Is the Galaxy a viable spawn? - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Spam, the only meat that can be found on this site.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-08-31, 10:04 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Hamma
PSU Admin

Is the Galaxy a viable spawn?

The Galaxy is now our mobile spawn point and with the introduction of a deployment mode and shields it's quite a powerhouse on the ground. Do you think it's viable? Does it need more tools to be functional or should the Sunderer also be made a spawn?

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2012-08-31, 10:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
EVILPIG
Contributor
Colonel

Re: Is the Galaxy a viable spawn?

The Galaxy is absolutely a viable spawn point and making the Sundy a spawn is unnecessary. So is the AMS.

One of the biggest concerns was the size of the Gal and the ability to hide it. The Galaxy is big, but the terrain is HUGE. Galaxies can be hidden and in no way need cloaking. They are tough and can be defended. If they are taken down, they can be easily and QUICKLY replaced.

www.planetside-devildogs.com

Last edited by EVILPIG; 2012-08-31 at 10:17 AM.
Old 2012-08-31, 10:41 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Darkphoenyx
Private

The Galaxy is viable and actually is remarkably effective as a spawn point, but I would still like to see a ground vehicle that can operate as a spawn point (either a Sunderer or AMS, I don't really care which). I just like to have options in my gameplay.
Old 2012-08-31, 10:43 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Aaron
Contributor
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by EVILPIG View Post
The Galaxy is absolutely a viable spawn point and making the Sundy a spawn is unnecessary. So is the AMS.

One of the biggest concerns was the size of the Gal and the ability to hide it. The Galaxy is big, but the terrain is HUGE. Galaxies can be hidden and in no way need cloaking. They are tough and can be defended. If they are taken down, they can be easily and QUICKLY replaced.
I'd say they do work, but without cloaking they require a lot more man power.
Old 2012-08-31, 10:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Saxywolf
Private

Frankly, I'll miss the AMS. I loved charging through enemy lines to hide it just outside of the enemy base. Plus, it was invisible.

What if the galaxy had such a shield that could be turned on when deployed, but would also deactivate the guns, (and preferably be viewable by friendlies)?
Old 2012-08-31, 10:47 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Zebasiz
Corporal

The Galaxy works wonders as a spawn. The shielding allows her to take massive ammounts of damage. And makes it nigh on immune to most forms of damage. It takes sustained fire from a strong source, tank or Liberator, or a large group of infantry with anti-vehicle weapons to bring it down. And that is with no one defending the Galaxy.
Though I do wonder where the little shields for the spawning troops went.
Old 2012-08-31, 10:47 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
andehh
Corporal

Its is not viable at all.

The whole point of the galaxy (and AMS) was the additional spawn points closer to the action then outposts/towers. This is something the galaxy is incapable of doing due to its sheer size. The minute anyone spots one they think of the possible 12+ kills they can get in one shot and hammer it till the cows come home.

This instantly means the galaxies cannot be deployed anywhere near action...forcing you to talk a long walk to get into the battles!

Even with a cloak it is still a giant flying bathtub/missile magnet and it will NEVER be able to boost action by reducing time away from battles.
Old 2012-08-31, 10:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
EVILPIG
Contributor
Colonel

Originally Posted by andehh View Post
Its is not viable at all.

The whole point of the galaxy (and AMS) was the additional spawn points closer to the action then outposts/towers. This is something the galaxy is incapable of doing due to its sheer size. The minute anyone spots one they think of the possible 12+ kills they can get in one shot and hammer it till the cows come home.

This instantly means the galaxies cannot be deployed anywhere near action...forcing you to talk a long walk to get into the battles!

Even with a cloak it is still a giant flying bathtub/missile magnet and it will NEVER be able to boost action by reducing time away from battles.

Have you even played the Beta? Everything you said is completely incorrect. You can place Galaxies near the action and behind cover. Their survivability is good, even inside enemy courtyards. Hell, you can deploy a Galaxy on top of enemy based/towers and feed infantry into the fight for some time. I have personally Deployed my Galaxy on an air pad on top of an AMP station and with infantry constantly coming out of the top doors and enemy vehicles rolling around the CY below us, I was able to keep it up for 20 MINUTES. It's tough, you can repair it and you have an unlimited source of ammo to do so with. You can even use it's guns while it is deployed.

Old 2012-08-31, 10:58 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Crator
Major General

GAL is definatly viable. Best use case is being able to land it on air pads at locations you are attacking. That's great!

IMO, to give the players more options and make the battlefield more dynamic, we still need a ground vehicles that has a spawn point on it. They could even make it so you have to cert into the ground vehicle to give it more capabilities such as a cloak bubble, etc. Of course, they should give many feature and counters to those features to make it even more fun!
Old 2012-08-31, 10:58 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Canaris
Contributor
General

What I loved about the AMS is you could sneak it into places and set up a "rats nest" for your team to spawn at, I think one of the major problems with the Gal as a spawn you can't really sneak it anywhere. It's more of a kick in your front door spawn system.

"Can anybody see where the enemy are coming from.... never mind I can see there Gal failing to hide behind that mountain"

Also it can lead to some absurd things happening, We were attacking the crown the other night and set up a Gal on the outcropping above Zurvan, the VS then land a Gal side ways on our one and begin spawning at it.
I do love the addition of the side shields though, they were a great idea.

this beta right? I think I'd like to see the sunderer given a chance as an AMS to test out how they work for PS2.

"Don't matter who did what to who at this point. Fact is, we went to war, and now there ain't no going back. I mean shit, it's what war is, you know? Once you in it, you in it! If it's a lie, then we fight on that lie. But we gotta fight. "
Slim Charles aka Tallman - The Wire
BRTD Mumble Server powered by Gamercomms

Last edited by Canaris; 2012-08-31 at 11:00 AM.
Old 2012-08-31, 11:00 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Kromatic
Private

Some of the most fun moments I've had so far in the Beta have included landing a Galaxy near a hotspot. Usually on top of a mountain and slightly out of view of the enemy base. Then using it as a spawn point and dropping down and attacking the near-by base! It's like a base away from home!
Old 2012-08-31, 11:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Valcron
Master Sergeant

Pig, you are overstating the Galaxy. It's viable to a point, but it doesn't have the flexibility of the AMS.
Old 2012-08-31, 11:05 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
EVILPIG
Contributor
Colonel

The reason the AMS is not necessary in any way is because in addition to the Galaxy being so viable and just better for the role, though the map looks huge, it does not feel huge. Even running from place to place is fast compared to Planetside 1. Believe me, I always had AMS certed in 9 years of Planetside as they were the most powerful vehicle in the game, but that just isn't the case anymore. Play the Beta for a couple of months and you will see how true this is.

Old 2012-08-31, 11:06 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
Figment
Lieutenant General

Only viable in zergs and if you're bullying far smaller teams than yours.

It's not suited to spec ops. or any other type combat. Evilpig, I would like to remind you that your outfit is numerically a zerg (not saying anything about its organization), but you basically prove that it works within large groups of players. Just like medic class works in large groups of players, but is entirely insufficient for groups smaller than 10.

Last edited by Figment; 2012-08-31 at 11:08 AM.
Old 2012-08-31, 11:08 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
EVILPIG
Contributor
Colonel

Originally Posted by Valcron View Post
Pig, you are overstating the Galaxy. It's viable to a point, but it doesn't have the flexibility of the AMS.
If you are referring to a cloaking bubble, I completely disagree that claoking is needed on any spawn vehicle in Planetside 2. The cloaking is about survivability, which was a concern due to the time it would take to replace an AMS. If your Galaxy dies, you can spawn a new one and have it back in it's position in about 1 minute.

And to clarify, I have never believed that anyone's AMS "deserved" to live forever, as so many AMS drivers come off that way.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion