Wow... so many ideas... I have to let SOME of them out! - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Now on the top left corner.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2005-03-21, 08:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
ChewyLSB
Major

Misc Info
Wow... so many ideas... I have to let SOME of them out!

Siege Vehicle Certification: (3 Certification Points)
Three Vehicles

What�s the point of this certification? Siege weapons are generally weapons that are used to assault a base, or to perform related tasks. True, putting the Flail in this category would probably be wise, but I�ll leave it out for now. All siege vehicles wouldn�t look that special, maybe they would look like a simple box, nothing too flashy. All three would have to �deploy� to do what they are meant to do.

These �vehicles� would not actually be able to move on their own power. They need another vehicle to carry them. I believe making only the empire specific assault buggies able to carry them is reasonable, and as for the Vanu one, just make the Vanu boxes float. How would it work?

Someone with the Siege Vehicle certification would have a special pistol sized weapon, a smoke canister. When he wants to get one of the three siege vehicles, he has to throw the canister, and he will answer a �radio call�, which asks which of the three vehicles he wants. The box is then dropped by an NPC Controlled Galaxy, which drops the box out of it�s vehicle slot.

However, he wants to be in relative safety. The Galaxy CAN be shot down like a normal Galaxy, and if it�s dropped before it drops its payload, then the vehicle is destroyed as well. If the Galaxy is shot down at all, that�s an automatic 7:30 purchase penalty on the next siege weapon you wish to purchase.

Once on the ground, it can�t move under it�s own power. It can deploy where it is, but if it wants to move, it needs an Assault Buggy to move it.

1st Vehicle: Zipline Launcher
The inspiration for this came to me while I was reading some historical battle overviews. Often times, when an army reaches a river, they will make their own bridge to cross. In PlanetSide, the only way to get across a river is to use the predetermined bridges with no other way of getting by them. This vehicle would help alleviate this issue.

After the truck deploys, the launcher looks like a small turret. At this point, the driver should get out of the cab and man the launcher. Then, he is given an aimer and a power meter. (Yes, GunBound style, baby) Now, he launches a �tracer�, if you will, and wherever it lands, that�s where the zipline will end. However, the zipline is not constructed yet. Two different combat engineers must be on either side of the zipline with an ACE equipped. Once they are ready, the zipline can be constructed.

The zipline�s would be color coded to tell which empire can use it. Red for TR, blue for NC, and Purple for VS. The zipline can only be destroyed if the original launcher is destroyed. Each launcher can only fire three ziplines, but you can get more ammo boxes ONLY at Equipment Terminals at BASES. (This makes for interesting situations where, let�s say, an ATV Driver can �drive back� for an ammo run, if you will)
An enemy Advanced Medic, however, can make things more interesting. If an Advanced Medic is able to get to the original launcher, he can reprogram the biological limitations on the zipline, and change which empire can use it which his medical applicator.

2nd Vehicle: Base Wall Scaler
The Inspiration for this came from the Lord of the Rings movie, the scene where they use the ladders to attempt to scale the castle. This goes along the same principle, creating a new entry route into the enemy base.

Same principle here, you drive the box to the wall, and then deploy it. It becomes a huge tower, and is completely enclosed. On the bottom part, there is a teleporter, and the same as on the top part of the wall. Basically, this vehicle is meant to make invaders able to scale the walls of a base and go right to the catwalk. However, like the zipline, it is not truly active when it first starts. Two Advanced Medics on either end must configure the biological matrices on the teleporters before it can be used.

And, like the zipline, you can make things more interesting. An Advanced Hacker can reverse the way the two teleporters work. However, an Advanced Hacker on either side can do this, so you may see constantly switching teleporters.

3rd Vehicle: Battering Ram
Not a true battering ram, this vehicle is meant as a counter to shield mods. The box is driven once again towards an enemy base, however, unlike other vehicles, the box can go through shield mods. You have to drive it halfway through a shield mod, then detach and deploy it. At this point, it becomes invincible, but you need two advanced hackers on either side of the entrance to make it do what it�s meant to do. When this happens, the shield mod benefit on BOTH entrances is destroyed, and they are down until the vehicle is destroyed. This allows enemy vehicles to pass through freely. (I toyed with letting this work for Capital Shields� what do you think?)

Well� those are some of the many ideas I have floating around. What do you think?
Old 2005-03-21, 09:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Hamorad
First Sergeant

Pretty good idea, but i don't like the NPC controlled gal, this is supposed to be a Player vs player...

Maybe the seige weapons could be purchased from a loadstar or something
Old 2005-03-22, 12:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Lartnev
Contributor
Brigadier General

Yeah I like the general idea (would make assault buggies much more useful), but I agree with Hamorad in that the NPC Gal seems a bit.... excess. Couldn't they just attach the box like a BFR attaches its weaponary at a rearm silo?
Old 2005-03-23, 05:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Atlas24
Corporal

How the hell do you get an advanced hacker in the shield to be on the other side? Is there like a passage or something for him to run in, or does he have to drop in with a mossie to finish the deploying process?

666th SH4D0W 0wnZ J00!
Old 2005-03-23, 05:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Mag-Mower
General

Misc Info

ummm... i think the sheild only applys to vehicles, because i have walked right through enemy sheilds and do everything a normal okayer does...
Old 2005-03-23, 05:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Lartnev
Contributor
Brigadier General

Yeah, CC shields only prevent vehicles from entering the courtyard (although Galaxies and Lodestars can help with this problem).
Old 2005-03-24, 04:17 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Atlas24
Corporal

Oh, that kinda shield

Bear with me, I just came back to PS after 5 months this weekend.

(I am gonna milk this excuse for all its worth!)

666th SH4D0W 0wnZ J00!
Old 2005-03-24, 05:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
hex222
Staff Sergeant

i cant see much point in the first one, i doubt i'd ever use it.

i came up with an Advanced Support Vehicle, its like a blank version of the AMS, you load it with a selection of tools at the repair facility, you can purchase:
- vehicle repair beam
- healing/repair station
- ammo replicator
- EMP blast
- HE mine deployer
- bombardier unit
- breaching tool
- pain feild deployer
- automatic machine gun nest

you also get the command point, which allows high CR's to scan the battlefeild to give advice, allows adv. hackers the ability to hack terminals and the such from outside a base and gives all people in a SOI a radar...
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion