Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > The Lounge

Old 2007-02-17, 10:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
ManMadeSpoon
Private

Interesting Video

http://www.scottmcleod.org/didyouknow.wmv

Saw this on another forum, and I have to say its pretty interesting stuff. If the assumptions in the video are true, I think we're in for an interesting next 20 years..
Old 2007-02-17, 11:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
I Hate Pants
General

Re: Interesting Video

. Nintendo wasted over 140 million dollars to design a gamecube with a new controller. FUCKING INCREDIBLE!

. First year of my college computer course will go to waste.

. I'm one of the few people to still not have a myspace account

. computers will make us their bitches

That second song was from "Empire Earth".

Last edited by I Hate Pants; 2007-02-17 at 11:43 PM.
Old 2007-02-18, 03:09 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
LimpBIT
Lieutenant Colonel

omg, that video is insane. By 2049 a computer will be invented that can exceed the capabilities of the human race.

Old 2007-02-18, 03:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Jaged
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by LimpBIT View Post
omg, that video is insane. By 2049 a computer will be invented that can exceed the capabilities of the human race.
That was saying that by 2049 a computer that can do that will cost $1000. If that is true, a computer will be invented much sooner that can do that.
Old 2007-02-18, 03:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Sentrosi
Contributor
General

I don't have a mySpace account and don't plan on getting one.

To the next idiot who says the PS2 Devs do not listen: See this Thread
Old 2007-02-18, 02:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

Um, my computer already exceedes the computational capabilities of the human race.

If you put all of us in a room and told us to do 6940283/2521 my calculator with it's teeny couple mhz chip would easily figure out the answer before we could(Excluding autistic savants).

Big deal, computational power does not equal true problem solving capability. A computer can help, but it will never acctualy end up discovering the answer to a problem that does not have formula to find the answer already created(say the Grand unified theory or what have you), at least untill true artificial inteligence is created.

Yeah we're learning a shit ton of new things every day, alot of it isn't that important, most of it only adds a tiny extra bit of understanding to what we already know. None of it is discovering new rules.

My first year of college is never going to be out of date, calculus isn't going to be replaced, nor is mechanics, or basic chemistry. Well I suppose english may eventualy be worthless.

Yeah one day we'll figure out the formula that can be used to predict the outcome of any physical/chemical interaction, but it's going to be a fuckton harder to use than a simple formual newton came up with.

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
Old 2007-02-22, 01:26 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Electrofreak
Contributor
Major General

You want crazy computing possibilities? If you've got some time (long article, several videos), check this out:

"Jeff Hawkins Hacks the Human Brain"

This is the beginning of true AI folks, not pre-programmed stuff that simulates AI. These computers will learn, draw comparisons between things and make their own connections, associations, and decisions (in a controlled sense). This software will be open source within THIS YEAR.

Support the use of a dynamic XP system in PlanetSide 2!

Last edited by Electrofreak; 2007-02-22 at 01:27 AM.
Old 2007-02-22, 06:52 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Hamma
PSU Admin

ONOES MY COMPUTER JUST BECAME SELF AWARE

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2007-02-22, 10:11 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Kyonye
Contributor
General

Originally Posted by Rbstr View Post
Um, my computer already exceedes the computational capabilities of the human race.

If you put all of us in a room and told us to do 6940283/2521 my calculator with it's teeny couple mhz chip would easily figure out the answer before we could(Excluding autistic savants).
I think you misunderstood what it was talking about.

It said it would exceed the capabilities of a human. That means that it would be able to do something that humans could never accomplish, or figure out. What you said about the division problem is true, the calculator can do the problem faster than us, but still we can do that problem.

<Smaug> omg kyonye is hot
Old 2007-02-22, 11:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Lartnev
Contributor
Brigadier General

Is that actually feasable given the fact that computers are bound by human logic?
Old 2007-02-23, 02:48 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Kikinchikin

A computer will never be able to answer, "What is the meaning of life?"
Old 2007-02-23, 03:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Jaged
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Kikinchikin View Post
For that matter, neither can a human.
Old 2007-02-23, 05:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Kikinchikin View Post
life
1.the condition that distinguishes organisms from inorganic objects and dead organisms, being manifested by growth through metabolism, reproduction, and the power of adaptation to environment through changes originating internally.
2.the sum of the distinguishing phenomena of organisms, esp. metabolism, growth, reproduction, and adaptation to environment.
3.the animate existence or period of animate existence of an individual: to risk one's life; a short life and a merry one.
4.a corresponding state, existence, or principle of existence conceived of as belonging to the soul: eternal life.
5.the general or universal condition of human existence: Too bad, but life is like that.
6.any specified period of animate existence: a man in middle life.
7.the period of existence, activity, or effectiveness of something inanimate, as a machine, lease, or play: The life of the car may be ten years.
8.a living being: Several lives were lost.
9.living things collectively: the hope of discovering life on other planets; insect life.
10.a particular aspect of existence: He enjoys an active physical life.
11.the course of existence or sum of experiences and actions that constitute a person's existence: His business has been his entire life.
12.a biography: a newly published life of Willa Cather.
13.animation; liveliness; spirit: a speech full of life.
14.resilience; elasticity.
15.the force that makes or keeps something alive; the vivifying or quickening principle: The life of the treaty has been an increase of mutual understanding and respect.
16.a mode or manner of existence, as in the world of affairs or society: So far her business life has not overlapped her social life.
17.the period or extent of authority, popularity, approval, etc.: the life of the committee; the life of a bestseller.
18.a prison sentence covering the remaining portion of the offender's animate existence: The judge gave him life.
19.anything or anyone considered to be as precious as life: She was his life.
20.a person or thing that enlivens: the life of the party.
21.effervescence or sparkle, as of wines.
22.pungency or strong, sharp flavor, as of substances when fresh or in good condition.
23.nature or any of the forms of nature as the model or subject of a work of art: drawn from life.
24.Baseball. another opportunity given to a batter to bat because of a misplay by a fielder.
25.(in English pool) one of a limited number of shots allowed a player: Each pool player has three lives at the beginning of the game. �adjective
26.for or lasting a lifetime; lifelong: a life membership in a club; life imprisonment.
27.of or pertaining to animate existence: the life force; life functions.
28.working from nature or using a living model: a life drawing; a life class. �Idioms
29.as large as life, actually; indeed: There he stood, as large as life. Also, as big as life.
30.come to life, a.to recover consciousness. b.to become animated and vigorous: The evening passed, but somehow the party never came to life. c.to appear lifelike: The characters of the novel came to life on the screen.
31.for dear life, with desperate effort, energy, or speed: We ran for dear life, with the dogs at our heels. Also, for one's life.
32.for the life of one, as hard as one tries; even with the utmost effort: He can't understand it for the life of him.
33.get a life, to improve the quality of one's social and professional life: often used in the imperative to express impatience with someone's behavior.
34.not on your life, Informal. absolutely not; under no circumstances; by no means: Will I stand for such a thing? Not on your life!
35.take one's life in one's hands, to risk death knowingly: We were warned that we were taking our lives in our hands by going through that swampy area.
to the life, in perfect imitation; exactly: The portrait characterized him to the life.

Old 2007-02-23, 07:58 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
Hamma
PSU Admin

I need to point CNN to this thread.. Sobekeus just answered the question that has been burning man kind for millenia.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2007-02-23, 12:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

or he just made a play on words...

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
  PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > The Lounge