Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum

Old 2004-08-13, 07:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Ait'al
Contributor
General

backing up windows and.....

Is there any way to backup windows and reinstall so that it wont ask for you to register after the backed up stuff is put back on? Or anything like that?

Last edited by Ait'al; 2004-08-13 at 07:24 AM.
Old 2004-08-13, 10:28 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

What? You have to activate windows no matter what if it's a fresh install IE installed on a blank drive, you can do a repair install if windows is already there, and then it doesn't ask. But why do you need to worry about activating?

Activating an registering XP are two different things BTW, You have to activate or it will stop working in 15 day's This is an anit-pirate meassure. Registering is tell MS stuff about who uses the computer ECT. And that is not required period

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
Old 2004-08-13, 01:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Ait'al
Contributor
General

Sorry, i meant activating. i just find activating annoying because i have to call up microsoft every time. I just want a way to do it so i can install and reinstall it as much as i need without bothering with that since i already have it on my system. Im used to that little freedom from my old computer.

I have to reintall because it crashed and i cant get out of safemode now. Im haveing problems reinstalling now too actually. 8\

Last edited by Ait'al; 2004-08-13 at 01:23 PM.
Old 2004-08-13, 01:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

NVM you edited. Why do you have to call MS up, why not plug it into the web first realy quick to activate?

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.

Last edited by Rbstr; 2004-08-13 at 01:24 PM.
Old 2004-08-13, 01:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Ait'al
Contributor
General

If i reactivate it with the same info it keeps telling me its already registered and wont let me. This was after i reformated BTW. I was setting up a raid and just wiped over everything. And i think i need to reformat again because its not reinstalling correctly now.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edit: Ill be reinstalling now. 8) Formating and all. Do you know if it will give me less space on the raid now. Im was at 469 gig last time like it didnt take some of the hardrive from when i just had one drive installed and dropped my overall size on the raid. Or is that much missing space expected nowadays?

And did you get an answer to what you asked about the activation? If theres something i can do to stop it id love to know.

Last edited by Ait'al; 2004-08-13 at 02:37 PM.
Old 2004-08-13, 03:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Sentrosi
Contributor
General

Yeah, I have this same problem too. With all the modifications from my very first build with XP til now, everytime I wipe my drive and reformat, I have to give Microsoft a call and they issue me a new activation code. It sucks, but what are you going to do.

To the next idiot who says the PS2 Devs do not listen: See this Thread
Old 2004-08-13, 03:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Ait'al
Contributor
General

Hey, I got the repair to work off the cd. And it still wont load up normally! Anyone know any last ditch things i could do without a backup of any kind before i format?

Oh, and i think im going to get linux.

Last edited by Ait'al; 2004-08-13 at 03:30 PM.
  PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum