I hope the map is quick and snappy. - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: SOE's first featured fansite
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-07-10, 08:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
MrBloodworth
Lieutenant Colonel

I hope the map is quick and snappy.

In Plantside one, one of the best things about the in game map was that it was REALLY quick to open and close, no load time, no pause, no fancy animation. Open..close.

This was really useful to set up personal way points ( I hope those return as well ), just open, right click the spot, and close. Less than 2 seconds.

I Hope they make sure this is always the case with Planetside 2 as well.
Old 2012-07-10, 08:25 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
CheeZeX
Corporal

Re: I hope the map is quick and snappy.

I actually really agree with this sentiment. Another thing that kinda bugged me but I'm reserving judgement is how when they were hovering over a item/customization, it took like 1/2 a second to a second to popup information regarding it.

I HATE that design choice. As a software developer it's one of the main complaints I receive from clients regarding old software and how they want that style of delayed information removed.

It almost feels slightly obnoxious and it wastes the end users time. There should be no delay.

EDIT: Unless that data is stored server side so it must query each time to receive the information, then the delay is justified. But if its clientside then it really shouldn't have a delay.

Last edited by CheeZeX; 2012-07-10 at 08:36 AM.
Old 2012-07-10, 08:34 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Dart
Second Lieutenant

Agree entirely.
Old 2012-07-10, 08:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
TazmamzaT
Sergeant

How fast was the load times for the maps (if any) in Higby's stream and E3? I forgot to make note of that. I think I do remember him opening up the map maybe once but I didn't take not of a load time. I hope not.
Old 2012-07-10, 08:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
SnipeGrzywa
Corporal

Misc Info

It was relatively quick. Was faster then the tooltip pop-up anyway
Old 2012-07-10, 10:28 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
MrBloodworth
Lieutenant Colonel

I'm just making a statement. If they pile a bunch of stuff on it that makes less quick than the original, utility is lost.
Old 2012-07-10, 10:37 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Xyntech
Brigadier General

I'm sure this is something that can be optimized during beta, but I do agree. The map should be extremely quick and responsive first and foremost, and look shiny and awesome as a secondary concern.
Old 2012-07-10, 11:13 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
TazmamzaT
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Xyntech View Post
I'm sure this is something that can be optimized during beta, but I do agree. The map should be extremely quick and responsive first and foremost, and look shiny and awesome as a secondary concern.
You should change your SIG, we have a date now =D
Old 2012-07-10, 11:16 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Xyntech
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by TazmamzaT View Post
You should change your SIG, we have a date now =D
The sig changes when higby cuts his hair. Soon is soon(TM) until it's here.
Old 2012-07-10, 11:19 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
TazmamzaT
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Xyntech View Post
The sig changes when higby cuts his hair. Soon is soon(TM) until it's here.
Oh yeah I forgot about the hair
Old 2012-07-10, 11:50 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
lolroflroflcake
Staff Sergeant

Personal way-points and a no frills quick-to-load-easy-to-use map are pretty much a must for this game considering how large it is. I'm sure there will be many instances of people who have a poorer sense of direction getting easily lost without a map and way-points.
Old 2012-07-10, 03:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Nemises
Sergeant

Originally Posted by CheeZeX View Post
.... Another thing that kinda bugged me but I'm reserving judgement is how when they were hovering over a item/customization, it took like 1/2 a second to a second to popup information regarding it.

I HATE that design choice.....
not sure I understand?..that is the concept of a tooltip..

Once you know what it is, you dont want the tooltip text popping up, you just click on it...if you can't remember / want to know what it is, then just pause for .5 second and the tooltip appears..

...this has been the standard for all guis since..I dunno, the 80's ?
Old 2012-07-10, 04:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Xyntech
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by TazmamzaT View Post
Oh yeah I forgot about the hair
And now it's sounding like I'll be able to change my sig pic as Higby gets his hair cut live on Thursday.

BETA!

Originally Posted by lolroflroflcake View Post
Personal way-points and a no frills quick-to-load-easy-to-use map are pretty much a must for this game considering how large it is. I'm sure there will be many instances of people who have a poorer sense of direction getting easily lost without a map and way-points.
Still, there is a lot of information and overlays that I'm sure they want to work into the map. This shouldn't come at the cost of it being quick and responsive, but at the same time it's understandable if all of the extra features aren't yet optimized.

They'll definitely have to cut down on bloat if their otherwise unable to speed the map up though.

Last edited by Xyntech; 2012-07-10 at 04:03 PM.
Old 2012-07-10, 05:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
ZaBa
Corporal

Originally Posted by CheeZeX View Post
I actually really agree with this sentiment. Another thing that kinda bugged me but I'm reserving judgement is how when they were hovering over a item/customization, it took like 1/2 a second to a second to popup information regarding it.

I HATE that design choice. As a software developer it's one of the main complaints I receive from clients regarding old software and how they want that style of delayed information removed.

It almost feels slightly obnoxious and it wastes the end users time. There should be no delay.

EDIT: Unless that data is stored server side so it must query each time to receive the information, then the delay is justified. But if its clientside then it really shouldn't have a delay.
The justification of course is that people who already know what things are don't want alt-text clogging up their screen every time they move their cursor across it.

The obvious solution being to set the trigger time to zero by default and put in an option to slow it down/remove alt-text entirely in user preferences. I've seen it done (can't recall where, EVE maybe?), but it could really do with being a much more common feature.

Originally Posted by Nemises View Post
not sure I understand?..that is the concept of a tooltip..

Once you know what it is, you dont want the tooltip text popping up, you just click on it...if you can't remember / want to know what it is, then just pause for .5 second and the tooltip appears..

...this has been the standard for all guis since..I dunno, the 80's ?
Users who know what they are doing well enough to not want tooltips are generally going to be experienced enough to be able to turn them off or slow them down in options; assuming that the majority of users would be largely competent was a pretty common failing among early programmers.

Knowing differently, we have no reason not to change things. "That's the way it's always been" is a really poor excuse.
Old 2012-07-11, 07:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Hamma
PSU Admin

It is quick and snappy

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion