Experience - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: This is a drill; repeat, this IS a drill.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2011-05-31, 04:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
walking fishy
Private

Experience

In Planetside 2 I would much love to see better handling of how experience is shared.

For example,
I kick two tons of cr*p out of a tank and some lucky mossie comes along and get the last hit, earning it all the experience from the kill.

I would like to have the experience shared for all people who did damage. So if I did 70% of the damage I get 70% of the experience (for myself or my squad).

I'm sure there are many other ways the experience can be better shared, but this was on the top of my list.
Old 2011-05-31, 04:59 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
GTGD
First Sergeant

Re: Experience

I agree, though that may be too complicated. However I think assists of any kind should be worth some points, and you get an assist if you do at least 50% of the damage on your own.
Old 2011-05-31, 10:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Lorgarn
Master Sergeant

I agree with OP, you should be awarded by the amount of damage you do to your target.

Though I don't think the squad-members should get your full experience for your damage/kills, maybe 75% of what you get. Enough to keep 'em happy while still having a carrot for teamplay, and still enough for there to be a carrot to perform well yourself and get better.

Last edited by Lorgarn; 2011-05-31 at 10:52 AM.
Old 2011-05-31, 11:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Raymac
Brigadier General

The way it is now is a little annoying, but I figure it kind of evens out. For every time I lay into a BFR with my reaver and some Lightning comes along for the last hit and gets all the exp, I have a time where I finish off some BFR that somebody else softened up.

You don't want a system like in rpg's where you 'tag' a target and you get all the xp if you hit them first. Then you wouldn't see anyone go after a target that somebody else already engaged. I'd rather have kill stealing than everyone going 1v1. It would be nice for them to split the xp based on how much damage was done, like alot of shooters are now.
Old 2011-05-31, 01:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

I think some form of assist system is necessary. At the same time, it's the kill that really counts, not just damage done.
So I'd say, if you do significant damage to something that dies...say 20-25%...you get assist exp. from it, like 30-60% of the kill exp. Those percentages could change based on the target, A big old tank could give more assist exp than a grunt, as it's more of a team target.

OP: You self-censored "crap". Really? This is the internet.

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
Old 2011-05-31, 01:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Bags
Lieutenant General

Right now vehicles die exponentially faster the lower health they get... because no one fires at a full hp tank if it's not shooting them.

So yes, this is needed. Also, you should get squad XP while respawning.
Old 2011-05-31, 02:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
BlazingSun
Sergeant Major

BF BC2 handles that quite well.
Old 2011-06-01, 12:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
DviddLeff
Lieutenant Colonel

Some kind of assist points would be good, even if its just 25% of the total XP if you do at least 25% damage it would still be significant and get everyone shooting at every valid target.
Old 2011-06-01, 09:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Aractain
Major

Would like to point out the system of XP for doing damage. It adds a further layer of motivation to go after other targets.

You could even have XP bonuses for weapon types vs tagets to encourage the 'right weapons' for newer players (you put that info in the weapon tooltip).

It also means little odd things like doing damage but not killing which forces that enemy to repair or heal is actually rewarded (the issue of fast moving air being not worth fighting goes away for example).

(At top end you want something useful from XP to keep that gameplay mechancis working even at max level etc).

Without advanced XP and character progression machanics Planetside '2' will be left in the dust within a month of it actually being released. They need to secure this shit for real.
Old 2011-06-04, 12:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
CutterJohn
Colonel

Simplist solution is just rewarding experience for damaging the enemies, along with a smallish amount of experience for the killing blow. Theres nothing extra to track, the rules are simple, and it rewards everyone. Want experience? Do damage to the enemy and kill them. Driving the enemy off or forcing them to abandon their vehicle is important to the war effort as well.

Besides which, experience for kills only in a large battlefield just means you are relying on the RNG gods to grant you exp.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion