Full Load Temps - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: I wonder if this will fit... Uh... *Yanks hard* DAMN! It's stuck...
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum

Old 2012-08-09, 05:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Eaglez
Private

Full Load Temps

Ok so I just put together my new rig for PS2. I want to see how good my temps are before I start OC'ing my 2500k because I guess the game is processor heavy. My new rig is:

8GB RAM 1666
7950 Twin Frozr 3
ASRock Extreme4

I have been using Prime 95 to test out my temps and it maxed out at 72 C on one of the cores and 69-70 on the others. Is this high for stock cooling and stock speed? I am planning on getting a hyper 212 but until then I want to OC just a little, maybe to 3.7 or 4.0.

THanks
Old 2012-08-09, 05:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
NumbaOneStunna
Sergeant

Re: Full Load Temps

Pretty high for stock clocks/voltage, although you are on a stock cooler.

I would try 4ghz, stock voltage and see what the temps go up to. If it stays under 80c that should be good. Most agree 80c is the max safe temp for 24/7 use (Folding, SETI, etc.) I would not touch the voltage with a stock cooler. If it starts getting over 80c @ 4ghz then just lower it to 3.9, 3.8, etc Until you find the sweet spot.

Test with Prime95. IBT is stupid because no real-world program will ever heat your CPU like IBT does, although it is good to test the cooling capabilities of your system, its not a useful tool in determining if the system is stable or not.

Last edited by NumbaOneStunna; 2012-08-09 at 05:33 PM.
Old 2012-08-09, 06:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Eaglez
Private

Well I set it to 3.8 and the Core #1 hit 82 degrees within 3 mins. Does this mean I got a bad processor? I'm new to overclocking, but I have heard that different chips perform differently. I will have to get some arctic silver and a good heatsink and test from there :/
Old 2012-08-09, 07:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
NumbaOneStunna
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Eaglez View Post
Well I set it to 3.8 and the Core #1 hit 82 degrees within 3 mins. Does this mean I got a bad processor? I'm new to overclocking, but I have heard that different chips perform differently. I will have to get some arctic silver and a good heatsink and test from there :/
Doesn't mean you have a bad chip, just means the stock intel HSF combo is the worst I have ever seen in my life.

Also, you are probably using the stock TIM pad too.

You should get the Coolermaster 212 if you are cash strapped, its a very good cooler especially for $20.
Old 2012-08-09, 08:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Eaglez
Private

I was planning on getting that cooler, but I don't think it will fit in my case.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811144266

The 200mm fan on the side sticks in about a half an inch, and I guess the 212 is 6 inches tall. Is there another heatsink as good as that one but shorter?
Old 2012-08-09, 08:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
NumbaOneStunna
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Eaglez View Post
I was planning on getting that cooler, but I don't think it will fit in my case.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811144266

The 200mm fan on the side sticks in about a half an inch, and I guess the 212 is 6 inches tall. Is there another heatsink as good as that one but shorter?
Check here:

http://www.frostytech.com/top5_lowprofile_heatsinks.cfm
Old 2012-08-12, 01:43 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
fb III IX ca IV
Corporal

They usually design those cases so that a tower style heatsink like the Hyper 212 will just barely fit. You should see if anyone else has made a build with that case that uses one.

NumbaOneStunna where can you buy the Hyper 212 for $20?
Old 2012-08-12, 11:00 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
NumbaOneStunna
Sergeant

Originally Posted by fb III IX ca IV View Post
NumbaOneStunna where can you buy the Hyper 212 for $20?
In-store CompUSA, probably Microcenter or Fry's too.

CompUSA has is on their website for 25 bucks, still a good price. http://www.compusa.com/applications/...0641&CatId=798

You can get it here for 20 bucks too: http://www.pcrush.com/product/Comput...ler?refid=1238
Old 2012-08-12, 04:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Eaglez
Private

That was one of the complaints of some reviews on Newegg about the case. I don't really feel like ordering a hyper 212 and having to go through the hassle of trying to return it if it doesn't fit. I was just going to go with the Cool Master GeminII 524 heatsink since it looks to perform about the same as the 212, but it blows the air down toward the motherboard and gets drawn out the top and back.
  PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum