Considering a return to PS. AdvMed? FlightModel? - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Help your empire, kill a vanu.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2005-04-05, 03:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
SVoyager
Contributor
Corporal

Question Considering a return to PS. AdvMed? FlightModel?

I played PS during and a little after beta and then unsubbed for a while for a few reasons.

Since then, i've been keeping an eye on the game but would like to know about 2 things. I often played support roles, such as pilot, adv med, CE, things like that but I was kinda dissapointed with the flight model of the game and the adv medic at that time.

Has there been any changes about those? One of my main problems with the adv medic is that, whenever you wanted to revive someone, he had already clicked the respawn location so you could no longer revive them. Has this changed? Has the adv med become useful? are ppl actually using it now?

Also, about the Flight Model. When I joined PS, I was coming from simulation games but I knew I was expecting an arcadish FM and was used to arcadish FM in other games but was kinda let down at how excessivly arcadish/n00b proof it was :-). Comparing to Tribes2, I found the FM in T2 to be arcadish but at a good enough level so that when you were fighting a skilled pilot, you knew he could pull off some nice tricks and manoevers to get you off his 6. In PS, it was alot more basic than that. Your movements were very limited even such you couldnt even do the basic loops that you can usualy do in any games no matter how arcadish it was. In PS, alot of fighting was about who could turn faster than the other and if both were turning at the same speed, whoever got tired first were the one dying.

Well I expect that tactics would have changed since but about the FM, is there anything new now? Are we still as limited as it was when the game released? Is joystick support still as crappy? Can the planes still climb at 45+ degree angles with absolutly no influence on speed (same thing when you dive).

I would love to get back to this game but these 2 points were game killers for me. Do I still have to wait a couple of years? ;-)
Old 2005-04-05, 03:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
steeldragon01
Sergeant

Misc Info

Well the adv med is used all the times. You can tell everyone around you not to click out.
But the flying is well...no dogfights. I dont have air cav but Ive never seen a dogfight and probably never will. I wish there were some though.
Old 2005-04-05, 04:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Lonehunter
Lieutenant General

Flight Maneuverability has not changed what so ever.

Advanced Med, when you're in the field with "zerg" around you, the only people you're gonna rez are the ones who know what they're doing, or the people that have an enemy weapon and dont' want to lose it. Joining an outfit that works together can excercise your med tool greatly.
And if you back in 2003 decided you wanted to play RTS games, between then and now you'd have dozens of RTS games you could have played. If you decided to play MMOFPS' between then and now, there were none
Old 2005-04-05, 08:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

All of the above is, unfortunately, correct. But Planetside has a new Producer/Lead Designer, and he's doing a very good job so far, so I suspect these two long-standing issues will eventually be changed to work better. It's simply a matter of priorities.
Old 2005-04-06, 01:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Electrofreak
Contributor
Major General

Originally Posted by steeldragon01
Well the adv med is used all the times. You can tell everyone around you not to click out.
But the flying is well...no dogfights. I dont have air cav but Ive never seen a dogfight and probably never will. I wish there were some though.
I dogfight all the time. It is however, PS dogfighting, which usually 2 aircraft charging one another then hover-turreting eachother to death. It could definately be cooler, but the devs are trying to work on improving the infantry system currently (new guns, base layouts, command overhaul, squad exp revamp, etc on the way). They DID however implement decent joystick support so at least its a little bit better. You can't loop-de-loop or barrel roll but its still pretty fun.

The merits system is what brought me back to PS. They're awards you get for getting certain numbers of kills in certain ways, and can be displayed on your character. It gives me some nice goals to work towards besides just killing people

Support the use of a dynamic XP system in PlanetSide 2!
Old 2005-04-06, 06:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
steeldragon01
Sergeant

Misc Info

When I meant dogfight I meant "dogfight" crimson skies dogfight. I know ps air fighting will never get that good but if it did
Old 2005-04-06, 11:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
SVoyager
Contributor
Corporal

Thumbs down

Thx alot for the replies. I dont know really what im gonna do. The fact that the FM is still as crappy as it was is a big letdown. Will have to think about it some more.

Thx again!!!
Old 2005-04-07, 09:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

Originally Posted by SVoyager
Thx alot for the replies. I dont know really what im gonna do. The fact that the FM is still as crappy as it was is a big letdown. Will have to think about it some more.

Thx again!!!
Yeah, I think everyone who comes to Planetside with the hopes of being a fighter pilot or something gets hit with a huge letdown. As I may have said in this thread, though, the new designer is doing some great things with the game, so make sure you keep your eyes here for latest patch news. Eventually I am sure aircraft will be reworked.
Old 2005-04-07, 11:58 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

I think the physics in general need a revamp.

Old 2005-04-07, 04:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

Originally Posted by Sobekeus
I think the physics in general need a revamp.
I was thinking the same thing today using my flight BFR. God damn the physics are bad. Sometimes I launch forward when I jump, sometimes I go totally vertical even if I was previously in transit mode. The terrain elevation seems to play no part. I don't know what decides how successful my jumps are, but god damn if it isn't annoying sometimes.
Old 2005-04-07, 04:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Yeah, if it isnt perfectly flat anything can happen with random results...

Which while sometimes being enormously hilarious, is really annoying when it counts.

Old 2005-04-07, 06:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Phaden
Contributor
Major

And the physics for landing a large aircraft could def use some love. I cant count the times im about to set down, and some random dude tries to hop in to early, touches me, and off into the forrest i whiz.
Old 2005-04-07, 08:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
steeldragon01
Sergeant

Misc Info

also when your landing a gal on slightly tilted land you start to slide. thats bad when u slide into a tower and decon.
Old 2005-04-07, 09:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

I'm getting annoyed just reading all the above examples of shitty physics. I've had each happen to me or to a squad I was in and oh man can it be annoying. Almost like vehicles underneath the air pads of a tech plant deconstructing. The amount of retarded stuff there is just boggles the mind. Can you guys imagine if all the dumb stuff wasn't in the game, how much better it'd be? Take the same gameplay and throw in a better engine (for performance and physics), remove the bugs, and the flight model of BF1942 or something and you instantly have a far, far superior game. Planetside 2 will be this game two years from now when they finally get the big issues solved and upgrade the engine via an expansion. It'll all make a world of difference.
Old 2005-04-10, 02:02 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
Mag-Mower
General

Misc Info

any one ever get this? you ram a vehicle, you keep pushing and pushing, then all the sudden, you are launched across the entire cont, we were having an ant derby, and i smashed into the side of an other ant, i went flying into the ocean... i have heard people call this the rubber band effect, and it makes sense.

so, yea, physics defintley need a huge over haul
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion