Reavers - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: It will pop your cherry
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2005-04-01, 08:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
steeldragon01
Sergeant

Misc Info
Reavers

Am i the only one that thinks reavers are gay? No matter what if its a troop vs. reaver it doesnt matter what wep he has the troop will die even if its 2 people. Then the reaver will afterburn back to the base and heal itself. I think its just a noob vech. Yes, so is the bfr but the bfr costs 2 more certs to get and you have to imprint. The certs to get reaver should increase or the weapons on reavers need to be less powerful against infantry.
Old 2005-04-01, 08:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Hamorad
First Sergeant

Ever piloted a reaver? It's near impossible to get away from all the AA... A veh SHOULD win against infantry, that's the point of them.
Old 2005-04-01, 08:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
steeldragon01
Sergeant

Misc Info

i mean like if theres an ams or when there camping a tower. and yes i have, you either get a 100 kills in a min or no kills.
Old 2005-04-01, 10:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
ChewyLSB
Major

Misc Info

It's not as bad as when Reavers had two "free life" buttons, afterburners and bailing... now it's just afterburners.
Old 2005-04-01, 10:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

Reavers and AA are equally lame in this game. I can't stand piloting a reaver because of how ridiculous it is. There's tiny bits of skill involved in flying a reaver and tiny bits of skill involved in killing a reaver. Air combat needs a total overhaul, becuase what we have right now is so horrible that I can't imagine anyone trying to pass Planetside's aircraft system off as, say, a single-player game. It's just so shitty to fly a reaver, it's not like an aircraft at all, it's literally like flying a VTOL crate of assorted vegetables. And shooting down a reaver? Unless you're using a lancer, forget it, any retard can do it.

The way aircraft work in this game is probably the #1 failing of Planetside in my opinion. If it were improved dramatically, it'd shake up the entire game for the better. As it is, it's dragging things down like a 500lb anchor.

Originally Posted by Hamorad
Ever piloted a reaver? It's near impossible to get away from all the AA... A veh SHOULD win against infantry, that's the point of them.
Mechs SHOULD win against infantry, that's the point of them!

Right?
Old 2005-04-01, 10:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Firefly
Contributor
Major General

Any semblance of intelligent opinion you had was shot to utter shit with a BB gun with your opening statement.

Originally Posted by steeldragon01
Am i the only one that thinks reavers are gay?
Way to swim in the shallow end of the gene pool. With floaties.
Old 2005-04-02, 12:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Jeffey
Master Sergeant

Frankly it's simply the aircrafts ability to STOP flying forward completely and hover with its nose pointed down, then to slowly move through forest to chase you down when you are trapped behind a tree. it's lame and totally out of character for any aircraft barring helicopters
Old 2005-04-02, 06:19 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Electrofreak
Contributor
Major General

Alright. Pick up an aircraft cert, and fly around a bit. When you run into some AA you'll learn it isn't all fun and games being a pilot.

As for being Reaverspammed, it wont happen if you stay within a couple hundred meters of an AA MAX or a Skyguard. You don't complain when a tank kills you when you don't have AV do you? Well if you expect to live versus aircraft you need to keep some AA nearby. Its simply how the game works. You can make my life as a pilot miserable and get tons of XP shooting my sorry butt down with AA, so I try to return the favor to those foolish enough to head out onto open ground without AA cover.

Lastly, I'd like to remark that rocketspamming isn't something I LIKE to have to do. I'd prefer to save my rockets for tanks and the like, as they run out quickly. But the accuracy of the 20mms are atrocious, and when an infantry points a weapon at me and starts doing damage to me, I'm not going to risk getting shot down just to plink away at him with my 20mm cannons. I tried doing that today as a matter of fact, and got shot down by a Pulsar. Its simply too much of a pain to use the 20mms on infantry. If the Devs changed the 20mm to be more accurate, perhaps zero to an actual point instead of converge at infinity, I think the majority of Reaver pilots would take it happily along with a nerf to the AI damage and splash of the rockets.

So, as a grunt and a pilot both, thats my view of it all. I remember the days before I flew, and I hated Reaver pilots just as much as anyone else. But then I discovered just how tough it is as a Reaver pilot when 2 Starfires gain a lock, or a Skyguard decides to fill the sky with pain.

Support the use of a dynamic XP system in PlanetSide 2!

Last edited by Electrofreak; 2005-04-02 at 06:20 AM.
Old 2005-04-02, 06:42 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Reavers are modeled after helicopters...and sort of fly like them.

It isn't easy to be a good Reaver pilot, but once you are it gets much better.

The best part is inventing new maneuvers hehe, my favorite has been long patched out of the game though.

Before you were magically warped to your vehicle after purchase and you had to rush into it or risk being killed, I would hop in and hit the altitude jets and the afterburner and go out through the gate in front at 280 kph. Got hate tells like crazy a few times when I accidently mowed a spit fire then blew up beside a Deliverer loading up, killing 3 friendlies...stangely enough taking off was a blast each time. Once mowed an enemy infil on takeoff...that was a fun moment....esp when he accused me of using DL. =/

Old 2005-04-02, 08:12 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
ChewyLSB
Major

Misc Info

Electro, that's a problem with ALL dual weapons... I'm sure you know that already, though.

Namely, all TR MAX's, the Basilisk, and the Reaver 20mm's.

I think they should all have a "converging" point, and maybe make it so that the converging point auto adjusts based on what you're aiming at. If you're aiming at something far away, both cannons will automatically swivel left or right based on how far away it is to make both cannons aim at the same point. It's completely pointless to even have dual weapons now - as they stand now, they're much MUCH worse than a single cannon. (ESPECIALLY those Basilisk cannons, it's the EXACT same thing as a single 12 mm except only half the shots hit).

Logic would dictate that a dual cannon would fire twice as quickly as a normal gun, but that's not how it works. Especially on the basilisk, since all the dual weapons do is fire at the normal rate, except alternating. Dual weapons should alternate between the shots, but fire in the cooldown time of the first shot. (Then again, maybe allowing the basilisk to fire off two ACTUAL 12mm's is a bit overkill... I mean the single 12mm from the Mosquito rapes enough as it is)

The biggest bane is still accuracy though. Just make the shots "converge" on one cursor instead of this terrible alternating system we have now.

So anyways, if they fix the dual 20mm's on the Reaver, then they should nerf the rocket damage against infantry, and perhaps even give it a slight buff against vehicles. That way, the 20mm's are meant for anti-infantry, and the rockets are anti-vehicular. That would completely balance out the reaver in my opinion (maybe... I still think it has too much armor, but no one agrees with me on that point, so meh).

EDIT: Said 20 when I meant 12.

Last edited by ChewyLSB; 2005-04-02 at 08:15 AM.
Old 2005-04-02, 08:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
FatalLight
Sergeant Major

I've seen several pleas to lower the pocket damage v infantry (to like 1 1/2 clips of ammo to kill one) and to improve the 20mm accuracy.

Yes reavers suck, but I hate a good mossy pilot way more than I hate noob reaver pilots, that damn gun is silent and almost instagib...
Old 2005-04-02, 10:08 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

Originally Posted by Electrofreak
As for being Reaverspammed, it wont happen if you stay within a couple hundred meters of an AA MAX or a Skyguard.
There are always way more aircraft than AA MAXs or Skyguards (or AA BFRs) combined. I've seen AA MAXs have reavers literally sneak up on them while they're busy firing at some other aircraft, hover very close to them, and pound them from nearly point blank with rockets. MAXs are absolutely not a guarentee of safety against aircraft. Similarily, you can't stay near a Skyguard as infantry. Skyguards are almost always zipping around trying to avoid being shot, because their armor is probably the lowest of any ground vehicle outside the basiliks family. AA BFRs are about the only real vehicle you can count on to do a good job of clearing the skies.

But despite the ability of all three vs aircraft, they can also be destroyed by non-aircraft. MAXs get Phoenix sniped, Skyguards get blown up by tanks or mines or whatever, and BFRs meet a similar fate (though less often). You can't say 'Well you should have had AA', because a lot of the times they did have AA, but then a bunch of infantry started firing Phoenixes over the walls and killed our AA MAXs or scared off our Skyguards. The counters are extremely hard in that, when AA is present, aircraft are usually fucked unless they have a significant number advantage (which is actually pretty often), and when AA is not present, everything else is fucked. It's terrible.

Anyway, I have faith that eventually Samhayne will take a look at aircraft and fix things up a bit. Until then, it's premature to ask for any nerfs, especially when this is definitely one of those 'It's been this way for so long...' features.

Last edited by Warborn; 2005-04-02 at 10:11 AM.
Old 2005-04-02, 10:10 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Basically make all pre BFR dual weapons track the same as BFR dual weapons do...specifically look at the TR BFRs

Old 2005-04-02, 07:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Electrofreak
Contributor
Major General

Warborn, I agree but I disagree. There are situations where aircraft can overwhelm AA. But much more often its the AA that completely wipes out any aircraft in the vicinity. I've been in fights where I couldn't get within 5 miles of an enemy base because there was AA parked all over the damn place. My only suggestion is to make AA weapons able to hit up near flight ceiling better. That I can live with.

Also remember that AA comes in the form of your OWN aircraft. Nerfing aircraft won't necessarily benefit you any more. I think what PS needs is an AA-oriented aircraft. One that is terrible at killing vehicles or infantry but has guided missiles or somesuch.

Support the use of a dynamic XP system in PlanetSide 2!
Old 2005-04-02, 09:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Jeffey
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by Electrofreak
I think what PS needs is an AA-oriented aircraft. One that is terrible at killing vehicles or infantry but has guided missiles or somesuch.
YES - as mentioned above air to air combat is pretty lame in PS right now, there are no real dogfights, just mossies trying to chase your lib

I would cert air cav in a heartbeat if i knew i could be having Iron Maiden - Aces High style dogfights
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion