Lightbulb Collector

My new computer

It's in parts right now.

ASUS K8N-E motherboard (800 MhZ bus)
Athlon 64 (3 GhZ)
ATi Radeon 9800 Pro
1 GB Corsair RAM
80 GB Western Digital HD

My existing system is using the RAM, the hard drive, and the video card. It's by no means obsolete (1.7 GhZ), and I wouldn't have bought it. My dad bought it more or less on impulse because he is sick of the long-term problems my existing SOYO motherboard is giving us.

Additional parts from my existing computer that will be used in the new one:

NEC MultiSync LCD 1760v (Flatscreen monitor: The only one that doesn't ghost in games. Seriously.)
Saitek X45 joystick/throttle (A hell of a lot of buttons, including TWO triggers. TWO!)
Wierd trayless CD/DVD drive
Generic Floppy Drive
Enermax power supply (Total power: 350W)

It's going to crush the shit out of everything you could possibly own. GG
The gun katas. Through analysis of thousands of recorded gunfights, the Cleric has determined that the geometric distribution of antagonists in any gun battle is a statistically predictable element. The gun kata treats the gun as a total weapon, each fluid position representing a maximum kill zone, inflicting maximum damage on the maximum number of opponents while keeping the defender clear of the statistically traditional trajectories of return fire. By the rote mastery of this art, your firing efficiency will rise by no less than 120%. The difference of a 63% increase to lethal proficiency makes the master of the gun katas an adversary not to be taken lightly.
Old 2004-08-06, 10:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Infernus
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by AztecWarrior
It's in parts right now.

ASUS K8N-E motherboard (800 MhZ bus)
Athlon 64 (3 GhZ)
ATi Radeon 9800 Pro
1 GB Corsair RAM
80 GB Western Digital HD

My existing system is using the RAM, the hard drive, and the video card. It's by no means obsolete (1.7 GhZ), and I wouldn't have bought it. My dad bought it more or less on impulse because he is sick of the long-term problems my existing SOYO motherboard is giving us.

Additional parts from my existing computer that will be used in the new one:

NEC MultiSync LCD 1760v (Flatscreen monitor: The only one that doesn't ghost in games. Seriously.)
Saitek X45 joystick/throttle (A hell of a lot of buttons, including TWO triggers. TWO!)
Wierd trayless CD/DVD drive
Generic Floppy Drive
Enermax power supply (Total power: 350W)

It's going to crush the shit out of everything you could possibly own. GG
/me flaunts his new system- I win
Old 2004-08-07, 04:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
sandiman
Private

Hey Aztec m8,

Nice sytemn shame ur moniter is Flat, ow and that PSU is small u wont be able to run any cathodes!

Ow and if ur interested Lvl 2 (FL mod) has now moved totaly to hobbes and samurai & im wokrin with them on Version 2.0 which will be out soon, come bak and play wiv us m8 itl be fun!
Old 2004-08-07, 04:28 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Corrosion

Misc Info

Hey Aztec, can you post the specs of the power supply? (the sticker on the side, mainly the +/-12@)

This is VERY important when building a Athlon 64.
Old 2004-08-07, 07:00 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
MattxMosh
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by AztecWarrior
Athlon 64 (3 GhZ)
Not bad, but Im do you mean 3000+?
Old 2004-08-07, 10:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Disconnecting
First Sergeant

My mac is better...

But at least you can run hl2 when it come out and doom 3 on high setting. Enjoy
Old 2004-08-07, 06:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
AztecWarrior
Lightbulb Collector

1. Your Mac is not better, it's a result of common sense being pushed out by having to memorize 666,666 key combinations to press in case of emergency (i.e. Clover leaf-Period-6-6-6-6 fixes all errors, but damns you to Hell for eternity)

(The Apple I's starting cost was $666 USD. I swear.)

2. I'm running the new machine, and it's a BEAST. It may not be 3 GhZ though...my dad says that it's rated at two, but it's really faster. (I can attest to that, this thing does NOT run like a 2 GhZ.)
The gun katas. Through analysis of thousands of recorded gunfights, the Cleric has determined that the geometric distribution of antagonists in any gun battle is a statistically predictable element. The gun kata treats the gun as a total weapon, each fluid position representing a maximum kill zone, inflicting maximum damage on the maximum number of opponents while keeping the defender clear of the statistically traditional trajectories of return fire. By the rote mastery of this art, your firing efficiency will rise by no less than 120%. The difference of a 63% increase to lethal proficiency makes the master of the gun katas an adversary not to be taken lightly.
Old 2004-08-07, 09:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Corrosion

Misc Info

Gdamn it Aztec, answer my question.
Old 2004-08-07, 09:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
AztecWarrior
Lightbulb Collector

Total power: 350W
+12= 17
-12= 1
Old 2004-08-07, 10:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Corrosion

Misc Info

17 is MERELY ok, anything higher than 18 is good.

If you change for a better PSU, you might get much better performance because your CPU will get more juice.

I'm running +12@42 on an AMD 64 3200+
Old 2004-08-08, 04:19 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
MattxMosh
Contributor
Major

17 is fine, so long as you dont put too much on it, but if you plan on adding sata drives in teh fture, or overclocking, 20a on the
12 should be your minimum.
Old 2004-08-08, 10:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

i think it's fine for what he is doing

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
Old 2004-08-08, 08:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Electrofreak
Contributor
Major General

Originally Posted by MattxMosh
Not bad, but Im do you mean 3000+?
was gonna say the same thing.

Yes, its a 2 ghz CPU but its comparable to a 3 ghz Intel CPU because it performs approximately 50% more tasks per clock cycle. Thats what the "3000+" is for in the name, essentially meants that its comparable to a 3000 mhz processor.

My CPU is an AMD 64 3200+, and while it is rated at 2 ghz also, it has a larger cache, which bumps up its processing power by about 200 Intel mhz. I've also got mine OCed, so its probably comparable to a 3.4 or 3.5 ghz Intel currently.

edit- keep in mind that the whole naming system for AMDs, while it shows you what the CPU is comparable to versus an Intel, isn't exactly precise. An AMD may run faster or slower than its comparable Intel counterpart depending on the cache sizes of the chips as well as any features like 64-bit compatbility (which includes an on-die memory controller and HTT bus) or HyperThreading.

edit2 - if anyone wants to pit their Mac against my system in some gaming benchmarks, I welcome the challenge.

Support the use of a dynamic XP system in PlanetSide 2!

Last edited by Electrofreak; 2004-08-08 at 08:21 PM.
Old 2004-08-08, 11:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Disconnecting
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Electrofreak
if anyone wants to pit their Mac against my system in some gaming benchmarks, I welcome the challenge.
Lets try Aquamark I will run it on virtual pc version 1.0 on my mac. Or better yet doom 3 tpye Ctrl + Alt + ~ then benchmark

Either way I will crush your inferior machine with my godlike computer.

Last edited by Disconnecting; 2004-08-08 at 11:52 PM.
Old 2004-08-09, 12:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Corrosion

Misc Info

Originally Posted by Electrofreak
was gonna say the same thing.

Yes, its a 2 ghz CPU but its comparable to a 3 ghz Intel CPU because it performs approximately 50% more tasks per clock cycle. Thats what the "3000+" is for in the name, essentially meants that its comparable to a 3000 mhz processor.

My CPU is an AMD 64 3200+, and while it is rated at 2 ghz also, it has a larger cache, which bumps up its processing power by about 200 Intel mhz. I've also got mine OCed, so its probably comparable to a 3.4 or 3.5 ghz Intel currently.

edit- keep in mind that the whole naming system for AMDs, while it shows you what the CPU is comparable to versus an Intel, isn't exactly precise. An AMD may run faster or slower than its comparable Intel counterpart depending on the cache sizes of the chips as well as any features like 64-bit compatbility (which includes an on-die memory controller and HTT bus) or HyperThreading.

edit2 - if anyone wants to pit their Mac against my system in some gaming benchmarks, I welcome the challenge.
Yea, EF's right (for a change ) You can't just compare the jiggawatz (mhz) because a Celeron 3.0 ghz and a Pentium 4 3.0 ghz may look the same, but they're COMPLETELY different.
  PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum