Back after 4 years. What Do I need to Know? - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: From time to time, they actually do come in peace.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2011-07-19, 02:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Dragoneye
Private

Back after 4 years. What Do I need to Know?

Hey all,

I've just recently dipped back into some Planetside in my spare time- but it's been 4 years since I've last looked into the game. I've been trying to find some updated information on hard weapon statistics etc; but everything at PSU and Planetside Syndicate looks like it contains out-of-date information.

So, I've been testing myself, and picking up anecdotal info.

Aside from the CE stuff- Have there been any important balance changes? I've noticed that the Lasher (formerly my favorite gun ): ) now is a completely different weapon (or so it seems), and the T.T.K. on it considering the average dodge rate feels higher than most medium assault weapons.

Lasher still worth it for the VS? Or should I go back to my Rockleting days from beta when it comes to killing MCGers

So-- any other major changes/tips about the current meta to offer olbies returning to the game?
Old 2011-07-19, 05:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Re: Back after 4 years. What Do I need to Know?

BFRs now suck. There was another nerf to them after you left making them more useless. Good or bad depending on your opinion of them.

I don't know if this was after your time, but there was a AV buff for the Striker, Phoenix, and Lancer against all vehicles besides buggies. Buggies actually got a armor buff to compensate for the additional damage.

Through an event there was added armor onto the lightning, skeeter, and reaver. It never ended up getting patched out for some reason.

TR Maxes got a new mode called overdrive. This allows the max to fire more rapidly for a short amount of time to compensate for the lock down ability. You can tell this by a red shield.

There was a hacking buff with expert hack and viruses. Expert allows for 10 second resecures, buffing pain fields, and removing viruses. Viruses can disable radar, benefits, put additional NTU drain on bases, and even hack spits and wall turrets from the enemy to your side. The TREK disables vehicles for a short amount of time from firing and makes them slower.

They added in the Galaxy Gunship. The right crew can level an entire CY. These got nerfed heavily from the first intro, but are still deadly.

JH trishot doesn't work anymore. You are luck to be able to make it work on agile which is rare.

Probably is more, but this is all I can remember.
Old 2011-07-24, 07:05 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Rokazulu
Private

I'm also thinking of picking this game up again.

How is the population?

If you don't learn how to deprogram your own mind, the world will program it for you.
Old 2011-07-25, 11:52 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

NC had a pop lock and about 50-60 other players running around on other conts. Not to shabby if you ask me.
Old 2011-07-25, 01:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
NapalmEnima
Contributor
AGN Field Reporter

Lots of new deployables/engy stuff:
  • You can deploy a force field generator, a tank trap, or something similar to a wall-gun with a new engy gizmo. 9x3. They fill up your inventory fast.

You can upgrade wall guns with a 75mm or flack gun (which expires after a while).

Cloaked spitfires and flak spitfires (with different names).

Sensor jammers (like a motion sensor only it pokes a hole in enemy radar.

All those new engy tricks come with new certs. 3 or 4 of them IIRC.

---

Cloaked air transport: The Phantom. Holds... 6? Including the pilot.

The old "Heavy Ground Transport" has been upgunned. It still has the two 75mms, but now has a couple 20mm as well. It also has a cow-catcher-spikey-thingy on the front. They look pretty epic. You actually see them on the field now from time to time.

The Lightning's 3rd person view is no longer locked forward, so driving and gunning at the same time is Noticeably Harder.

New pistols? All the empires picked up a 10mm pistol with custom ammo.

Some new weapons: A scout sniper rifle that is a bonus weapon for having an account at least... 3? years old.

A flame thrower, the Dragon. Another freebee if you've been around long enough. In the same group, there's a new rocket launcher that lets you designate a distance at which the round will explode, but can't be dumbfired. Decent against infantry behind cover, but I have yet to hit a vehicle with one. Forget hitting aircraft.

Rexo armor is now a free cert if your account is at least 5? years old.

-------

EDIT: Population? I haven't seen a pop-lock yet since I came back a couple weeks ago, but I have seen the "100+ slots left" read out drop down into the 50s. I've heard of pop locks recently, I just haven't actually seen one myself.

Last edited by NapalmEnima; 2011-07-25 at 01:04 PM.
Old 2011-07-25, 01:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
DviddLeff
Lieutenant Colonel

Evenings you can pretty much be sure of a pop lock now.
Old 2011-07-25, 02:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Raymac
Brigadier General

Yeah, the pops dropped slightly after the Free 45 days expired, but they seem to be back up now. Yesterday, NC had a pop-lock on Hossin, and there was a 20-man queue, while there were still a couple of other smaller fights going on.

Short answer, pops are awesome for now.
Old 2011-07-26, 01:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Alox
Private

Pick up a chaingun and get rolling, your empire needs you!
Old 2011-08-01, 04:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Kechiro
Private

Saw a couple pop-locks today and Thursday night on Cyssor. Just fyi.

With the new additions, there is a TON.. I mean a FUCKING TON of AA now it seems. Me and my trusty Reaver may just be having a bad couple days but I get Missile locked and AA bombarded sometimes before I can even begin my approach on towers/bases. But I'm stubborn so I deal with it. Swoop in, throw off a few rockets and if it doesn't kill anything I AB away, tail set firmly between my legs.

As for the free stuff, it's pretty awesome. I didn't know about the free Rexo, just thought I was bugged for a while lol. As for the free sniper rifle, I haven't gotten that. Got the other free stuff though. The free "rocket launcher" is just for lawlz imo. Don't bother trying to use it indoors like I've seen a couple people do.. (running into a tower with something that requires a range setting and no free firing, really?) But the flamethrower is pretty beastly if you can get close enough to your target (useful for people camping RIGHT outside doorways); it also shoots fireballs BUT I'm not sure how good the damage is.. Possibly as good as plasma nades? But the ammo for that thing is massive and takes up a ton of space and the fireballs take half a clip per use.

Summary: Yay free stuff. Yay new stuff. Yay decent population.

FML to AA.
Old 2011-08-01, 07:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Firefly
Contributor
Major General

Originally Posted by Kechiro View Post
The free "rocket launcher" is just for lawlz imo. Don't bother trying to use it indoors like I've seen a couple people do.. (running into a tower with something that requires a range setting and no free firing, really?)
It's an out-of-doors weapon. Any idiot that tries using it indoors deserves to be stabbed in the cock with a chainblade set to VROOM.
Old 2011-08-02, 06:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Kechiro
Private

Rofl I know. I've never had any luck with the thing outdoors either, but I had to chuckle to myself and /facepalm when I say someone running down a hallway with it during a base take over.

Oh well.. Free meatshield!
Old 2011-08-02, 07:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Firefly
Contributor
Major General

Originally Posted by Kechiro View Post
Rofl I know. I've never had any luck with the thing outdoors either, but I had to chuckle to myself and /facepalm when I say someone running down a hallway with it during a base take over.

Oh well.. Free meatshield!
I experimented with it a few nights ago (Sunday night, on the Battle Islands). Against static targets, specifically guys on base walls that avail themselves of cover afforded by the merlons on the walls, it can be a great weapon. It's not a long-range weapon, however. The CoF on that thing is ridiculous. Best bet is medium range and to aim directly above the target.

It also can be used to spam an open door *IF* you are below the door and need to AoE spam the doorway. This, however, is only marginally reliable.
Old 2011-08-02, 09:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Kechiro
Private

Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
I experimented with it a few nights ago (Sunday night, on the Battle Islands). Against static targets, specifically guys on base walls that avail themselves of cover afforded by the merlons on the walls, it can be a great weapon. It's not a long-range weapon, however. The CoF on that thing is ridiculous. Best bet is medium range and to aim directly above the target.

It also can be used to spam an open door *IF* you are below the door and need to AoE spam the doorway. This, however, is only marginally reliable.
Yeah, which is kinda what I meant as just for lawlz. Too situational to really want to carry it around everywhere. Besides that it takes up quite a bit of space and the ammo does too iirc.
Old 2011-08-05, 11:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Bullseyebill
Private

Hey, im trying to activate my 45 days of free play. Im an old suscriber from 2003 and I havnt played in a long time. How to I activate my 45 days? How to I access the game from the launcher? When I open the launcher, it says "This program cannot be displayed" and there is no button i can click to launch planetside.

I then tried buying a month subscription. It says it cost me $0.00 and I received a confirmation email, but yet still the launcher gives me no way to play the game.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated, I too want to come back and play again.

Thank you
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion