Maelstrom - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Mouse Recomended
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2004-10-27, 12:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Majik
Contributor
Sergeant Major

Maelstrom

NERFING THE MAELSTROM YEAH YEAH YEAH

Sing along everyone
Old 2004-10-27, 01:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

At the Planetside House of Commons, Sam said he didn't like the Maelstrom how it is currently, and was giving a lot of consideration to breaking it into two weapons: One with the chain lash (a HA weapon), and the other that lobs the grenades (a SA) weapon. The grenades would get rebalanced too.
Old 2004-10-27, 01:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
NightWalker XI
Colonel

ya I got hit by one grenade of the maelstrom today, took me down to 20 HP through my agile armour....
Old 2004-10-27, 02:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

It's a pretty cheap weapon. I constantly wonder just who the hell made the stuff in the expansion with how everything was balanced and designed.
Old 2004-10-27, 05:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Lartnev
Contributor
Brigadier General

They made it with incentive to get the expansion. Probably not the devs fault entirely
Old 2004-10-27, 05:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Untouchable
Private

I don't see how the maelstrom is that bad; figuring that if you have CC, anyone with the HA cert can aquire it ( which I would assume is a large majority of players ). Also to be able to even buy one from an equipment terminal, you are required to have access to an equipment module. It seems pretty fair to me. I agree that the maelstrom is stronger and more efficient then the standard empire HA weapons, but isn't that how it's supposed to be?
Old 2004-10-27, 05:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Apocolypse55
Corporal

I'll agree it needs a nerf. But i'll abuse it until then.
Old 2004-10-27, 07:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

Originally Posted by Untouchable
I don't see how the maelstrom is that bad; figuring that if you have CC, anyone with the HA cert can aquire it ( which I would assume is a large majority of players ). Also to be able to even buy one from an equipment terminal, you are required to have access to an equipment module. It seems pretty fair to me. I agree that the maelstrom is stronger and more efficient then the standard empire HA weapons, but isn't that how it's supposed to be?
So because anyone (or most people) can potentially get it, it's balanced? If the developers were using that logic, there'd only be one or two weapons used in Planetside, and an equally small number of vehicles, because they'd never tweak the weapons to make them all fair and worthwhile, instead saying that if you don't like this weapon being the strongest in the game, you should get it yourself.

And we'd also not be having this discussion, because Planetside would have died months ago.

The difficulty in acquiring something also has nothing to do with the weapon's balance. If you want a weapon to be less common, you restrict its access. If you want it to be a good addition to the game, you balance its effectiveness. The flail is similarily difficult to acquire, but it's still not balanced, just like the maelstrom.

Last edited by Warborn; 2004-10-27 at 07:35 PM.
Old 2004-10-27, 08:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Untouchable
Private

Originally Posted by Warborn
The difficulty in acquiring something also has nothing to do with the weapon's balance. If you want a weapon to be less common, you restrict its access. If you want it to be a good addition to the game, you balance its effectiveness. The flail is similarily difficult to acquire, but it's still not balanced, just like the maelstrom.
This is where I disagree. If the maelstrom was equal and "balanced" to all of the other HA weapons (according to you), why would anyone go through the extra effort to obtain an equipment module? They wouldn't, simply because they already have a weapon of similar power available to themselves at anytime. Thus their would seemingly be no point of the maelstrom (or flail) at all.
Old 2004-10-27, 09:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
WritheNC
First Lieutenant

We were defending a base against the TR, and 1 VS with a Maelstrom killed 17 tr with 2 maelstrom grenades.

The screen just scrolled up like it was an orbital strike, totally incredible.

I think in grenade mode it shouldn't be able to hurt more than 5 people in the radius.
Old 2004-10-27, 10:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
AztecWarrior
Lightbulb Collector

Get over it. I've never seen it as a problem.
The gun katas. Through analysis of thousands of recorded gunfights, the Cleric has determined that the geometric distribution of antagonists in any gun battle is a statistically predictable element. The gun kata treats the gun as a total weapon, each fluid position representing a maximum kill zone, inflicting maximum damage on the maximum number of opponents while keeping the defender clear of the statistically traditional trajectories of return fire. By the rote mastery of this art, your firing efficiency will rise by no less than 120%. The difference of a 63% increase to lethal proficiency makes the master of the gun katas an adversary not to be taken lightly.
Old 2004-10-27, 11:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
I Hate Pants
General

Originally Posted by AztecWarrior
Aztec has spoken!!!!!!! What he says is LAW!!!!! Screw the rest of the Planetside community!
Old 2004-10-28, 07:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
Majik
Contributor
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by AztecWarrior
Not to burst your bubble, but my song is based on reality. The devs SAID they are changing the maelstrom into 2 weapons. Which means that the HA whores will have to get SA as well if they want the lash grenade weapon. Anything that makes it so every door into a base isn't being spammed with those annoying "kill you ten feet from a closed door" grenades.
Old 2004-10-28, 07:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
Boomer
First Sergeant

Malestrom is decent. <3 for the malestrom. It rocks. I get about 50 kills with it every time I play. The sad thing, is the reason I get 50 kills with it. Maybe if you didnt sit at the top of the stairway or at the backdoor you wouldnt be getting hit by it. Thats just grenades.

The primary firing mode sucks. it kills really slowly. I often find myself losing against an agile with a sweeper when I have a maley. So, if they are going to split it into 2 weapons, then it should deal more damage/second.

For those of you who have played SW: Battlefront, make a weapon like the Clone Pilot weapon. Where you charge it up, and when fully charged, it instagibs whatever is in its path, but in planetside it will use a full clip and you have to reload.

So: Primary Firing mode for new malestrom ould be what it is now with a streaming beam of death.
Secondary Firing mode would be a charge up beam, like the spiker, but like the clone pilot weapon in SW: Battlefront, and instagib, using the full clip.
Sounds good?

oh yeah.. it would be for the New Conglomerate only
Old 2004-10-28, 02:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

Originally Posted by Untouchable
This is where I disagree. If the maelstrom was equal and "balanced" to all of the other HA weapons (according to you), why would anyone go through the extra effort to obtain an equipment module? They wouldn't, simply because they already have a weapon of similar power available to themselves at anytime. Thus their would seemingly be no point of the maelstrom (or flail) at all.
You'd go through the trouble to get it because it provides a different angle on the HA experience. For instance, why do I often-times ditch my cycler for a gauss rifle? They're both MA, and have identical requirements to equip them, right? Right. But gauss does a lot more damage than the cycler, and I prefer that over having 20 extra shots, especially if I get into a fight up close where the fight usually ends before either of us expend 30 rounds of ammunition. The maelstrom would be the same way. Its method of killing wouldn't be better or worse than the other HA weapons, ideally, but it would be different, and some people would prefer the way the maelstrom functions over the way their MCG or lasher operates.

Plus, bear in mind that when you can get a maelstrom, you can also get a radiator and so on, so the module needed for the maelstrom isn't just for the maelstrom, it's for all the AT stuff.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion