Newbie question about characters - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: I'm sorry, did I break your concentration?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2004-05-13, 02:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Ghirlracer
Private

Newbie question about characters

Hi all,

Haven't seen many questions round here, so I hope this is the right place to ask - I know there's the official forums, but my boyfriend tells me this place is way better, so here I am

Basically, I'm wondering if it's possible to transfer a character from one account to another one? No, I'm not one of those sad cases who wants to get good quickly by buying a character or anything - my situation's a little more complicated than that. Basically my boyfriend plays PS a lot, and having watched him, I've got interested and decided to have a go myself. Sadly my crappy computer barely meets the minimum specs (doesn't meet the hard drive space requirement, unless I delete a few programs), so I've just set up a character on Mike's computer/account instead.

I'm hoping to get a new PC in the next few months, though, and when that happens, if I like PS enough I'll buy my own copy of the game and start to play it properly. So, what I'm wondering is, when I do that, is there any way I can retrieve my character from Mike's account? Or will I just have to start again from scratch? It's not too big a problem if I have to start all over again; just means I won't make too much effort to build up a good character in the meantime if I'll end up back at square one, so I'd like to know before I get into playing the game too much.

Thanks in advance!
Old 2004-05-13, 03:08 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Seer
Major

There isn't a mechanism in PS for transferring characters. However, Planetside characters are rather easy to level and very powerful even at level one--be thankful your BF doesn't play Everquest.
Old 2004-05-13, 03:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Jaged
Contributor
Lieutenant General

What you could do is buy PS now and start leveling up your character on your own account. That way, when you get a new computer at your house, you will be able to log on to your account and use your character. Characters can change computers but not account.
Old 2004-05-13, 03:47 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Ghirlracer
Private

Is it possible to have more than one account per computer, then? I hadn't thought of that... now I think of it I did notice account details when it's starting up (usually I only play after my bf's already started it, so haven't looked in any detail) Thanks for the tip - I'll probably go with that one
Old 2004-05-13, 03:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Jaged
Contributor
Lieutenant General

I know for a fact that you can log into any planetside account from any computer. I belive that there is a limit of one account per serial #. I could be wrong though. Try going over to your bf's house and clicking create new account on the launch manager screen. If that dosen't work you will need to buy your own copy.
Old 2004-05-13, 04:10 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Ghirlracer
Private

Aha! Just tried it and it logs into my station.com account alright (well, it tells me I don't have a Planetside subscription, but I guess that's easy enough to solve ). Thanks for that!
Old 2004-05-13, 04:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Jaged
Contributor
Lieutenant General

So your sleeping at your bf's house?

Lol, anyway...
So you can makke two accounts on the same computer with the same copy of the game installed? Awsome, I diddn't acualy expect that to work.
Old 2004-05-13, 04:19 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Ghirlracer
Private

Nope, we live together Not so sure about the two accounts thing now, actually... was just looking through the help stuff on the official site, and it seems that although it recognises my station.com account, I'll need the account key from the CD... which of course has already been used. Ah well, it was worth trying, anyway - thanks for the suggestion!
Old 2004-05-13, 04:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Jaged
Contributor
Lieutenant General

But if you live with him, then why does it matter how powerful the comp at your place is? Just use his.
Old 2004-05-13, 04:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Ghirlracer
Private

Simple - we can't both use the same computer at the same time, so only one of us could play at a time. Once I get a new computer we can both play PS at once (we've got a LAN connection to the internet, so we can play other games together already)
Old 2004-05-13, 04:47 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Lartnev
Contributor
Brigadier General

If you want to play together you'll need seperate accounts
Old 2004-05-13, 04:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Ghirlracer
Private

Thats's the plan, once I can replace my current PC. Hence my question as to whether I can rescue my character from my bf's account when that finally happens (obviously we can't play together until then) - looks like I'll just have to start over, but it was worth trying, anyway.

Thanks for the replies, everyone
Old 2004-05-13, 10:02 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
Firefly
Contributor
Major General

Your character is on his account? No way you're getting that onto your own account.

Your character is on your log-in on his PC, you don't need to "rescue" it. You've got at least 90 days before they vape the account.
Old 2004-05-13, 10:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
Acaila
First Lieutenant

Characters are not transferable. They are bound to the account as it is actually a violation of the EULA for more than 1 person to use an account.

I don't think I can associate with someone who violates the PlanetSide EULA, I mean, that's low.

Btw, don't tell the RIAA I was here.
Old 2004-05-13, 10:42 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
Ivan
Contributor
teh Sexb0t

Originally Posted by Acaila
Characters are not transferable. They are bound to the account as it is actually a violation of the EULA for more than 1 person to use an account.

I don't think I can associate with someone who violates the PlanetSide EULA, I mean, that's low.

Btw, don't tell the RIAA I was here.
/me calls the RIAA!
Violated by ChiaHamma
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion