaged
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Well, if you like the switchblade then by all means use it. Just don't look to my guide for advice.

And about the Bassy's guns. When "sniping" with them Like I mentioned in my guide, only try to hit with one of the two cannons. It dosen't do as much dammage as it would if you could hit with both, but it is alot more accurate. For all the people who think that using a bassy in long range combat is stupid, I urge that you try it. You will be supprised.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion