PSU: I'll REK you, you stupid hacker.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > The Lounge

Old 2011-12-12, 03:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
SuperMorto
Lieutenant Colonel

Morto testing his voice for planetside 247

EDIT* there are other videos in this thread that need you feedback! Thanks in advance!

Questions?

Hello all, welcome to planetside universe
Morto
About planetside 247

Q. Can you heart me correctly?

Q. Do I talk to fast?

Q. Do you think I could commentate?

Q. what do you think I could do to improve?

Q. Do you think I should just look elsewhere for other commentators?

Feedback please ill do more of these try and get up to speed if you guys think I have what it take Bare in mind this was a big jump for me, and also my first try

Thanks in advance!

Morto.

Last edited by SuperMorto; 2011-12-14 at 04:48 PM.
Old 2011-12-12, 04:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
SuperMorto
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Morto testing his voice for planetside 247

Hehe!

Getting feedback of you lot is like getting blood from a stone!! (edit*)

Last edited by SuperMorto; 2011-12-12 at 05:33 PM.
Old 2011-12-13, 02:47 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Bittermen
Sergeant Major

It sounds distorted plus a bit of noise. It could be the quality of your mic.

Your pace is a bit slow. Don't talk too fast though! I think you've got the right voice just not the right equipment.
Old 2011-12-13, 02:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
SuperMorto
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by Bittermen View Post
It sounds distorted plus a bit of noise. It could be the quality of your mic.

Your pace is a bit slow. Don't talk too fast though! I think you've got the right voice just not the right equipment.
Cheers Bitterman, I know the quality of my mic is a bit bad, in fact the set-up im using isn't the best. I was just wanting to start making a move on this. See if I can get over the talking on-line hurdle.

Cheers for the feedback, I think next ill try some in game footage, see if I can describe what's going on within the game while playing.

Also I done a little prep for the above video. I wrote a few things down before hand.

Cheers again.

Morto.
Old 2011-12-13, 10:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Coreldan
Colonel

It does indeed sound quite distorted. You might wanna even consider getting some cheap homestudio stuff, but that would end up closer to 100€ to get the required stuff. But if you are planning to be talking a lot, decent audio quality could be good. If you are interested, I can give you some hints what to get as I have a small home studio set up.

That said, if room and mobility isn't a huge problem, the above setup I'm thinking is what I much prefer using over to my normal gaming headset, even if that means a big microphone on a mic stand, but the quality is just so superior. (Example:
A popfilter would pretty much be needed/really good to have as well, which I do not have in those voiceovers. It fades away those p, f, h, and other exhaled letters from sounding so distinctively.

The talking was sometimes a bit fastish, especially combined with your brittish accent that is generally speaking often a bit hard to understand to non-native speakers. Then again, if you are gonna commentate live footage, you can't really take your time with the speaking (sports commentators come to mind )

Core - Lieutenant | HIVE | Auraxis
Visit us at http://www.wasp-inc.org and YouTube

Last edited by Coreldan; 2011-12-13 at 10:18 AM.
Old 2011-12-13, 11:59 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
SuperMorto
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by Coreldan View Post
It does indeed sound quite distorted. You might wanna even consider getting some cheap homestudio stuff, but that would end up closer to 100€ to get the required stuff. But if you are planning to be talking a lot, decent audio quality could be good. If you are interested, I can give you some hints what to get as I have a small home studio set up.

That said, if room and mobility isn't a huge problem, the above setup I'm thinking is what I much prefer using over to my normal gaming headset, even if that means a big microphone on a mic stand, but the quality is just so superior. (Example: VS story voiceover)

A popfilter would pretty much be needed/really good to have as well, which I do not have in those voiceovers. It fades away those p, f, h, and other exhaled letters from sounding so distinctively.

The talking was sometimes a bit fastish, especially combined with your brittish accent that is generally speaking often a bit hard to understand to non-native speakers. Then again, if you are gonna commentate live footage, you can't really take your time with the speaking (sports commentators come to mind )
thanks for the feedback Core, as always its appreciated

I have all of the above, just they aint setup atm, I was using a compression mic in the recording above, but my setup is a little quick fix for now until the computer room is finished. Hopefully, that wont be to long

Im mainly doing this to get over the hurdle of talking to people over the net, im not to fussed on quality atm, but will be a bigger issue when the new PC and room are here.

Thanks again and I take all advice and help on-board
Old 2011-12-14, 03:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
SuperMorto
Lieutenant Colonel

feedback is great people, here is my new vid, I know the music is a little over powering at some points, ill be working on that

Old 2011-12-14, 03:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Coreldan
Colonel

Although I gave this feedback to Morto already on MSN, but I'll paste it here as well.

gotta be careful with background music
it often easily obstructs the actual speech while not brining that much
especially annoyed at one SWTOR preview
there was some crap music really loud to entire time and you had to work to understand what she was talking
but overall sound quality was pretty good now
popfilter should seal the deal, pretty much
but even without it its ok

Core - Lieutenant | HIVE | Auraxis
Visit us at http://www.wasp-inc.org and YouTube
Old 2011-12-14, 04:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
SuperMorto
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by Coreldan View Post
Although I gave this feedback to Morto already on MSN, but I'll paste it here as well.

gotta be careful with background music
it often easily obstructs the actual speech while not brining that much
especially annoyed at one SWTOR preview
there was some crap music really loud to entire time and you had to work to understand what she was talking
but overall sound quality was pretty good now
popfilter should seal the deal, pretty much
but even without it its ok
Cheers Core, its nice to see you post it so others know what you are thinking

I was going to try a gaming footage cometary, but it seems I am a little tipsy lol!

So this might be tomorrow

Also the new room is taking shape and the funds for the new PC are on their way, so should see a massive jump in quality and production soon. Also im looking into getting a massive amount of content for the channels. Some of it will be created by me, some by other folks on this iste, (some one day by Hamma!) and some I will steal!!! (the Microsoft/Google tactic!) haha!

Last edited by SuperMorto; 2011-12-14 at 04:54 PM.
Old 2011-12-14, 04:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
SuperMorto
Lieutenant Colonel

Im starting to be a little more confident about my voice. Now can I deliver a good stream?....

We will see.
Old 2011-12-14, 10:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Xyntech
Brigadier General

Big improvement from the first video to the second. Just always make sure the background music is very low in the mix if you use it.

I know you wanna build hype for PS2, but having some time before beta hits and the real content starts to flow will give you time to work out bugs and get comfy. Maybe you could put some practice in with footage from the first game, either gotten from modern Planetside or videos from the past. Obviously that's not going to be the best thing for promoting Planetside 2 to new players, but it it will help you get ready so that you can instantly start streaming real PS2 content once the NDA ends in beta.
  PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > The Lounge