Is it worth it? - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Were Hamma sees all...
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2004-05-17, 11:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Killer Guerilla
Private

Is it worth it?

I'm thinking very seriously about getting into planetside, but as I've never played a subscription game before I'm doing a bit of research first.
As an Aussie, will the game lag too much to be playable? (I am on ADSL however)
Are there people online all the time, or are there dead periods? (If so, about what time do things go quiet?)
Is it worth the money? (I figure I'll play it a couple of hours a day on average)
Should I enjoy it as someone who is a FPS fan and played both Tribes games religiously?

Cheers,
Killer Guerilla
Old 2004-05-18, 12:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Ivan
Contributor
teh Sexb0t

I believe there is a fellow Aussie PSU member that still plays. Though I can't remember who it is. I wouldn't think it would lag much. There are slow periods but that depends on what server you're on and what time zone most of the poeple on that server is from. I would say but it. I've played it since beta.
Violated by ChiaHamma
Old 2004-05-18, 01:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
MadCat360
Corporal

I'de say that overall this is a very special game. However there are some things about it that are just minor anoyances (Like lag, you'll get lots of it no matter where you are) As for dead times, there arent any. Sometimes around early morning for the server (like the US west server is a bit inactive around 3-8 Am PST) it gets a bit under-populated for PlanetSide. But there are stull hundreds of people on at that time (You just wont see four huge battles at the same time, more like two.) As for value, I think it more reasonable to pay $10 a month for this game, but $13 is acceptable. And if you love Tribes, you'll love PlanetSide. (Not anywhere near as much heart-pumping action though) To tell you the truth, I'm not subscribed right now, but I'm going to soon. I just took a break (I had to, I liked it so much I played it non-stop, and I got to much of it) This is a truely great game that is worth $13 a month to me.
Old 2004-05-18, 02:05 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Jaged
Contributor
Lieutenant General

How fast is your computer? That is really what decides lag. On my newer gaming rig I can play planetside with literaly no lag. That computer is:
2.8GHz
512 ram
Turtle beach sound card
can't remember video cand exactly, but its pretty powerful.
Old 2004-05-18, 04:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Killer Guerilla
Private

1.4GHz Athlon
Brand X Soundcard
256MB RAM
GeForce 2 (Used to be good, these days it struggles)
Old 2004-05-18, 07:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Cryptica
First Sergeant

I think it's time you upgrade your PC, man. 1.4 will probably run it well enough, however 256 megs of ram is NOT enough. 512 minimum. And if I can remember correctly, the geforce 2 is a 32-bit card, right? I'd definitately upgrade that to at least one of the 64's, but 128 is much preferable.
Old 2004-05-18, 09:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
SilverLord
Lieutenant Colonel

I need to upgrade mine too. I get paid for the first time from my first job next tuesday!

Old 2004-05-18, 10:10 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
MadCat360
Corporal

PlanetSide is the reason I upgraded. I had a Gforce 4 FX and I upgraded to this ATI Raideon 9600. I also had 512 meg but I added another 512 so I have a gig.
Old 2004-05-18, 10:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Wraithlord
Second Lieutenant

madcat I found out why I am so hostile towards you, you are a space marine fan

f'ker

+++++DATE: - Jungfrost polar base (Bernheart), 128.M41
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion