Censoring - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Prefered by spammers everywhere.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-02-12, 09:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
xSquirtle
Staff Sergeant

Exclamation Censoring

If there is one thing I must ask all developers, do not to enforce harsh censoring practices.

I understand that SOE has a company wide policy when it comes to profanity words.

But I do beg the development team and future mod's not to enforce it.

There's nothing more annoying then playing a game for several hours, essentially committing genocide to thousands of players, and getting muted or banned because I used the words 'Fuck' or 'Fuck you ass hole!'(essentially attacking another, even after he or she killed me or vise versus).

It simply does not add up in my opinion.

Game is going to be rated teen+ right? Why not treat it as such!

Originally Posted by UrielVS
Looking from the outside in. The game does not represent Planetside. With original concepts that players across the board accepted with open arms; have been taken out. Developers are creating the next COD on a massive scale. Generic players who never saw or even felt the uniqueness of the game, will only continue to nod their heads with blinding satisfaction, not realizing what basic functionality the game will lose in the process.
Old 2012-02-12, 10:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
SKYeXile
Major General

Re: Censoring

*This post has been removed by nelson muntz, reason: I'm a dick.*

SKYeXile TRF - GM
FUTURE CREW - HIGH COUNCIL
Old 2012-02-12, 10:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
NivexQ
Contributor
First Sergeant

Misc Info

Originally Posted by xSquirtle View Post
If there is one thing I must ask all developers, do not to enforce harsh censoring practices.

I understand that SOE has a company wide policy when it comes to profanity words.

But I do beg the development team and future mod's not to enforce it.

There's nothing more annoying then playing a game for several hours, essentially committing genocide to thousands of players, and getting muted or banned because I used the words 'Fuck' or 'Fuck you ass hole!'(essentially attacking another, even after he or she killed me or vise versus).

It simply does not add up in my opinion.

Game is going to be rated teen+ right? Why not treat it as such!
Agreed.

NivexTR - TR - 30/5 - -=The Black Sheep=-
SYNxNivexQ - NC - 26/4 - [:::::SYN:::::]
NivexVS - VS - 19/2? - SYNDICATEVS?

http://www.twitch.tv/nivexq
I don't broadcast much, but you never know
Old 2012-02-12, 10:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Sirisian
Colonel

I hope they script it to ban people that swear or use profane language.

No, but seriously I remember playing Planetside 1 with older parents and they'd let their little kids play and join TS with us so it's important to keep things to a decent maturity. The last thing SOE wants is chat filled with a bunch of 13 year old screaming profanities on the open voice system and in the visible chat. I personally do not see the reason for profane language in a game.

Even on these forums sometimes when people use random swears when they get emotional it makes me think they're just little kids even though their profile says their over 30.
Old 2012-02-12, 10:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Xaine
Major

So you're comparing committing 'genocide' in a video game, to sending messages to people in the game after you've killed them/they killed you - saying things like 'Fuck you asshole!'

Do i have that right?

Well, for a start. You're not actually committing genocide, you're playing a game. You raging at people in the game and swearing at them, calling them cunts, dicks etc is actually directed at another person. Not everyone likes being raged at.
Old 2012-02-12, 10:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Graywolves
General

I used profane words in PS1 I'm going to use profane words in PS2.

That's just who I am.
Old 2012-02-12, 10:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Furret
First Sergeant

Misc Info

There are ignore lists for that purpose. But even still, make the language filter a toggle on or off, makes everyone happy.
Old 2012-02-12, 10:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
HitbackTR
Sergeant

Profanity was a pre-requisite of hate tells in PS1 and was the source of much hilarity. Censorship against such profanity is counterproductive to my gameplay experience, (you fucking douchebags).

It was even funnier in command chat, i.e., "rawk out with your cawk out" on Markov TR circa 2003-2006.

Last edited by HitbackTR; 2012-02-12 at 10:22 PM.
Old 2012-02-12, 10:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
xSquirtle
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Xaine View Post
So you're comparing committing 'genocide' in a video game, to sending messages to people in the game after you've killed them/they killed you - saying things like 'Fuck you asshole!'

Do i have that right?

Well, for a start. You're not actually committing genocide, you're playing a game. You raging at people in the game and swearing at them, calling them cunts, dicks etc is actually directed at another person. Not everyone likes being raged at.
But you like being shot, killed, and anything else in between? Case and point, if your old enough to surround your self with video game genocide, then your old enough to handle a couple of choice words your way.

Originally Posted by Sirisian
I hope they script it to ban people that swear or use profane language.

No, but seriously I remember playing Planetside 1 with older parents and they'd let their little kids play and join TS with us so it's important to keep things to a decent maturity. The last thing SOE wants is chat filled with a bunch of 13 year old screaming profanities on the open voice system and in the visible chat. I personally do not see the reason for profane language in a game.

Even on these forums sometimes when people use random swears when they get emotional it makes me think they're just little kids even though their profile says their over 30.
That is a fair argument, but if their parents do not care if they are playing games such as First Person Shooters; then that seems more of a parenting issue, then a FOS issue. So why would you want to demonize the whole community, because of those kids with parents that should automatically expect the worst out of these games.

Originally Posted by UrielVS
Looking from the outside in. The game does not represent Planetside. With original concepts that players across the board accepted with open arms; have been taken out. Developers are creating the next COD on a massive scale. Generic players who never saw or even felt the uniqueness of the game, will only continue to nod their heads with blinding satisfaction, not realizing what basic functionality the game will lose in the process.
Old 2012-02-12, 10:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

I love BF3 servers that warn a ban language when in-game voice is highly profane.

"I'm getting fuck up the ass over here" ect.

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
Old 2012-02-12, 10:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Marth Koopa
Banned

I hope punishments for vulgar language are harsh and dealt out swiftly. Nothing is lamer than people who use foul language to seem cool and edgy.

Grow up and use real words
Old 2012-02-12, 10:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Saintlycow
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Rbstr View Post
I love BF3 servers that warn a ban language when in-game voice is highly profane.

"I'm getting fuck up the ass over here" ect.
Its so hypocritical

This always gives me laugh
Old 2012-02-12, 10:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

Originally Posted by Marth Koopa View Post
I hope punishments for vulgar language are harsh and dealt out swiftly. Nothing is lamer than people who use foul language to seem cool and edgy.

Grow up and realize that vulgarity is a perfectly acceptable part of any language. Language would be a very boring thing without swearing.
Old 2012-02-12, 10:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
DayOne
Captain

Fuck Is a real word. It's also one of the most versatile in the English language.

Should you watch the video? Abso-fucking-lutely!

Old 2012-02-12, 11:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
SKYeXile
Major General

Just a note: posting that swearing isn't cool, makes you the opposite of cool. (thats lame, not hot btw)

SKYeXile TRF - GM
FUTURE CREW - HIGH COUNCIL
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion