Your thoughts on PS2 story decision. - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: We will miss you Auraxis!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2011-07-21, 07:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
IceyCold
Master Sergeant

Your thoughts on PS2 story decision.

I have not seen anything talking about this and yet it is something that I probably would rate as a major up for Planetside 2. And what is that you ask?

Making the sequel a revisit to the original story.

Basically I always liked the story for Planetside but always felt it didn't really get fleshed out very well, the devs put some thought into it and you can tell with how they explain everything from respawning to vehicle husks despawning. But I felt that we never really got a feel for the people and ideologies behind the different factions; or even the exact events that led to the Auraxian War. And once the bending happened I felt they kind of abandoned that attention to detail for more absurd story elements.

With Planetside 2 it seems the devs are retconing all of the silly Bending crap and making a game that once again tries to give us a solid understanding of the world we are fighting on; even more so it seems they are trying to etell the original story, only better. And I really hope they keep with that, and give us some interesting lore to look at and read to give the new Auraxian War a sense of scale and magnitude besides just the scale of the actual game.

It might just be me, and I might be alone on my own little lore island here, but I would really like to see more of the lore of Planetside and it's universe.

So how about you guys (and gals), what are your thoughts on the lore of Planetside?
Old 2011-07-21, 07:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Death2All
Major

Misc Info
Re: Your thoughts on PS2 story decision.

Apparently the story was actually ripped from another game

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metal_Fatigue

There are some similarities. I haven't played the game but apparently they copied it down to the very three empires, colors and everything.

Personally, the story was alright. It was there, and that's all it really meant to me. The game came first, story wasn't all that important.

Death2AllVS/TR/NC
Rekeer
AliENaTiON
Old 2011-07-21, 07:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Bags
Lieutenant General

Wait, Planetside had a story? I thought this was a shooter.
Old 2011-07-21, 07:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
MgFalcon
Captain

I've always loved back stories to games, hopefully in PS2 they'll nail it. And for once I feel that this lore will be good for a change. None of the WoW crap!
Old 2011-07-21, 07:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Death2All
Major

Misc Info

Originally Posted by MgFalcon View Post
I've always loved back stories to games, hopefully in PS2 they'll nail it. And for once I feel that this lore will be good for a change. None of the WoW crap!
I'd be so thrilled to find out that the ancient Vanu aliens are actually Night Elves.

Death2AllVS/TR/NC
Rekeer
AliENaTiON
Old 2011-07-21, 07:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Bags
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by DeeTwoEh View Post
I'd be so thrilled to find out that the ancient Vanu aliens are actually Night Elves.
Reminds me of that one Radant video.
Old 2011-07-21, 08:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
stylus
Private

The story line that I noticed most were the stories that we made every time we loaded the game up. Sure, there was a setting - but the game play was so open ended that we just made our own story lines in that setting without even knowing it... and I'm not talking about role playing.

This was made apparent to me when I reviewed some of my old videos.

Last edited by stylus; 2011-07-21 at 08:41 PM.
Old 2011-07-21, 08:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Desoxy
Corporal

I usually like to dig a little into the backstory and for PlanetSide 1 it was alright at launch. I am very glad that PlanetSide 2 is a reimagining of PlanetSide 1 rather than a continuation of the story.

Since this is a shooter I acknowledge that we won't be going on epic quests and read a lot of backstory. But I would like it if there were clues to Auraxis' backstory in the environment that you see (or ignore) while playing. In addition to that the story could be further expanded via special events etc down the line.
Old 2011-07-21, 08:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Soothsayer
Contributor
Sergeant Major

Around launch, it gave me comfort thinking that the original Auraxians (the actual Vanu) were watching over the fights, biding their time to exert the omnipotent powers they had gained via by ascending to a new plane of existence (possibly by fighting over the control of nanites which gave them their immense power and technological abilities).

This aspect was minimally developed. The Oshur fossil could have played into the mythology, the Aftershock was an afterthought to the story. It was my understanding that the Vanu Sovereignty worshipped the Auraxians (not necessarily just their technology) but that idea also petered out.

There was a lot that could have been done, but it just never happened...
Old 2011-07-21, 09:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
SKYeXile
Major General

I still think ps2 will tie with the story if ps1, I think the bending will still have happened, but taken place in another system with duplicate clones. While ps2 will take place after the bending on the original auraxis that still exists, and follow A different evolution...eg no mention of bfrs.
Old 2011-07-21, 10:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
opticalshadow
First Sergeant

i know most of the story in ps1 was told in the orginal install screen. it was kind of a cool concept, empire stranded and then it schisms into an un ending war. i wouldnt mind some farther back story on it, at the time it was enough.
Old 2011-07-22, 01:19 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
CutterJohn
Colonel

The 'story' in PS1 was completely irrelevant to anything. All it did, if you even bothered to read the manual, is explain why you didn't die, and why they were fighting.

I expect the story in PS2 to be just as irrelevant to gameplay. They can change it how they wish.
Old 2011-07-22, 02:06 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
Talek Krell
Lieutenant Colonel

I liked the backstory in PS1 alright. It provided a little context beyond "red mens shoot lots, blue mens shoot hard, purple mens are shiny, GO".
Old 2011-07-22, 12:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Synnoc
Contributor
Private

If they (re)do the story right, it could add a lot to the experience. It's important from a social and team-building perspective to identify with your empire and against the other empires, so if there are story reasons to help reinforce that, I think people will embrace it. It may only be superficially for some, but creating friends and frenemies is made smoother by story.
Old 2011-07-22, 12:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Sir B Smythe
Corporal

Nice to have a story for those who want it, me.... I just want to kill stuff!
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion