Drop Zone is HOT - If the Spawn is Camped - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: I dont have anything clean enough to contribute. -Hamma
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 4.50 average. Display Modes
Old 2012-07-11, 08:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Karrade
First Sergeant

Drop Zone is HOT - If the Spawn is Camped

Hey all, simple idea.

From the footage so far camping spawn tubes was done, and it'll be more common when people know it gets them easy kills. - Just human nature, happened in PS1.

To address this:

The drop Zone is HOT message could come up, showing you the area has enemy camping there. You could do this with color indicators on the spawn points instead - green clear, orange enemy close, red enemy there (Hot Drop). Taking a cue from Orange/Red alert in PS1 - could be expanded to galaxies/SL spawns as well.

Serves the same purpose with colors or messages, whichever looks best.

Last edited by Karrade; 2012-07-11 at 08:25 AM.
Old 2012-07-11, 12:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Re: Drop Zone is HOT - If the Spawn is Camped

Spawn camping won't be a problem in PS2. As in if you get camped, you decided to get camped.
Old 2012-07-11, 12:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Hosp
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Baneblade View Post
Spawn camping won't be a problem in PS2. As in if you get camped, you decided to get camped.
Agreed.
Old 2012-07-11, 01:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Zekeen
Major

His suggestion is to allow an indicator so you know the risk of where you spawn. I think it's a great idea. Know what you're spawning into.
Old 2012-07-11, 01:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Talek Krell
Lieutenant Colonel

This is a pretty clever idea. Maybe not for drop podding but for spawn rooms definately. They'd just need to set it up so that troops outside of/in the room trigger the color change and presto.

Maybe exclude cloakers from the detection though? To facilitate sneaking through a spawn room, assuming such is ever necessary.
Old 2012-07-11, 01:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Neurotoxin
First Lieutenant

There are some spawn points with one-way doors where the user is safe til they exit. And the variety of spawn locations in PS2 is huge IIRC: all active owned bases, galaxy spawn points, and dropping on the squad leader's position.
Old 2012-07-11, 02:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Well, there are certainly going to be some sort of hex warnings like PS1 does for SOIs. But as for something specific to spawn camping... how would you figure that? Go by how long someone lived before they died?
Old 2012-07-11, 04:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Dagron
Captain

I agree, it's a great idea.

Well, there are certainly going to be some sort of hex warnings like PS1 does for SOIs. But as for something specific to spawn camping... how would you figure that? Go by how long someone lived before they died?
Enemy presence in a specific area near the spawn point. For example, more than 2 enemies within the spawn tube room, or more than 3 enemies within 10' of the spawn room, etc.

Last edited by Dagron; 2012-07-11 at 05:05 PM.
Old 2012-07-11, 05:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

But players will just avoid it if all it takes is an infil sitting afk near it. It will quickly be a common tactic and either the warning will be useless or it will work too well.
Old 2012-07-11, 05:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Dagron
Captain

The warning could not only be triggered by enemy proximity, but also be somewhat indicative of what kind of resistance to expect, things like: recent activity, if there are lots of people or just a few (no exact numbers), etc. That way one person stealthed nearby wouldn't discourage everyone from spawning there, it'd just warn them to be careful. It could even disregard stealthed players (no warning if you don't know they're there).

I agree that depending on how it's done exactly it may be a little too effective or not effective at all, but i still think the general idea is good.

Last edited by Dagron; 2012-07-11 at 05:28 PM.
Old 2012-07-11, 09:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Accuser
Sergeant Major

I thought spawn rooms were supposed to lock out enemy factions?
Why not just keep that locked until the base changes hands, then prevent further spawning for the previous owner...

I was under the impression that the rooms were specifically designed to prevent camping :- /
Old 2012-07-11, 09:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
vVRedOctoberVv
First Lieutenant

I would think you'd have a pretty good idea if you're likely to spawn into a "hot" zone. Are you coming in near an area of conflict? Then there is a distinct possibility it will be "hot". I declare this idea... UNNECESSARY!!!!!
Old 2012-07-12, 08:04 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
Karrade
First Sergeant

Basically it's to remove frustration, not a huge thing but a helpful thing none the less. Remove infil detection if that'll still be fun, and make it proximity based to the spawn point specifically.

Originally Posted by vVRedOctoberVv View Post
I would think you'd have a pretty good idea if you're likely to spawn into a "hot" zone. Are you coming in near an area of conflict? Then there is a distinct possibility it will be "hot". I declare this idea... UNNECESSARY!!!!!
Except the times when a couple of players are sitting there with shotguns facing the spawn tubes , which can and will happen, sometimes an entire squad will be there.

Originally Posted by Accuser View Post
I thought spawn rooms were supposed to lock out enemy factions?
Why not just keep that locked until the base changes hands, then prevent further spawning for the previous owner...

I was under the impression that the rooms were specifically designed to prevent camping :- /
I've seen the spawn room camped a few times in videos, I have no idea what the conditions need to be for the room to be camped

Close enemy proximity to the spawn point only. i.e the same room.

Last edited by Karrade; 2012-07-12 at 08:06 AM.
Old 2012-07-12, 08:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Karrade View Post
Close enemy proximity to the spawn point only. i.e the same room.
Well, if spawn rooms do have one way forcefields, that won't work.
Old 2012-07-12, 09:02 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
Karrade
First Sergeant

Well, if spawn rooms do have one way forcefields, that won't work.
If yes, and if then it won't be an issue. So far i've seen them with and without.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault