Faction Defection - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Wet and juicy.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-06-07, 08:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Khrusky
Staff Sergeant

Faction Defection

Essentially, I'm considering changing factions from my PS1 one and I was wondering if anyone else was in the same boat. PS1 players remaining loyal ought not to post as I'm sure they are in the majority here. I'd also be interested in hearing from any new players that are as yet undecided and are vacillating on their eventual faction selection.

I played Vanu in the original PlanetSide, mainly because they had much more tactical flexibility than the other factions. Their MAXes could use jump-jets, their tanks and jeeps could travel over water, and they had a simplified system for swapping their weapons between anti-armour and anti-infantry modes. I also felt that they looked the most interesting as they were clearly a human military but with an alien twist.

However, in PlanetSide 2 the AV/AAr switching has been removed, and the jump-jets have been outsourced to the light assault class. The increased draw distance has also made the magrider's hovering over water less useful in bridge battles as I'm pretty sure you'll now be a much bigger target than when you could emerge out of the fog.
I'm also not a fan of some crucial art design decisions for the new Vanu, particularly the Magrider and the Scythe. I also don't think the MAX is as cool as the other factions', but I could live with that.

My essential dilemma is that the Vanu still have the best looking basic infantry in the game, and a tactical advantage in the amphibious nature of the Magrider, but their aircraft just looks not aerodynamic enough, the Magrider looks a bit too ineffective without the turret, and they've lost a lot of their key combat advantages. (I'm unintersted in the relative combat differences of bullet-drop, RoF, individual hit damage, etc. as I like the strategy of the game more than the immediate tactics, and I could get used to any particular style).

I'm thinking of going TR as I really would rather not look like the paramilitary wing of Ryanair, and the Mosquito and Prowler look a lot better this time around.

I would like to hear any analysis of the factions that other people have done, particularly where the relative merits seem to be close for the factions they are torn between.

Drake Flight is a new EU TR Air Assault Outfit. PM me if you're interested in signing up.
Old 2012-06-07, 08:26 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
megamold
Second Lieutenant

Re: Faction Defection

my PS1 empire was TR, and i pretty much never wavered from it.
for PS2 my first (main) char will still be TR, but i'm liking the look of the NC so far, and would also like to get a better feeling of how they play.
so once it launches i will definatly be making an NC char to

oh and also one of the reasons i will be making a NC is because i want to fly a reaver from time to time ^^

Last edited by megamold; 2012-06-07 at 08:28 AM.
Old 2012-06-07, 08:28 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
kasiraghi
Corporal

Yeah, same... I was TR, and while I still think I'd enjoy playing TR I'm not a bit older and prefer the accuracy/short-burst style of the NC infantry.

The one potential deal-breaker is the air-unit. It looks like I'll prefer the Mosquito over the Reaver, and if that's true I will just make sure I cert my TR weapons to be more like NC (i.e. more damage, burst, need to aim better).
Old 2012-06-07, 08:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
MacXXcaM
Contributor
First Sergeant

I was playing NC in PS1 but I'm not even sure why... Guess it was out of reflex and I never changed it.

In PS2 I'm actually favoring NC because I really like their design. I'm going to try the other factions but I'm pretty much settled right now.
Old 2012-06-07, 08:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Novacane
Private

I was TR for PS1 but since my Outfit has long since fallen out of contact, and the fact I can't stand not flying the Reaver, I'll probably fight the good fight for the freedom of the NC in PS2.
Old 2012-06-07, 08:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
diLLa
Staff Sergeant

I'm not a PS1 vet, although I've played it a bit but never stuck to one faction.

I don't really look at the lore or looks, but decide purely on gameplay.

NC suits me best as I'm not a spray and prayer and i don't really like energy based weapons either.

NC will be my first choice, and VS probably second and TR as last. So I will pick NC first, and if I like it I'll stick to it, otherwise I'll check out VS after and eventually maybe TR.
Old 2012-06-07, 08:37 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Maarvy
Master Sergeant

Originaly vanu ....

This time not sure , other people i play with want to go NC and I do like there look .

But I think in the end Vanu being the underdog faction will win out again , its not all about looks .

Target rich enviroment's > Style .

We'll see .
Old 2012-06-07, 08:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
kadrin
Sergeant

Wow Khrusky, you and I are on the same page. It's actually weird reading my exact thoughts from someone else.
Old 2012-06-07, 08:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
maskedskull
Sergeant

As a newbie I was struggling to start with until I started looking more closely at the factions. Initially I was considering going with the TR, mostly because of TB but after discovering that they generally had a higher RoF I decided against it as I tend to favour slower firing weapons these days but after watching the streams it heightened my desire to go more of a pilot role...and would have liked maneuverability, which the Vanu have for vehicles.

Ultimately I've decided to go NC...but that is subject to change
Old 2012-06-07, 08:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Logri
Contributor
Staff Sergeant

Well, I started out in PS1 Beta as TR, in live I played VS (still with some love for TR though) and now in PS2 I'll be playing TR again.

I might make a VS alt or something for old times sake, but that all depends how well everything will work out.

I'll never play NC though, their n00bhammers.. I mean Jackhammers have made me hate them with a fiery passion, bunch of skill-less weekend warriors!!!

All your base are belong to us... eventually.
Old 2012-06-07, 08:59 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Xyntech
Brigadier General

So many traitors in here. All 3 empires ought to have a cease fire so we can line them all up and have them shot.

Damn respawn tubes. How are we supposed to deal with treason anymore? No wonder there is so much of it going on.
Old 2012-06-07, 09:02 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
LightningDriver
Corporal

I started the game as VS, played that faction for a few years, then switched to TR and have never looked back. I will take my secrets to the grave over why I switched factions.
Old 2012-06-07, 09:04 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
Spoof
Corporal

Started as a smurf in 2003, defected to barney around 2006.

I'll go with all three for variety, but focus as Vanu to begin with... and Elmo needs some loving this time around too.
Old 2012-06-07, 09:10 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
The Kush
Captain

Originally Posted by Xyntech View Post
So many traitors in here. All 3 empires ought to have a cease fire so we can line them all up and have them shot.

Damn respawn tubes. How are we supposed to deal with treason anymore? No wonder there is so much of it going on.
I second this
Old 2012-06-07, 09:26 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
captainkapautz
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Xyntech View Post

How about spawntubes that have the floor replaced with a woodchipper?

Slightly OT: Was TR in PS1, switched to NC later, when most of my outfit left, will most likely stay TR this time, but dayum DAT GAUSS is making it a hard decision.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion