Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > The Lounge

Old 2003-02-07, 02:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Unregistered
Contributor
Custom Title

Audioslave

So they have been plaing a few tracks from Audioslave on the radio here and I thought they sounded pretty good so I picked up the whole album last night and just got done hearing it all the way through for the first time.

Let me say it's an interesting combo of musicians. You can deffinatly tell that the band is Rage Against the Machine. It has there sound that's for sure.

The interesting part is Chris Cornel. I was never a huge fan of Soundgarden, or his solo stuff, but his work here is fairly impressive. The pace of the album is a lot slower then and RATM album ever was, and has a real Soundgarden feel to the whole thing, but with RATM backing him it gives the music something new that Soundgarden was never capable of doing.

All in all it's a good album, and I was wondering if anyone else had heard it and what their impression of it was.

To any pontical buyers of this album I have to warn you that if you hoping for something as angry as RATM you'll be dissapointed. If you hoping it's more like Soundgarden your gonna be very impressed with the album.

Overall I give it a B+

Rage > Audioslave > Soundgarden
Old 2003-02-07, 02:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
HotDogTommy
Corporal

I agree, it seems like its been a while since I've liked a pop band that I could call 'rock and roll'.
Old 2003-02-07, 02:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
ABRAXAAS
Lieutenant Colonel

who's Audioslave/Rage Against the Machine/Chris Corne/ Soundgarden/RATM
Old 2003-02-07, 02:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Unregistered
Contributor
Custom Title

If you don't already know you must listen to either County or cRap.
Old 2003-02-07, 02:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
ABRAXAAS
Lieutenant Colonel

No country ,rap yes ,house, elctronica alot of top 40 stuff ,but none of that rings a bell,well soundgarden kinda does but I cant remeber what they do
Old 2003-02-07, 03:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Unregistered
Contributor
Custom Title

They don't do anything anymore since Chris Cornel (their singer) left a few years ago.

They sung songs like "Black Hole Sun", "The Day I Tried to Live" and "Spoonman"

RTAM = Rage Against the Machine. They are a bunch of Politicly Charged Harverd Grads that had the heavist, and best done Rap/Rock sound until their singer quit last year. If Anarchy had an anthem they'd be the ones singing it.

They did songs like "Gorilla Radio", "Know Your Enemy", and "Sleep Now in the Fire"

So Rage had no sinnger, and Chris Cornel had no band so they teamed up to become Audioslave.
Old 2003-02-07, 03:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
ABRAXAAS
Lieutenant Colonel

I feel learnded
Old 2003-02-07, 03:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Civilian
Contributor
Major

I was a part of the Official Audioslave Street Team, until they shut us down after the albums release.

I am a huge Chris Cornell/Soundgarden fan, so I really enjoy Audioslave's music. Although I think this was a poor first effort, but I blame that on Rick Rubin. There was at least one song, "The Better Bomb" that I thought belonged on the album, but for some reason didn't make it, and the voice effects and "studio" sound Rubin added are awful.

I am most impressed by Tim C's bass playing. I always thought of Morello as the only talented musician in Rage, but I think Tim C is better than Morello in some aspects(I still think Brad Wilk is an awful drummer).

The album is probably a little "slow" for Rage fans. But there are a couple of pretty hard-rockin' songs, that some of you might enjoy.
Old 2003-02-07, 03:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Civilian
Contributor
Major

Btw, that's where I got my name. This project was originally name "Civilian."
Old 2003-02-07, 03:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Unregistered
Contributor
Custom Title

That's pretty cool stuff Civ. Can you get me free tickets to the upcoming show at the warfield in SF?

I'm thinking about going. Infact that's why I bought the album. Just to make sure they were worth seeing live. The last time I went to see a band live that had one or two good radio songs it turned out to be the worst concert I have ever suffered through. Infact I was so dissgusted by it all that I walked out before it was done.

So take my advice, unless you need a cure for insomnia never go see Perfect Circle live.
Old 2003-02-07, 03:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Hamma
PSU Admin

I've heard some of their songs on the radio.

Pretty good stuff

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2003-02-07, 03:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Lexington_Steele
Lieutenant Colonel

Tom Morello fell of a long time ago. His niche was coming up with interesting sounds with his guitar. Unfortunately his bag of tricks has run dry. Now he is trying to compensate with more conventional guitar playing and it does nothing for me.

Well, atleast Audioslave is not as bad as the stuff Zack De La Rocha did with Roni Size.

Sit Back, Relax, and Enjoy the Action.
Old 2003-02-07, 03:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Civilian
Contributor
Major

That's pretty cool stuff Civ. Can you get me free tickets to the upcoming show at the warfield in SF?
Unfortunately, no. You can get advanced ticketing if you join the "online" street team. The best I could do, is a sticker and the "Cochise" single, sorry. I have tickets for both the Austin show and the Dallas show. Can't wait.

So take my advice, unless you need a cure for insomnia never go see Perfect Circle live.
I looove A Perfect Circle! They are already working on a new album, which means no Tool . Know Your Enemy is probably my favorite Rage song, because Maynard has that small part in it.
Old 2003-02-07, 03:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
mistled
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

I like what I've heard of their's on the radio. I was a huge soundgarden fan (there's an acoustic version of spoonman that is really cool), but lately I've been in more of a RATM style mode than SG, so I haven't picked up the album for the very reason mentioned. What I've heard of it is much more SG than rage.

Does anyone who what Zach's doing now??

...Visit {BOHICA}...

{BOHICA}: Giving it to Gamers, One Ass Kicking at a Time
Old 2003-02-07, 03:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Civilian
Contributor
Major

Zack's working on his new album, with Trent Reznor producing. So he is going to stick with the Rock-Rap hybrid, I am guessing. He will have a new song on the soundtrack of The Matrix Reloaded.
  PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > The Lounge