Falling damage Q - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: WTF, I got wallhacked.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-05-17, 08:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
windlord
Corporal

Falling damage Q

Gday folks,

I just saw totalbiscuits awesome vid today and it got me wondering about falling damage.

At a coupla point the player abandons their aerospace vehicle and falls to the surface of the planet and survives? wtf? I say this because the vehicle falls and explodes.

Ok you have a gadget in your suit that protects you from gravity... sooo why wouldn't that gadget be in your vehicle?

There seems to be a logic disconnect here that needs to be resolved due to its high impact on game dynamics.

Thoughts?
Old 2012-05-17, 08:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Sledgecrushr
Colonel

Re: Falling damage Q

Jetpack
Old 2012-05-17, 09:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
windlord
Corporal

Ok there's a jetpack but do all types have it?

I dunno if its just the jetpack. cool I guess but to me that would mean every pilot would be a jetpack dude?
Old 2012-05-17, 09:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Artimus
Master Sergeant

He says he uses a jet pack to land and if you notice hr does take on some damage when he first lands
Old 2012-05-17, 09:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
CutterJohn
Colonel

Originally Posted by windlord View Post
Ok there's a jetpack but do all types have it?

I dunno if its just the jetpack. cool I guess but to me that would mean every pilot would be a jetpack dude?
Only one class has it. Seems likely it will be a popular class for pilots for that reason though. Just like engineers will be popular for tanks in order to repair them.
Old 2012-05-17, 09:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Graywolves
General

Only light assault has jetpacks. He had to use most of his jetpack energy (bottom right) to land safely and even then he lost a good portion of shields (bottom right again)
Old 2012-05-17, 09:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Vash02
Major

I think its going to be an unlockable to get the PS2 ejection seat equivalent. but yeah he was light assault which has the jump pack so he was able to slow his descent.
Old 2012-05-17, 09:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Xyntech
Brigadier General

He took a bit of damage when he landed from slightly higher up, but yeah he was slowing his descent with the jump pack.

Only the Light Assault class has that (as far as we know). It's their biggest specialty, just as medics specialty is healing, engis repair and build, Infiltrators turn invisible, etc.

I plan to mostly play as Light Assault and as a Scythe pilot. Not specifically because of this feature, but it will be a very nice bonus.
Old 2012-05-17, 10:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
IMMentat
Contributor
First Sergeant

TB also jumped from the second mossie in heavy assault gear, roughly 40% shield damage on landing.

I would assume that the PS1 hot-drop effect (prevents fall damage when leaving an in-flight aircraft) continued into PS2. That or an ejector seat was put into his flight setup.

Last edited by IMMentat; 2012-05-17 at 10:03 PM.
Old 2012-05-17, 11:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Bags
Lieutenant General

@Elf, falling damage is in the game.
Old 2012-05-18, 01:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Captain1nsaneo
Major

Misc Info

The ability to have no fall damage is going to be implemented, we know the gal has drop pods of some sort and a bailing system is a piece of equipment for aircraft. I agree that more info would be liked but most of these questions are fairly technical and sadly won't be covered in interviews
Old 2012-05-18, 02:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Toppopia
Major

I hope when you bail out you have a parachute or some device that slows you down alot so that you are easy pickings, because falling really fast and taking no damage is stupid, and dying with almost no way to prevent it is a little annoying, so maybe have a parachute that can be deployed by hitting the jump button once then hitting another button to deactivate, but then you lose it forever so you can't reactivate it in the same flight. But hopping back into an aircraft would give it back.
Old 2012-05-18, 02:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
Zekeen
Major

Originally Posted by Toppopia View Post
I hope when you bail out you have a parachute or some device that slows you down alot so that you are easy pickings, because falling really fast and taking no damage is stupid, and dying with almost no way to prevent it is a little annoying, so maybe have a parachute that can be deployed by hitting the jump button once then hitting another button to deactivate, but then you lose it forever so you can't reactivate it in the same flight. But hopping back into an aircraft would give it back.
PS1 had that, no parachute obviously, it's a barrier drop (energy field at the feet to protect on landing). However, in that video, I noticed he had NO barrier. It could be for a multitude of reasons -

A- They haven't added in the barrier yet

B- They no longer have the barrier for ejecting pilots

C- You don't get the barrier if you have a jet pack so you can land at your own leisure.
Old 2012-05-18, 02:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
Toppopia
Major

Originally Posted by Zekeen View Post
PS1 had that, no parachute obviously, it's a barrier drop (energy field at the feet to protect on landing). However, in that video, I noticed he had NO barrier. It could be for a multitude of reasons -

A- They haven't added in the barrier yet

B- They no longer have the barrier for ejecting pilots

C- You don't get the barrier if you have a jet pack so you can land at your own leisure.
Ah yes, the barrier idea would be good, but also slow you down so you are vulnerable because you jumped at high altitudes.
Old 2012-05-18, 04:13 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
Zekeen
Major

Originally Posted by Toppopia View Post
Ah yes, the barrier idea would be good, but also slow you down so you are vulnerable because you jumped at high altitudes.
I believe there will be ejection mods eventually. Maybe even adding in personal drop pods for fast safe descent. Higby already confirmed they will add Galaxy Drop Pods, so maybe for personal craft too?
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion