PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Google? Hamma-gle!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > The Lounge

Old 2003-02-16, 12:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Tobias
I'm with the Vanu

Does a name affect your opinion of the person?

When you see some ones name do you judge them based off that?

Say you have 4 people:

Sasha

ILIKEGOATSEX

I_f00ked_j00_m00m4

DEATHBLOODKILLER

all four post on a subject you know nothing about, and all four say something differant, all their posts seem to make sience, even if I_f00ked_j00_m00m4's includes a bit to much info on what he would like to do to your mother. Who's post would you think would have the correct info? I personaly trust people with normal names lots more then people who's names say rude things or combine two or more action words. How about you. Are you like me and shallow enough to judge people based on their names alone?
Old 2003-02-16, 12:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Led

Yup, I am a shallow ho too And I agree that the name one picks online is a 'window to their soul', so to speak.

Case in point: Last night, while playing Desert Combat, my gunner was shot, so after repairing at the base I was hunting around for someone to conscript for a new gunner. Lo and behold I saw a guy running towards me, ready to take up the job... then I saw his name.

-=$MAJOR-BONGTAKER$=- :420th:

I fed him a rocket and went and found someone else.

Old 2003-02-16, 01:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Squeeky
Contributor
Teh Masturbator

I agree, The name says alot!
Old 2003-02-16, 01:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Sol
Sergeant

lol Led!

I agree, a persons name gives you a first impression. Someone with the name -=$MAJOR-BONGTAKER$=- :420th: is probably not going to be a good gunner.
Old 2003-02-16, 01:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
ABRAXAAS
Lieutenant Colonel

First off almost anything you get off the net from people is untrustable when right off the start there not even letting you know who they are sasha's got a normal sounding name but it could be a 48 year old 685 pound albino transexual midgete
so I dont judge anyone based on there name, its never been a factor.

My mother always tolbe me " dont beleive anything you here and only half of what you see" and I would say thats pretty accurate
Old 2003-02-16, 01:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Tobias
I'm with the Vanu

Originally posted by ABRAXAAS
First off almost anything you get off the net from people is untrustable when right off the start there not even letting you know who they are sasha's got a normal sounding name but it could be a 48 year old 685 pound albino transexual midgete
so I dont judge anyone based on there name, its never been a factor.

My mother always tolbe me " dont beleive anything you here and only half of what you see" and I would say thats pretty accurate
yes Sasha might be a horazontaly challanged pale fellow in his late years, but his/her/it's name makes it so that you trust it more then Billybuttfook, who is as likely to be a 48 year old 685 pound albino transexual midgete as sasha is, and sasha has a cooler name.
Old 2003-02-16, 01:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Format
First Sergeant

Yea i agree. I usually never team up or befriend someone with a huge unrealistic name as you were speaking off. People with short names such as...Format for example, tend to be much cooler
Old 2003-02-16, 01:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
ABRAXAAS
Lieutenant Colonel

well for the most part it doesnt matter but there are instances where if someone is making a strong statement with there name then it obviously affects my opinion , like
"jewhattingnazi" or "Ihatecanadians" our something along those lines
Old 2003-02-16, 01:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Toimu
Second Lieutenant

I'm kind-of the same, but most of the time it's because of something someone with that kind-of name has done before.

Toimu:
IEDs, SAF, RPGs, & mortars. But only during breakfast, lunch, and dinner. The enemy is so poor, they have to keep day jobs

PS Storyline
Old 2003-02-16, 01:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Airlift
Sig Mastah!

sasha's got a normal sounding name but it could be a 48 year old 685 pound albino transexual midget
Yeah, 48 is a little old
Old 2003-02-16, 01:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
�io
Lieutenant General

Agreed name = important.
Old 2003-02-16, 02:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Shyfted One
Corporal

I don't know if it really makes you shallow to have a low opinion of someone who's name is ILIKEGOATSEX, I_f00ked_j00_m00m4, or DEATHBLOODKILLER because someone with a name like that probably is pretty immature and shouldn't deserve your respect From what I've seen the name does reflect a person's personality, so if they want to be respected, they can pick a more respectable name.
Old 2003-02-16, 04:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Ludio
First Sergeant

I think that name is important for first impressions, but I am quickly persuaded otherwise. For example if I see Sasha laying demo packs beneath the planes in BF1942 while DEATHBLOODKILLER and ILIKEGOATSEX are bombarding the enemy base in artillery, then I am going to forget that the latter have stupid names. This is the same on forums with posts, people who make intelligent posts, no matter how stupid their names are, get my respect.
Old 2003-02-16, 05:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Pilgrim
Contributor
First Lieutenant

In DoD I'll run around as CockKnocker (ala Jay and Sillent Bob Strike Back) just to stir things up... It's fun to get some one frustrated when your owning them with a lame name... But as a rule in the FPS I've played people with the lame names are normally trying to get attention because there game play doesn't do it for them. Not always, but sometimes.

PAX

The Hunter

%99 of the time

CockKnocker the rest
Old 2003-02-16, 05:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Bighoss
General

Originally posted by Shyfted One
I don't know if it really makes you shallow to have a low opinion of someone who's name is ILIKEGOATSEX, I_f00ked_j00_m00m4, or DEATHBLOODKILLER because someone with a name like that probably is pretty immature and shouldn't deserve your respect From what I've seen the name does reflect a person's personality, so if they want to be respected, they can pick a more respectable name.
some people simply go for shock value and intimidation. Doesn't mean there immature.
  PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > The Lounge